mixing and matching parts from BOSS Series 1 mills and Series 1 manual mills

Thread: mixing and matching parts from BOSS Series 1 mills and Series 1 manual mills

Downloads
    Uploads

Default mixing and matching parts from BOSS Series 1 mills and Series 1 manual mills

I am bringing a BOSS 3 back on line. To make a long story short the core mill is a BOSS 3, the betl, gear, and clutch covers from from a manual mill, and the upper drive parts and motor from a BOSS 8.
    Attached is a picture of a BOSS 8 motor; it shows an offset collor and what appears to be an extended shaft with two slots for C clips.
    It there an issue with assuming the BOSS 8 motor minus the spacer and with a C clip in the lower slot the motor will be compatible with the BOSS 8 mechanism and the manual covers?
    (the core drive parts appear to be compatible. The top three covers on the BOSS appear to be unique. The interface between the clutch plate and the lower casting appears to be common between the BOSS3, the BOSS 8, and the manual mills.)
    Thanks, Dan

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mixing and matching parts from BOSS Series 1 mills and Series 1 manual mills-2f_boss_motor_shaft-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: mixing and matching parts from BOSS Series 1 mills and Series 1 manual mills

Quote Originally Posted by dansawyer View Post
    I am bringing a BOSS 3 back on line. To make a long story short the core mill is a BOSS 3, the betl, gear, and clutch covers from from a manual mill, and the upper drive parts and motor from a BOSS 8.
    Attached is a picture of a BOSS 8 motor; it shows an offset collor and what appears to be an extended shaft with two slots for C clips.
    It there an issue with assuming the BOSS 8 motor minus the spacer and with a C clip in the lower slot the motor will be compatible with the BOSS 8 mechanism and the manual covers?
    (the core drive parts appear to be compatible. The top three covers on the BOSS appear to be unique. The interface between the clutch plate and the lower casting appears to be common between the BOSS3, the BOSS 8, and the manual mills.)
    Thanks, Dan
    The circlips and spacer will have to be in the correct place

If everything measurers the same them it will fit, the spacer is for alignment of the variable speed pulleys and is normally for a Boss 1 / 5 the spacer goes on the motor shaft first then the pulley, how you mount the motor also may make a difference for alignment, whether it is under or on top of the main housing

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: mixing and matching parts from BOSS Series 1 mills and Series 1 manual mills

Thank you. That is what I speculated. I am plan to switch the motor from the bottom (BOSS) to the top (manual) configuration. I am unable to find a BOSS 1 / 5 set of belt covers. I believe I have everything else. It seemed like the best path was to convert the top, gear cover up, to the manual configuration. I will have to be careful all this does not fall apart because of an alignment issue. I will measure the thckness of the clutch cover, the gear cover and the lower belt cover to ensure the base position of the spindle vari disc is in the correct place. If all that holds then standard motor configuration should work. (The upper belt cover is from a manual machine and motor clip position looks to match the manual configuration.)