Solved Bridgeport E-Z Track DX "Keyboard error" on bootup

Thread: Bridgeport E-Z Track DX "Keyboard error" on bootup

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bridgeport E-Z Track DX "Keyboard error" on bootup

I recently purchased a used Bridgeport knee mill with 2-axis E-Z Track DX which was not working. On boot-up it stops and displays "Keyboard error" and "Press F1 to continue" but pressing F1 does nothing. Tried another keyboard but same problem. Located another similar motherboard online and replaced, the keyboard now works but this MoBo had a Real Time Clock chip, so no accessible CMOS battery. The 3 volt button cell battery is potted inside the RTC so I carefully ground away a center portion of the RTC case with a dremil drill until I exsposed the battery. I removed the battery and soldered on wires, I connected the wires to a CR2023 button cell battery holder and epoxied the battery holder on top of the RTC. After installing a fresh 3 volt button cell (CR2023) and setting the CMOS paramiters the machine now works. So, my initial problem was a bad keyboard interface on the motherboard. Replacing the mobo fixed that but of course any MoBo that old will have a dead CMOS battery and many MoBo's of that era have an RTC chip which will need to be hardware hacked to replace the battery. I hope this helps someone out! Enjoy!