Need Help! Strange spindle problem (Bridgeport Interact 1 mk 2)

Thread: Strange spindle problem (Bridgeport Interact 1 mk 2)

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Strange spindle problem (Bridgeport Interact 1 mk 2)

Hi, I'm trying to get this old machine up and running but having an intermittent issue with the spindle.

I've had it spinning properly a couple of times but most of the time it doesn't move and just makes a buzzing sound.

The buffer battery had expired so I've just changed it, but I was having to enter the machine parameters fairly frequently, and I'm not sure if it's coincidence but it seemed the spindle was more likely to work after going through that process.

On a hunch I was wondering if the machine needed to warm up so I left it for an hour and then I got some even more unusual behaviour - oscillation in the spindle as shown in this video:

Any ideas?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Strange spindle problem (Bridgeport Interact 1 mk 2)

Hi,

I am not very familiar with your machine unfortunately. How is the spindle controller? Does it have a VFD or a servo drive? Does your spindle have feedback?

If your spindle has feedback to the controller/servo drive, it is quite likely an issue with the sensor (this kind of behaviour is common with spindles which have magnetic/hall effect sensors and the sensor gap is too much or the sensor is getting damaged). In this situation, your drive should give you an alarm after a few seconds of oscillation.

If it is just direct 3 phase or 1 phase power driven without a VFD or servo drive, it is quite likely that the spindle would have a clutch or belt drive unit which is where I would check to look for the problem.

Hope this helps out!

Best of luck!

Jaideep

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jaideep,

Thanks for the advice. I know the machine is powered off 3 phase but not sure about the spindle. I found another thread on a similar machine which points to it being a servo drive, so maybe it's a sensor issue as you suggest. No alarm - I have to M5 it.

I'm very much a beginner in this area (software developer by trade) so I've been trying to locate a maintenance manual, otherwise I'll start taking bits off, taking photos and doing research...

https://en.industryarena.com/forum/s...-157764-3.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Found another post which said these machines need to be warmed up, and the spindle started at no more than 1000rpm - lo and behold it started working Previously I was trying to start the spindle at about 2000 rpm.

Hopefully I'll be able to repeat the process tomorrow.

Also found a maintenance manual which looks incredibly useful!