How to make it stop screeching?!

Thread: How to make it stop screeching?!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to make it stop screeching?!

Okay so maybe it isn't so much screeching as an intermittent background noise like metal on metal. Machine is a 1996 Bridgeport VMC 600/22 and has been a great machine since we got it last year, milling lots of aluminium. However last week it began making the noise every 20 or 30 seconds for a couple of seconds at a time. It's loudest at 6,000rpm. No other noise, rumble or vibrations. Any suggestions?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to make it stop screeching?!

It might be time for a spindle rebuild. Sounds like the bearings are going out.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    It might be time for a spindle rebuild. Sounds like the bearings are going out.
    That's what we thought. How long would it typically take before it becomes unusable? We have a few jobs to go out so ideally these would be finished before having the spindle taken out, although we'd get the engineer to confirm prior to removal.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Katanadan View Post
    That's what we thought. How long would it typically take before it becomes unusable?
    Nobody can really answer that question, all based on luck really. Compromised bearing(s) aren't necessarily something you can call usable at the first place, if this is confirmed to be the problem, mind you.
    I would monitor both the spindle temperature ramping curve and the operation temp closely. If really you need to process those parts...

Downloads
    Uploads

Nobody can really answer that question, all based on luck really.
    Yeah. Somewhere between three milliseconds and thirty years.

If it's the bearings, I'd expect it to take a toll on tool life, cut accuracy, and surface finish also.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by __Britt View Post
    Yeah. Somewhere between three milliseconds and thirty years.

If it's the bearings, I'd expect it to take a toll on tool life, cut accuracy, and surface finish also.

Certainly noticing a bit of chatter but that could be our work holding. I'm hoping someone near to us will be able to come out and diagnose the issue and rebuild the spindle if that's what is required. Would bearings not make a continuous sound if they were on their way out? Is it normal for a sound to fade in and out randomly when bearings are the suspect? I wondered if it could be related to the motor.