Need Help! Is there a VFD-kit for series1?

Thread: Is there a VFD-kit for series1?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Is there a VFD-kit for series1?

Hi,

I've recently opened up some free time, and I finally can get some work done on my small mill... or so I thought.....

I thought only the pneumatic gear that drives the worm for the variable spindle speed was broken, but after replacing it came to light that it was probably broken because of sticky relays...
    This causes the pneumatic thingy to keep spinning, and putting unnecessary forces on the chain/belt system...

Now, I'm all for a challenge, so I thought to myself: wouldn't this be way easier if I'd just replace this noisy, dangerous (because if you change speeds with the spindle off, it's gonna break again), old system with a set of solid pulleys and a VFD?

VFD's are good to come by, but I'm gonna need a set of pulleys that fit too... not to mention maybe some advice on what (or what not!) to do...

Thanks in advance!

The machine:
    Is there a VFD-kit for series1?-img_20190717_162345-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Is there a VFD-kit for series1?

Quote Originally Posted by Pj3r View Post
    Hi,

I've recently opened up some free time, and I finally can get some work done on my small mill... or so I thought.....

I thought only the pneumatic gear that drives the worm for the variable spindle speed was broken, but after replacing it came to light that it was probably broken because of sticky relays...
    This causes the pneumatic thingy to keep spinning, and putting unnecessary forces on the chain/belt system...

Now, I'm all for a challenge, so I thought to myself: wouldn't this be way easier if I'd just replace this noisy, dangerous (because if you change speeds with the spindle off, it's gonna break again), old system with a set of solid pulleys and a VFD?

VFD's are good to come by, but I'm gonna need a set of pulleys that fit too... not to mention maybe some advice on what (or what not!) to do...

Thanks in advance!

The machine:
    Is there a VFD-kit for series1?-img_20190717_162345-jpg
    Your machine does not have the original main spindle motor, so not sure what you have, for best results it's a good Idea to use a 2 pulley system where you can change the Ratio around 1.5 : 1 in both directions 1:1 does work but can not normally go below 1000 RPM as the motor torque is to low, not sure from the photo as to what machine Boss or other you have, the photo is just an Idea of what can be done with these heads

What is the timing pulley ratio of the Y axes this will give me an idea of what model machine you have

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is there a VFD-kit for series1?-bridgeport-head-mod-2-jpg  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Is that the top view of your mentioned 2-pulley system? I'd like something like that, that's pretty much exactly what I meant! Currently my topside setup looks like this: LINK_TOP
    I was a little bit baffled that you could tell what system I got by the Y-axis pulleys, but at the motor it's 11 and at the axis it's 24 teeth. LINK_Y

As far as the motor (LINK_MOTOR) is concerned, I'm aware that it's not the original, and I'd seriously want to reduce the RPMs for "regular" use, and I don't think that I'll do anything about 1000 with this particular machine. Mostly brass/steel and a bit of aluminium (for which I have single flute cutters, as to get the desired surface speed.. or at least get a LITTLE closer).

I am also aware that it produces a lot more HP than normal, so maybe I can use a bit more forgiving pulley ratio?
    I was thinking a pulley with 2 or 3 v-belts on it (I've seen it on various machines. Those were larger, granted, but seemed like a secure system) so a slight misalignment would be caught that way... any thoughts would be more than welcome!

Downloads
    Uploads

Is that the top view of your mentioned 2-pulley system? I'd like something like that, that's pretty much exactly what I meant! Currently my topside setup looks like this: LINK_TOP
    I was a little bit baffled that you could tell what system I got by the Y-axis pulleys, but at the motor it's 11 and at the axis it's 24 teeth. LINK_Y

As far as the motor (LINK_MOTOR) is concerned, I'm aware that it's not the original, and I'd seriously want to reduce the RPMs for "regular" use, and I don't think that I'll do anything about 1000 with this particular machine. Mostly brass/steel and a bit of aluminium (for which I have single flute cutters, as to get the desired surface speed.. or at least get a LITTLE closer).

I am also aware that it produces a lot more HP than normal, so maybe I can use a bit more forgiving pulley ratio?
    I was thinking a pulley with 2 or 3 v-belts on it (I've seen it on various machines. Those were larger, granted, but seemed like a secure system) so a slight misalignment would be caught that way... any thoughts would be more than welcome!
    3Hp was standard, some had 5Hp A Poly-V belt is the best for these belt drives here is another one that was done by another Bridgeport user, it has the same head as you have, I think this was a 2:1 with the option for high speed and lower speed

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is there a VFD-kit for series1?-bridgeport-z-axes-pulley-3-jpg  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    3Hp was standard, some had 5Hp A Poly-V belt is the best for these belt drives here is another one that was done by another Bridgeport user, it has the same head as you have, I think this was a 2:1 with the option for high speed and lower speed
    Yep something like that looks like what I have in mind.. any idea where I can source the pulleys and belt?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep something like that looks like what I have in mind.. any idea where I can source the pulleys and belt?
    You have to custom make them, I don't think you will find anything close to these, they are not hard to make and you can get the spec's for the belt profile a ( J ) type Belt is what most use, you can also look at used automotive pulleys as a possible source, you would just have to make the motor and main drive pulley mounting parts

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is there a VFD-kit for series1?-poly-v-belt-j-section-specs-png  
    Mactec54