ANOTHER Bridgeport Mill conversion ( Build ) - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ANOTHER Bridgeport Mill conversion ( Build )

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: ANOTHER Bridgeport Mill conversion ( Build )

I did the motor swap to nema 40's had to make shaft adapters. Built a 70v power supply and using gecko G201x drives. My Boss 5 has 2 to 1 reduction on the lead screws. I kept the travel dials they help in calibrating mach3. Has the Kwik Switch 200 spindle tooling can be hard to get at reasonable prices. Them beasts are one stout machines.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machinejack View Post
    I did the motor swap to nema 40's had to make shaft adapters. Built a 70v power supply and using gecko G201x drives. My Boss 5 has 2 to 1 reduction on the lead screws. I kept the travel dials they help in calibrating mach3. Has the Kwik Switch 200 spindle tooling can be hard to get at reasonable prices. Them beasts are one stout machines.
    Boss 5 did not come with 2:1, only 1:1, did you change them, if you did not then you have a Boss 6 which came standard with 2:1 your machine # will tell you what you have

The travel dials are of no use if you are doing a modern retro

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Made some serious progress on removing the old controls from the Bridgeport. i was going to strip out the cabinet and save the transformers and other electronicals, but, i feel like it will take me another half day to complete. So, off to the scrapper they go ! Now to decide if i will move the rear cabinet to the side. It will be easier to access the electronics but i will have to cut the cabinet and reweld the lower mounting bracket. I wont be able to do any serious work till next saturday so i have a week to decide..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ANOTHER Bridgeport Mill conversion ( Build )-20190209_123047-jpg   ANOTHER Bridgeport Mill conversion ( Build )-20190209_141052-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Was told it was a boss 5 when I bought it. I made no changes to it other that replace the motors and controls. has a serial number stamped on the ways of "CNC 4208" will this tell us more about it?
    Jack

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Its newer than mine.. i have 1804 and 1 to 1 pulleys hey Machine Jack.. how bout some pics !!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hay I'm at the age that I am lucky to be able to answer the telephone the first button push. I think I have an old Kodak laying around somewhere. I do have a small camera but posting the pictures may be a challenge. Will see what turns up. What cam system will you be using? I was using an old Mastercam X4 that the boss donated to me when they upgraded when I was still drawing a pay check. Recently my engineer son fixed me up with a seat from where he works and I now sport MC 2017 now that is a big relearning curve. I tried Auto Cad Fusion but found it to complicated so I'm sticking with MC. Trying to grasp solid modeling as I want to be able to machine patterns for my metal casting interest.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Was told it was a boss 5 when I bought it. I made no changes to it other that replace the motors and controls. has a serial number stamped on the ways of "CNC 4208" will this tell us more about it?
    Jack
    Boss6 was the start of 2:1 ratios, they still look like a Boss5 just a few upgrades that they had that where different mostly electrical, so could of been called any of the Boss range up until they went to servos

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Boss6 was the start of 2:1 ratios, they still look like a Boss5 just a few upgrades that they had that where different mostly electrical, so could of been called any of the Boss range up until they went to servos
    Mactec would love to see more pictures of that beautiful machine... id like to get a good one to make my computer background !!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hay I'm at the age that I am lucky to be able to answer the telephone the first button push. I think I have an old Kodak laying around somewhere. I do have a small camera but posting the pictures may be a challenge. Will see what turns up. What cam system will you be using? I was using an old Mastercam X4 that the boss donated to me when they upgraded when I was still drawing a pay check. Recently my engineer son fixed me up with a seat from where he works and I now sport MC 2017 now that is a big relearning curve. I tried Auto Cad Fusion but found it to complicated so I'm sticking with MC. Trying to grasp solid modeling as I want to be able to machine patterns for my metal casting interest.

Jack will be using Fusion 360 hoping to get some help from my son's college crew

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123