Spindle play torq cut 22 with transmission

Thread: Spindle play torq cut 22 with transmission

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spindle play torq cut 22 with transmission

Have a Torq cut 22 I'm trying to revive. I bought it in as is Parts only condition. So far everything has come alive and started working except for the gear changing. I have another Torq cut but it does not have the transmission so I have nothing to compare.

When you grab the spindle with your bare hand is there slop rocking back and forth? I can feel looseness back to the gearbox I believe on this machine. I cannot imagine that that is good.

I'm also having issues with it shifting gears. At first it was in low gear and I could run the spindle. I tried to run at higher RPM but I would get a time out for the high low switch. I checked the oil over the transmission and topped it off. Now it is in neutral it is somewhere between high and low and I cannot get it to go either way.

I have tried some of the suggestions that I have found here in the forms with no success. Does anyone have any recommendations beyond pulling the motor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle play torq cut 22 with transmission

Go to side of the machine and use a small punch or hex wrench to press the manual pilot buttons on the pneumatic solenoids. press and hold in the "shot pin" pilot button while at the same time pressing either the "high or low" button to manually put it into gear. It may also be necessary to have a friend rotate the spindle a bit while you are doing this.

Then try warming the spindle at either the high or low gear that you selected for say 20 minutes. I find the shifts become more reliable once it warms up a bit. I think the shift point is somewhere around 1200 RPM. You should also be able to tell if it is in gear by a red indicator light on the shift cylinder prox. sensor located on the top right side of the sheet metal spindle shroud.

EDIT: Oh by the way these gearboxes are quite loud compared to the direct drive models. Actually quite shrill at the max. 6000 RPM. But it is certainly nice to run a big 4+ inch swath across a block of steel with a face mill with the extra torque.

Downloads
    Uploads

+1 to what jmullett said. These gearboxes are noisy.

On my TC-3G I had to replace the motor bearings and the pinion. It helped a lot. I then swapped the gearbox because it was still louder than I expected. I sold my old gearbox to a user here and he rebuilt it for his machine. I have a long thread over on WW with the details and a video of my spindle running as a comparative. https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...ew-(to-me)-VMC

I'd also make sure the lines to the shift cylinder are blown clean.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have read the suggestions that I have found on ww and on this form. At this point it is a neutral and will not shift either way. I have already tried the manual shifting method that was described some years ago in this forum. It looks like I might need to remove the rotac and see if it is stuck.

I've checked the Airlines and I have air blowing out of both of them. I put a small amount of oil into the rotac in case the O-rings were stuck. This machine has set up for many years without being turned on.

Downloads
    Uploads

Good luck on the rotac diagnostic. Feel free to let us know how it goes with some pics of the disassembly. The rebuild kits for them are still available from Turn-Act (P/N SK-061, Seal Kit for Rotary Actuator). I purchased one more than a year ago, but have yet to find the lull time to tear it apart.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cooperjm View Post
    Have a Torq cut 22 I'm trying to revive. I bought it in as is Parts only condition. So far everything has come alive and started working except for the gear changing. I have another Torq cut but it does not have the transmission so I have nothing to compare.

When you grab the spindle with your bare hand is there slop rocking back and forth? I can feel looseness back to the gearbox I believe on this machine. I cannot imagine that that is good.

I'm also having issues with it shifting gears. At first it was in low gear and I could run the spindle. I tried to run at higher RPM but I would get a time out for the high low switch. I checked the oil over the transmission and topped it off. Now it is in neutral it is somewhere between high and low and I cannot get it to go either way.

I have tried some of the suggestions that I have found here in the forms with no success. Does anyone have any recommendations beyond pulling the motor.

Jim,
    How did you get along with the transmission?
    I was checking mine and the transmission is nearly dry. Have to buy some of that fancy Mobil SHC626. Wondering how badly it leaks.

Also wondering how much of a job it is to remove the transmission, A) Completely and just run with the motor, B) to rebuild the transmission.

Marty

Downloads
    Uploads

I rebuilt the rotac with the seal kit. All the seals inside were crumbling that was the main issue. The rotac can be removed by only removing the motor.

Currently it's shifts gears 95% of the time. Sometimes I get a shot pain fail to retract error. I would suspect that the shot pin could use new seals also. The transmission has to be removed to take the shot pin out though. So at this time I will leave it alone and just keep running it.

I did not take pictures while doing this since I was in a hurry to get it together and out the door. I lifted the motor off the top of the machine with straps and a bar over the rafters in the garage.

Both Emi and BPT parts sells the oil for the transmission. They also sell the seal kit for the road tack

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cooperjm View Post
    I rebuilt the rotac with the seal kit. All the seals inside were crumbling that was the main issue. The rotac can be removed by only removing the motor.

Currently it's shifts gears 95% of the time. Sometimes I get a shot pain fail to retract error. I would suspect that the shot pin could use new seals also. The transmission has to be removed to take the shot pin out though. So at this time I will leave it alone and just keep running it.

I did not take pictures while doing this since I was in a hurry to get it together and out the door. I lifted the motor off the top of the machine with straps and a bar over the rafters in the garage.

Both Emi and BPT parts sells the oil for the transmission. They also sell the seal kit for the road tack

I saw two solenoids to the right of the motor on top of the transmission. Where is the Rotac and the shot pin?
    My transmission was nearly empty of oil. I did order some. Hoping it helps things.
    I am tempted to remove the transmission if it becomes problematic. Though I understand a rebuild kit can still be had from the manufacturer. I ran across that post, but now can't find it.....

Marty