Hardinge Cobra 42 vfd problem

Thread: Hardinge Cobra 42 vfd problem

Default Hardinge Cobra 42 vfd problem

I just replaced the old Magnatek GPD505 drive because it took a dump. I bought a Yaskawa A1000 drive to replace it with because it was supposed to be plug and play they said. I knew it was to good to be true!!! My problem is I don't know what to set the parameters to on the drive because the old Drive burnt up and the previous maintenance guy never stored the parameters on a log sheet. Anybody ever hooked up a Yaskawa A1000 drive on a Hardinge lathe, or happen to know the parameter settings for the old Drive,

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hardinge Cobra 42 vfd problem

Quote Originally Posted by Dsenterfitt View Post
    I just replaced the old Magnatek GPD505 drive because it took a dump. I bought a Yaskawa A1000 drive to replace it with because it was supposed to be plug and play they said. I knew it was to good to be true!!! My problem is I don't know what to set the parameters to on the drive because the old Drive burnt up and the previous maintenance guy never stored the parameters on a log sheet. Anybody ever hooked up a Yaskawa A1000 drive on a Hardinge lathe, or happen to know the parameter settings for the old Drive,

There is no such thing as a plug and play VFD Drive unless they where preprogramed, it is quite easy to set them up though all you need is your motor specs and how it was being controlled, the A1000 is quite a different drive for the old GPD505

What caused the GPD505 to burn up they are a rock and where hard to damage these drives

How have you been powering your machine

Mactec54

The machine has been hooked up and running for 7-8 years on 3phase, my guess is a power surge, I checked the power coming in to the lathe, checked power going to the drive, the voltage is right. Took the spindle motor off and sent it off to be checked to make sure it didn't cause the problem, it checked out good. I couldn't find any other issues with the machine that would cause the drive to go out. We got the A1000 drive in ,he said it was just going to be plug and play I didn't really believe that but anyways. My problem is that first the spindle wouldn't turn on by the fanuc controller, now it will but when you type in m3s2000 for forward 2000rpm it is only actually turning and reading 672rpms same for the m4 reverse command. It will let you jog X&Y when the spindle isn't running, but when you go to run the program it won't move X&Y when it turns on the spindle, if the spindle isn't on it will move X and y. It has to be in the parameters. We had a Yaskawa tech come today, and he said it's in the parameters. but he doesn't know what to set them to because he doesn't know what the settings was in the old Drive so basically we paid him 150 an HR for 6hrs for nothing

Downloads
    Uploads

The machine has been hooked up and running for 7-8 years on 3phase, my guess is a power surge, I checked the power coming in to the lathe, checked power going to the drive, the voltage is right. Took the spindle motor off and sent it off to be checked to make sure it didn't cause the problem, it checked out good. I couldn't find any other issues with the machine that would cause the drive to go out. We got the A1000 drive in ,he said it was just going to be plug and play I didn't really believe that but anyways. My problem is that first the spindle wouldn't turn on by the fanuc controller, now it will but when you type in m3s2000 for forward 2000rpm it is only actually turning and reading 672rpms same for the m4 reverse command. It will let you jog X&Y when the spindle isn't running, but when you go to run the program it won't move X&Y when it turns on the spindle, if the spindle isn't on it will move X and y. It has to be in the parameters. We had a Yaskawa tech come today, and he said it's in the parameters. but he doesn't know what to set them to because he doesn't know what the settings was in the old Drive so basically we paid him 150 an HR for 6hrs for nothing

7-8 years it should of been serviced at around 4 years Yaskawa recommends that the Capacitors be changed every 2 years I have found 4 to 5 years is a good time to do this, depending on use, so was way over due for this

So the control may only be out putting a low voltage how is the control connected to the VFD this you can check with a meter what is the max RPM of the lathe

It may also be controlled by a pulse train as well and not voltage

Can you take a photo of the Terminals that are connected on the VFD this will be the low voltage connections that will be under the cover of the VFD

Mactec54

This was the old Magnatek Gpd 505

This is the new A1000 drive. the Yaskawa tech unhooked m1 and the jumper from MC to M2. He also unhooked the 2 wires that was connected to the 3phase controller which went to S6 and SC. I hooked up every wire like it originally was in the old drive. The only difference hooking it up was that on the new drive their isn't a FC or FV. And the Yaskawa tech said that FC supposed to go to AC and FV is supposed to go to A1. Maybe that is the problem I don't know. Like I said I'm lost, if it was a Fadal cnc I wouldn't have a problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dsenterfitt

This could be just a ratio or scaling setting, is there a pulley ratio between the motor and spindle

So the tec set all your motor Parameters and did a Auto Tune if he did this then just should be ratio and scaling Parameters to set

Wiring is correct AC is the same as FC both are common

Program your control to max RPM M3S-------- start and then with a meter check what voltage you have at A1 and AC terminals

Mactec54

Found out that the problem was the I/O board was, when the I/I board was plugged in from the factory they bent a prong on the connector which shorted out the board. And the parameters was wrong . I have it all up and running now, I saved all of the parameters on to the Yaskawa A1000 app and downloaded it on to a memory stick just in case anyone ever needs the parameters for a Hardinge Cobra 42 to run a A1000 drive. So maybe next time someone won't have to go through all of the trouble I did. I appreciate all of the help

Downloads
    Uploads

Found out that the problem was the I/O board was, when the I/I board was plugged in from the factory they bent a prong on the connector which shorted out the board. And the parameters was wrong . I have it all up and running now, I saved all of the parameters on to the Yaskawa A1000 app and downloaded it on to a memory stick just in case anyone ever needs the parameters for a Hardinge Cobra 42 to run a A1000 drive. So maybe next time someone won't have to go through all of the trouble I did. I appreciate all of the help

What are the spec's of the spindle motor, I would be interested in what the motor is and your final Parameters you set

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

could you send me a copy as have problem with a 42 and probably will change drive

Downloads
    Uploads

Would appreciate it if anyone here could send me these parameters or further info as our GPD 505 on Cobra 42 is dead.

Downloads
    Uploads

i need the parameters for a Hardinge Cobra 42 to run a A1000 drive. i can't move the spindle, maybe this is the issue