Newbie VFD Question

Thread: VFD Question

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default VFD Question

I'm on the lookout to purchase a Series I or II Bridgeport (non CNC), and am wondering about the VFD. Will a single VFD feed the spindle as well as the table feed motors?

I'm open to suggestions on places to look for these mills, I'm in ND, and there isn't much available in my area. Also any reasons to go Series I or II?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VFD Question

Quote Originally Posted by bwthor View Post
    I'm on the lookout to purchase a Series I or II Bridgeport (non CNC), and am wondering about the VFD. Will a single VFD feed the spindle as well as the table feed motors?
    If you get a BP with the 3 phase table drives, then a rotary phase converter might be the best. While it is possible to run multiple motors on a VFD, it might be more trouble than it's worth. Many BPs have Servo brand table feed motors or similar, and thus they are 120V AC motors so no 3 phase needed for them.

I'm open to suggestions on places to look for these mills, I'm in ND, and there isn't much available in my area. Also any reasons to go Series I or II?
    I use Search Tempest https://www.searchtempest.com/ Allows you to search all of Craigslist, Ebay and Amazon in one shot. Just set the distance you are willing to travel and your price range and press search.

Series I or Series II, just depends on how large of machine you need. The Series II is a much larger machine. Also, don't discount the higher quality import machines, they are just as well built as a BP.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the quick reply Jim. I didn't realize the Series II was that much larger, just thought they were newer. Again, I'm just getting started in my search and research, and at this point all I've figured out is that I'm going to get one, just not sure what yet...

So, any recommendations on quality imports to watch for?

Downloads
    Uploads

For imports, Kent, Eagle, Supermax, Enco, Jet, Exacto, Topwell, and a few others that I am forgetting about. There are 3 different sizes of the common knee mills. The Series I BP size, normally with a 9x42 or 9x48 table, about 2200 lbs. The intermediate size, normally with a 10x48 or 10x52 table, about a 3400 lb machine. And the Series II size, normally with a 10x52 table as I recall, and about 4500 lbs. There are also a three variants of the intermediate size, V ways on the Y axis like a BP, box ways on the Y axis, and box ways on both the Y axis and knee. As far as I know, all of them have V ways on the X axis. They all work fine, but I think the box ways are a bit more stable for heavier cutting.

Last edited by Jim Dawson; 04-20-2018 at 08:21 AM.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

The VFD Drive can only supply power for the spindle, you can power the Transformer with you regular 120/240v single phase supply for the table feeds, it will depend on what the transformer needs, most of the feed motors are low voltage DC on these manual mill

The snip is a Series I as you can see a standard 120v supply is all that is needed for the Table feeds, the series II is almost the same

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD Question-bridgeport-table-feed-jpg  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

depends on the table feed motor and how its driven.

the variable speed table feed motor on the bridgeport i use at work runs on 120vac 60hz. i suspect its a series wound motor with a triac for speed control. not something you need to run from a vfd.