Problem Newbie Boss5 spindle gear issues ?

Thread: Newbie Boss5 spindle gear issues ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie Boss5 spindle gear issues ?

After a very long build I finally have my Boss5 converted and running. I am trying to cut some holes in .5 steel and having problems. I am using a 3/4 solid carbide 4 flute endmill and trying to use a helical tool path to get through the material then spiral out to final diameter. The problem I am having is that shortly after the cutter starts to engage the material the spindle stalls. What seems to be happening is that the High/ low lever seems to be going into the neutral position. The first time it happened I thought maybe I didn't have it completely engaged but it happened again. Just wasted 2 endmills (OUCH) and only have one more. I am using g wizard to calculate my feeds and speeds. Spindle speed is 1210 feed is around 15 ipm with a helical toolpath diameter of .75 and a 3 degree ramp angle. I had assumed that the material was mild steel. after having issues i realized that it may be AR400. A file test makes me think it's probably mild steel as it seems to "notch" fairly easily with the corner of a file. I am hoping someone may have some pointers for me as I'm kind of under the gun to get these done for one of our machines. At this point I'm wondering if I should get one of our mag drill bits and use it to start the hole then just enlarge with the mill.

Thank you!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie Boss5 spindle gear issues ?

I had the same problem with my BP clone. The pin that engages the hole in the shift plate was too large for the hole and only the edge of the taper was engaging. I enlarged the holes to fit properly and ended the problem.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I will have to check that tomorrow. I am pretty sure that my plate doesn't have a hole or anything for the pin to lock it in high, only low. I have another boss5 at work I'll check that to see if it is different.

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

So apparently my machine was missing a small insert that has the hole for high gear and a notch for neutral. I was able to take it off my other machine and it is working just fine now!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by amishmafia00 View Post
    So apparently my machine was missing a small insert that has the hole for high gear and a notch for neutral. I was able to take it off my other machine and it is working just fine now!
    That's what happens when someone does not put thing back together with all the parts, that part is also adjustable to get full engagement

Mactec54