Help needed - Bridgeport Series 1 BOSS 4 - worked, now cuts big ?

Thread: Help needed - Bridgeport Series 1 BOSS 4 - worked, now cuts big ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help needed - Bridgeport Series 1 BOSS 4 - worked, now cuts big ?

Hi

I'm looking for some help with a problem that has me stumped.

I have a Series 1 Bridgeport BOSS 4, it was a fully original machine, updated with a win Xp machine and hillbilly BOB driving the stock controllers. About 3 years ago on the last cut of a job the Y axis blew a fuse, it was cooked. So i replaced just that axis with a Gecko G213v and 72v switchmode PSU.

This setup worked 2 years ago, I made parts.

The machine sat idle for around a year and a half, I fire it up maybe a month ago. The xp computer struggles and takes some prodding but it comes back to life. (now it fires up no problem) I go to make parts and find that the Y axis is cutting big. 0.010-0.020 big over 1.000" cut. X axis is holding tolerance fine. I've tried checking travel with an indicator and it appears to be in spec. The cuts are consistent, consistently over-travel in the Y.

I'm stumped as to what could be causing the problem? or what would have changed over 2 years from sitting idle?

help? any ideas?

thanks, TT

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by teamtiki; 03-12-2018 at 10:54 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help needed - Bridgeport Series 1 BOSS 4 - worked, now cuts big ?

Electrical noise throwing a few extra steps on the Y axis maybe? Loose connection? Some moisture in the system after sitting? A little corrosion on one of the connectors? Maybe a spider in the works?

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help needed - Bridgeport Series 1 BOSS 4 - worked, now cuts big ?

I am having some similar problems. I just got my retrofit done and I am milling some holes in .5 AR400. My holes aren't coming out round. They seem to be kind oblong. I haven't gotten a chance to take real good measurements but they are over size which would make sense if I was getting extra steps. The crazy thing is that it seems to be very consistent. I spiral out to final diameter and I can hear the machine working harder when it gets to the upper left and lower right quadrants on every revolution. I return to 0 and it's always off. I wonder if my cheap china VFD is part of the problem