More BOSS mods...

Thread: More BOSS mods...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default More BOSS mods...

Finally got the monitor and keyboard mounted, much nicer to use now. I ended up getting a keyboard with a touchpad to eliminate the mouse.

Note one other change. I replaced the speed changer air motor with a DC motor. I was able to use the existing pushbutton and existing 24v supply. One less reason to run the air compressor!

Joe

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More BOSS mods...-dcp_1223-jpg   More BOSS mods...-dcp_1224-jpg  
    If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Nice Job!

Joe,
    You have a great looking conversion there. It looks like we have sister machines- except yours is much better looking. Also, I have the manual speed changer. Could you please help me out with some questions on the air brake? When I supply air pressure to my machine the brake activates and stays on no matter what I do. I traced the wires to the solenoid valve into the main transformer cabinet. They attach to the terminal strip in the bottom of the cabinet. I can't trace them any further.
    Also, you have a switch box on the left side of your machine's spindle. What is that one for?

Here's a picture of my head when I first got it- yes, it's very dirty.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More BOSS mods...-head2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have the same machine also.
    Nice work on the mods.
    The box on the left controls the brake and the air speed control. The one switch is for the brake, auto or off. The other is speed up/down for the speed control. If your brake doesn't turn off it sounds like it either needs a spring for a return or the double acting portion of the cylinder or the solenoid is not functioning.

Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

The box on mine also has a relay inside it that turns the brake on and off. Is it possible yours is suppose to have the box but doesn't?

If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!

Downloads
    Uploads

Joe,
    No, mine has no evidence of anything that would have been mounted on the side like that. On the inside of the power cabinet (where the air solenoid power wires terminate) there is a plate that says that my machine has been updated with a retrofit kit. I think that might be our answer. I still can't find any switch that controls the solenoid, though.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

I am not sure how mine was set up originally as I ripped everything out before I even used the mill. When I rewired for my retrofit I used one of the auxilliary contacts on the motor contactor to switch the brake solenoid. That way when I switch on the spindle the brake is released and when I stop the spindle the brake is activated. I have a capacitor in the DC Feed to the brake just to provide a 1 second delay before the brake will work, this was needed because my VFD would trip out on overcurrent with the spindle being stopped right away.
    Hood

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I am not sure how mine was set up originally as I ripped everything out before I even used the mill. When I rewired for my retrofit I used one of the auxilliary contacts on the motor contactor to switch the brake solenoid. That way when I switch on the spindle the brake is released and when I stop the spindle the brake is activated. I have a capacitor in the DC Feed to the brake just to provide a 1 second delay before the brake will work, this was needed because my VFD would trip out on overcurrent with the spindle being stopped right away.
    Hood
    Hood, were you the one with the cool touch screen or am i mistaken.
    archie =) =) =)

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, have a touch screen on the Mill, and also have one for the lathe I am doing at the moment, would find it very hard to do a retro without a touch screen
    Below is a pic of the unfinished Lathe panel.

Hood

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hood, that's the picture I have been looking for, for 3 or 4 days. what kind of touch screen are you using.
    Thanks
    archie =) =) =)

Downloads
    Uploads

On the mill (see below) its a Samsung with a touch panel addon. The Lathe is a new ELO Kiosk screen I got on eBay. The Samsung is a resistive type and the ELO is a SAW type. I was told that the best type to get was capacitive but have never had a problem with the Resistive on the mill. The one on the lathe however could be a problem as I have found out that coolant splashed on it can activate it. It wont be a problem for the lathe as it will be nowhere near coolant but I thought I would mention it as it would be a problem on the mill as mine regularly gets covered in coolant.
    Hood

Downloads
    Uploads

I like that mpg! What size servos are you using? Is that coolant pan a factory item?

Downloads
    Uploads

MPG is great, not sure if it will be as usefull on the lathe but I couldnt do without it on the mill and I would think it will be the same on the lathe.

Its not servos, they are 916oz/in steppers.

Yes the coolant tray is a factory item, nearly every Bridgeport (manual or CNC) that I have seen has one in the UK. I was actually very surprised to hear from George (Machintek) that the USA Bridgeports dont use the base of the column as a coolant tank, all UK ones do. The coolant pump is in the base and there is a panel on the back to gain access.
    Hood

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sweet! I want one.....

John Delaney
    www.rwicooking.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jdelaney44 View Post
    Sweet! I want one.....
    What? a MPG or a UK Built Bridgeport?
    Hood

Downloads
    Uploads

Hood, very nice set up!
    Curious, what is the control software you are using? I cant get a fix on it from the picture (of the touch screen.)

MPG= Manual Pulse Generator??

thanks

9 1/2
    B.C.I.T. Machinist CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 9 1/2 View Post
    Hood, very nice set up!
    Curious, what is the control software you are using? I cant get a fix on it from the picture (of the touch screen.)

MPG= Manual Pulse Generator??

thanks
    Its Mach3 although it doesnt look like that now as I have made my own screen set with larger buttons as the standard screen wasnt the best for a touch screen. Below is a pic of the front page of my screenset.

Yes thats correct, MPG=Manual Pulse Generator

Hood

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

A nice Series II like that, that is a series II yes? MPG and all..... I also like your Mach screen.

John Delaney
    www.rwicooking.com

Downloads
    Uploads

No its a series 1, wish it was a series 2 Series 2 have a much larger column and travels are bigger as well.
    Thanks for the comments regards the screen, you can download quite a few different screensets that guys have made up, they are on the Mach Downloads page I think.
    Hood