Diagram of lube system

Thread: Diagram of lube system

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Diagram of lube system

I was wondering if anyone has a diagram showing the location of the lubrication pipes/meters for a Bridgeport seies 1 CNC. I dont think the oil is getting to the gib side of the table properly as its a lot dryer than the other side (back). Can I get to the meter without removing the table?
    Hood

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Hood, do you have a maintenance manual? I will look in mine when I get to the office.

George

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi George, I got one with the mill but it doesnt have anything about the lube system at all, it was just a photocopy so possibly there are pages missing.
    Hood

Downloads
    Uploads

Attached is a scan of the way oil system and where the pieces are located from a BOSS 8. The iron design is the same as the BOSS 3 through 6. It may help you. The older BOSS books are very limited in the way oil parts. Example, the head diagram does show some of the oil lines.

George

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diagram of lube system-boss-8-way-oil-system-pdf  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent, thanks !!!!!

Hood

Downloads
    Uploads

Moved the table over today and took each of the meters out one by one and tried blasting air through them, all except two were almost blocked but I managed to get them clear by soking them in gunwash and using the air gun. The one on the head that feeds to the lower end of the quill was totally clogged and I couldnt get it cleared so have left it soaking overnight to see.
    I think I will get some new ones just in case my cleaning is not 100%.
    Anyone have web address where these meters can be ordered, I am in the UK but USA address, or for that matter any place, would be appreciated.

Hood

Downloads
    Uploads

Forgot to ask, anyone know how to gain access to the meter that feeds the Quill bearings and ball nut? Removed all the side panels and cant see a way, wondering if I have to remove the top part of the head?

Hood

Downloads
    Uploads

http://www.bijur.com/

Or Google BIJUR to see who else carries the stuff.

BTW, good work!

George

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks george, have looked at the Bijur site but cant see prices listed, but also found another site H&W who have them listed. One problem is, I never thought of taking down the numbers on the meters as I just presumed they would come in a set. Looks like I will have to shift the table over again to get the numbers
    The meter for the quill was still blocked so hauled one off my manual mill, its not the same number but will do until I get the proper ones. Still cant find how to access the ballnut/bearings meters in the head, the diagram I have of the head is a bit different than mine as it has the t piece up at the ball nut where mine is actually under the side panel, possibly there are no meters to the ball nut but will haul off the top cover to see if I can gain access that way.
    Hood

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mine has a meter down by the pump, then I believe the line runs straight to the screw (Boss 5). The Maintenance manual says the quill is lube by the waste oil from the ballscrew so it sounds like their wouldn't be any meters in the head. I am due to look into it also though, I had to unclog all of my table meters and I am not positive the z axis is getting anything. I have been manually lubing it until I can tear into it.

If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!

Downloads
    Uploads

The pipe on mine runs up to the right side of the head (under side panel) There it goes into a T piece, the lower pipe goes through the casting into the quill compartment and drips oil where the quill goes through the head casting, this pipe is metered at the T Piece. The other pipe from the T piece is not metered and goes up into the head above the ball nut but whether there is a meter in there I dont know, I just cant figure out how to gain access to see.
    Hood

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hood,

I have been cleaning out the way system on my Mill. I'm not very happy with the way the oil system is working. The oil seems to exit through the most "open" way orifice and the rest are starved.

Each of the exit points have what appear to be a metering orifice. The problem is that I don't know how these should perform. Very little air gets through them if I connect them to a high pressure air source. I have soaked them all in carb cleaner.

Any idea how to check these things to know if they are working properly?
    Maybe its not worth messing around with them. Any idea where I can buy a set of new ones?

Thanks,

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine were all nearly blocked, I soaked them in a liquid we call Gun Wash, not sure if its available in the US.
    Before I soaked them there was very little oil coming out and even with the air hose on it was apparent that they were blocked. I just kept swishing them in the gun cleaner and then blowing the air, after a few times the air would blast through and blow all the gunge out of the meters. I was going to get some new meters just in case my cleaning had damaged them but I never took down the sizes so I will have to remove the table again before I can order some. The oil is coming through great now but I still want spares just in case it clogs again.
    George pointed me to Bijur.com and I also found another place called H&W that stocks them, you will find them HERE

Hood

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hood
    I am doing the same thing on my boss
    here is a link to emerick machinery they had the best prices
    I could find on lube parts http://emrickmachinery.com/lube/flow.htm

looks like you have to unbolt and pull the upper head up a bit to get at
    the metering valve
    the attachments are the head dia and the lifting bracket
    you have to make for the head

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diagram of lube system-head-jpg   Diagram of lube system-head-lift-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the link and the diagram. I am going to have to strip the head down a bit anyway as the head has started to rattle a bit today. I was cutting some dovetails for QC toolholder for my lathe and I think the knocking of the dovetail cutter has loosened something off inside, either that or the splines are getting worn
    Hood

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hood
    you probably have worked all the old muck out of the quill splines

this begs a question for machintek

hopefully the splines on the quill bushing wear out first
    and replacing it will help?

and can you change the bushing with the head on the machine
    the manual says to remove the head
    mike

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you are probably right, I know its not the pulley rattling about on the motor or the spindle as I bought a bushing kit when I first got the mill but when I hauled it apart the bushings were like new so didnt need replacing. The top part of the head looks to be fairly easy to remove so thats probably what I will do. Just hope I can get parts here in the UK as shipping from the states will be quite expensive

Hood