Need Help! DX-32 Bridgeport Explorer

Thread: DX-32 Bridgeport Explorer

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default DX-32 Bridgeport Explorer

At machine start up the following message appears on the monitor.

"Reading Param File..."

"Sector not found reading C:
    Hit <R> to retry or <ESC> to continue."

Nothing happens with <R> or <ESC>.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bob Adams
    989 798 6581

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

How old is the hard drive? Maybe original? Last time some preventative maintenance was done on it? (defrag and scan disk) How is the CMOS? What is time and date that mother board thinks it is? If very wrong the CMOS battery may be bad and your hard drive parameters may be corrupted. Or files on HD may be corrupted. Maybe HD is crashing and now has sectors that are unreadable.

George

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

George:

Many thanks for your reply. I believe the hard drive is original. Preventative maintenance has probably never been done. The mother board has been replaced. I will try to find a computer technician to take a look at the machine...using your information as a guideline.

George, I have read many of your replies, you are unbelievably knowledgeable and an invaluable asset to this forum. The time you devote to your many responses is greatly appreciated, I'm sure, by all those who have benefited from your generous sharing of knowledge.

Regards and Best Wishes,

Bob Adams
    989 798 6581

Downloads
    Uploads

Since the MB has been replaced, It still may have a CMOS battery issue. But if the hard drive is bad may I recommend that you get a solid state drive (DOM or disk on a module) preloaded with OS and the machine software from EMI. I do not get a kick back. A lot more trouble free.

And thanks for the words of appreciation. They are appreciated!

George

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

George:

Many thanks again for your reply. I will call EMI Monday to find out the cost of the DOM that you suggested. If that option is to expensive is it possible to find a replacement hard drive? The only Bridgeport Disk I have is marked "Back-UP" and "BOSS DX-32".

Best Wishes!

Bob Adams
    989 798 6581

Downloads
    Uploads

Any IDE hard drive will work but you have to Fdisk it to 504MB making it a active dos partition. Then DOS has to be loaded, followed by the machine software which hopefully is intact on that disk.

George

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

George:

Thanks for your detailed replies. As soon as I am able to check out your suggestions I would like to let you know the outcome. What is the best way to let you know? Thanks Again and Best Wishes!

Regards,

Bob Adams
    989 798 6581

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just ordered a DOM for my TC-22 and the price was $250
    I just ordered it but havent got it yet
    EMI is great to deal with and have spent alot of time with me on the phone
    lately and are in no hurry it seems when explaining issues to you.
    They know these machines inside and out.
    It is no problem getting a harddrive setup and loaded ,the problem comes when you dont have backups of your original parameters.
    You are right George is a big help here to all of us,without him and some others our machines would be setting broke.
    Sometimes its just small issues to them but we would be lost without their input.
    Bridgeport had to be an excellent employer for them at one time and its sad they are no longer around.
    This iron lasts forever and best of all was US built
    Good luck with your mill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

tpmx57

Thanks for your reply. Where do you find the original parameters that you mentioned? I don't have any back-up disks.

Regards,

Bob Adams
    989 798 6581

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can run MAKEDISK from dos and it will make you a backup floppy
    For your machine for your software version
    There is also an other post where one person copied his harddrive when it went out by placing it in a freezer for a short time to get it to work long enough to copy it then wrote everything to a new harddrive and this worked for him
    I copied my harddrive while the machine worked then copied it to another drive but it didnt work for me
    You need bmdcsys.prm and also a leadcomp file if your machine needed it
    George or someone will mention if theres any others
    I have vers 4.89 on mine now but couldnt get a bmdcprm.sys file that would work with it

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

tpmx57

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. All of this information is very useful and greatly appreciated. I will respond with a progress report as soon as I can follow up on these suggestions.

Many Thanks and Best Wishes,

Bob Adams
    989 798 6581

Downloads
    Uploads

Every piece of software for a DX32 control asks if you have a disk with the BMDCPRMS.SYS file when you are installing it and if not will create a parameter file for you.
    This is a great start but is not complete. Now you have to fill in some correct values. Backlash, pitch error, spindle encoder resolution and spindle speeds if applicable, tool changer height and orient position again if applicable, etc.

George

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

George:

I have printed and saved all of these helpful suggestions. I have no idea what I would do without this forum. My sincere appreciation and gratitude!

Regards,

Bob Adams

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DX-32 Bridgeport Explorer

You should be able to change a Dx32 MB to a newer one .... There can be a CPU speed issue but there are programs (freeware) available that will slow any CPU down to acceptable limits. < 80 MgHz is the fastest speed that you can run a BMDC card ( I think).
    A new MB will allow you to use USB .... You can get an 8 Gb usb for less than $10 ... and it does everything ... no more Hard drive. The USD will boot and run your programs

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DX-32 Bridgeport Explorer

Hi CNCfixxer;
    I have been reading these forums trying to straighten out a similar issue.
    I have V2XT with USB. I am limited to 256K on BMDC
    So... I place program on thumb drive with boot data and run from there?
    I might not be able to figure that out, but I think that is the concept here.
    I just got Bobcad V25 and did a part. Well, I did the same exact part at 22 places on the same piece of plate.
    What I got was lots of program. Not intelligent program...plentiful program. Impossible to read or hand edit if necessary, and of course will not fit in 256K
    It completely tool-paths the entire part 22 times.
    I can't figure out the DX 32 manual on =N_/_ repeat at g91x2. and make it run like a modal drilling cycle.
    So, re-board to 2 megabyte, drip feed or... well I would rather have intelligent program that I can read and edit. 50 lines as opposed to 3000....
    What are your thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Mark