Laser Settings for Acrylic

Thread: Laser Settings for Acrylic

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Laser Settings for Acrylic

Have a new BossLaser 1420 65W CO2 machine. The machine is easy to use it's just a learning curve on speed/power per material used. I want to make illuminated edge lite signs with 1/8" (3mm) acrylic. Would anyone know what the general settings are for speed per mm/s and the power? I can get the depth of cut right but it leaves some haze on the outside of the cut/engrave lines. I've been doing some test but can't quite seem to get it right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Laser Settings for Acrylic

I have a Thunder Laser Nova 24 with 60 watt tube and use 65% power and 14 mm/sec cutting speed for 5 mm cast acrylic so that might give you a place to start. Extruded acrylic might cut with cleaner edges.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Steve
    Engrave on the back side of the acrylic(mirrored image) that way the front will be nice and shiny all over, leave the protective paper on the acrylic until you have finished engraving & cutting or apply sign writers application tape to the acrylic before engraving if there is no protective paper on it, it will keep the edges nice and sharp.
    I use 400 mm/sec speed & 16% power on my 100w machine.
    Hope that helps.

Philip

Downloads
    Uploads

do you use air I find that I get cleaner engraves without air

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I was using air.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been told cut with air on engrave air off

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have mine set up so there is always the tiniest amount of air flowing all the time to keep the lens clean, nothing changes for engraving and a solenoid activates for full air when cutting.

LazerWorks

Listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about. I have a 40 watt CO2 machine and I sometimes have to use 400 mm/sec & down to 10% power to get clean edges. I have just ordered some "Medium Tack Paper Mask" which I am told will stop the frost effect around the engraving ...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lucky phil View Post
    Hi Steve
    Engrave on the back side of the acrylic(mirrored image) that way the front will be nice and shiny all over, leave the protective paper on the acrylic until you have finished engraving & cutting or apply sign writers application tape to the acrylic before engraving if there is no protective paper on it, it will keep the edges nice and sharp.
    I use 400 mm/sec speed & 16% power on my 100w machine.
    Hope that helps.

Philip
    Listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about. I have a 40 watt CO2 machine and I sometimes have to use 400 mm/sec & down to 10% power to get clean edges. I have just ordered some "Medium Tack Paper Mask" which I am told will stop the frost effect around the engraving at higher power settings ...

Downloads
    Uploads

I also use 400 mm/sec speed & 16% power on 100w machine with air.
    These guys, https://www.frameshop.com.au/ do a great job with acrylic prints, and also they consult people on some technical problems regarding the technique. They helped me when I got stuck and looking for solutions. They are my good friends, who I recommend with all my heart. But, I wish no more laser machine, I was thinking of doing some nice stuff for my friends and family, and acquire a new skill, but it wasn't the case.