New Boss Laser Acting Bizzare and destroying all my materials!

Thread: New Boss Laser Acting Bizzare and destroying all my materials!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New Boss Laser Acting Bizzare and destroying all my materials!

I have a relatively new Boss Laser 1630 w 60W laser. I used to use a Gravograph machine at work so I'm familiar with lasers but this new Boss Laser machine is just testing my patience. Today was the first time I am running a larger and more complex file - 12x24"... It was fine for awhile and then when it got to the bottom right corner, it started going off axis and trying to engrave off the work area to the right. It kept banging itself to the right. I turned off the machine and then powered it back on. It asked whether to continue and I said ok so it started in another area. (Just FYI, the machine just starts engraving even if the cover is open which i was not thrilled about!) It was going real slow and I realized it was using such high power it burned right through the 1/16" wood board while on engrave settings. I shut down the machine again and deleted the file. I uploaded another file - did a test and it seemed ok during the test - a little dark than what it usually does but acceptable. I put in the cutting board for engraving and after 5 min, the machine went to the right again and started engraving all garbled letters. The cutting board letters that it did engrave were extremely dark. Of course the Cutting board went in the garbage.... laser machine is off and I am waiting for Boss Laser support to call me.

I'm so disappointed with this machine. Boss laser does have excellent customer service and tech support though. That is the truth. However, I don't like having to call tech support all the time. I don't have a full production shop but I use it for hobby as well as small scale production. I think I should have paid 2-3X more and gotten a USA machine. I am hoping to change that opinion when Boss laser calls with a miraculous fix for whatever issues this machine is having. As I said, their tech support is really good and attentive and seems like they always call back when you need them. When the machine works, its great - when it doesn't, a lot of materials have found themselves in the garbage. As you all know, materials for the laser don't come cheap!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New Boss Laser Acting Bizzare and destroying all my materials!

I had issues initially with my Co2 100W plowing through materials, but admittedly I didn't have my settings or alignment dialed in right in the beginning. Took me few days and patience to get my settings down with my materials. I've not had any issue since though. Since you're new I would still give BOSS a call for help. They're open Saturday afternoon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

UPDATE TO MY ORIGINAL POST - The laser is working good and back to normal. After speaking with Boss Laser's service department on the phone, they determined that the machine needed a realignment. The machine is performing even better than it was before the alignment and I'm glad that it was done even though I was dreading doing it. I definitely give credit to Boss Laser's service department. They were really great and walked me through the entire process very carefully from beginning to end. Even though it took awhile, they stayed with me on the phone and I wound up learning a lot about the laser and how to make adjustments myself. I have to practice running more materials to get better at the whole thing but thanks to Boss Laser's Service, everything is working well now.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't like the fact that your laser operated with the lid open. Unless the safety switch was bypassed, it should
    not work with the lid open.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jeepers94 View Post
    I don't like the fact that your laser operated with the lid open. Unless the safety switch was bypassed, it should
    not work with the lid open.
    I was WRONG about that - I had brought that to the attention of the support staff at BOSS but they told me that the machine will continue to run and look like its engraving but the laser is not firing if the lid is open. I was really concerned about that too since I can see how I could start the machine by accident without shutting the lid. They told me that the laser will NOT fire if the lid is open but the head continues to move as if engraving. Sorry if I jumped to conclusions in my initial comment and misled anyone!