Purchased a laser engraver, my experience with Boss Laser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchased a laser engraver, my experience with Boss Laser

Default Purchased a laser engraver, my experience with Boss Laser

I set out to purchase a laser engraver a couple of months ago. After lots of searches I ended up finding a lot of info on two sites in particular, this being one of them. I thought I would document my selection and purchase process and share with the community. I got a lot of info from here and hope that sharing this helps others.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Here is an acrylic edge lit sign that I made for my daughter for Christmas. I cut all the parts on the laser, bent the acrylic base on a heater strip that I made and then assembled it. I hope she loves it!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Purchased a laser engraver, my experience with Boss Laser-review-boss-laser-ls-1415-pdf   Purchased a laser engraver, my experience with Boss Laser-download-jpg  

My post looks weird. The PDF is actually the black square -- it is a PDF so I'm not sure why it showed up like that.

You can also access it here:

http://www.fultra.net/dl/Review%20of...0LS%201415.pdf

http://www.fultra.net/dl/Review%20of...0LS%201415.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

I as at their factory a few months ago and was not very impressed. Quality control was not great and their machine designs could be better.
    I would suggest that any buyer get as many pictures before they buy a machine from any manufacturer. Do your homework properly before deciding on a manufacturer. There is also excellent company's with very good quality machines at very good prices. Make sure you get a good quality laser tubes as they will probably be the first reason why your machine will fail.
    Make sure your software is good enough to process jpg and other formats and that you don't need extra any extra software.
    Lastly make sure you know how to align your laser beam yourself if you don't want to buy from a local supplier. This is the main reason for most cutting failures.

Hi sky1. What factory location for Boss Laser did you visit? What city are you from? Actually,
    we dont have record of anyone visiting us from South Africa.

Downloads
    Uploads

I didn't know or think that Boss Laser had a Factory.Last I read was they sell Relabeled Chinese Lasers out of a small warehouse in Florida .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BossLaser View Post
    Hi sky1. What factory location for Boss Laser did you visit? What city are you from? Actually,
    we dont have record of anyone visiting us from South Africa.
    Probably Shenhui or Wk Laser I would think.

Must admit I rather liked the look of ball screw drive.....very nice!

Something I did wonder though Boss?
    60W metal sealed CO2 laser tube
    as in an RF unit ?

cheers

Dave

Hey Bigbird48, early on we did work out of a 2,500 sq.ft. warehouse, we have 7,500 now. We do import machines but then we source US power supplies, focal lenses, and add EngraveLAB V9 software as opposed to Lasercut.
    In addition we test every tube and power supply to make sure its 100%. We're working to get to predominantly USA- but it can get expensive.

Dave, we use glass tubes. The 60W metal seal is in reference to the metal sealed electrode ends (as opposed to glass/epoxy) that provide a longer lasting seal.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ahhhh might be an idea to make it a bit clearer my friend, sealed metal tubes are usually thought of as RF

I'm still rather liking the look of those ball screw drives

Thanks Dave, will do. Merry Christmas to you all as well.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    Ahhhh might be an idea to make it a bit clearer my friend, sealed metal tubes are usually thought of as RF

I'm still rather liking the look of those ball screw drives
    Dave what Ball screw drives

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird48 View Post
    I didn't know or think that Boss Laser had a Factory.Last I read was they sell Relabeled Chinese Lasers out of a small warehouse in Florida .
    I got a reply from Sky1 and he said he visited a factory called Gbos. My guess is that he has them mixed up due to the similar name (gbos vs boss?). Since I don't know the details of where they (Boss engravers) are sourced or Sky1's experience I can't comment on that aspect. What I can say is that I've been very pleased with my purchase and the support I've received both via phone and email have been good. I haven't seen any quality issues other than the minor issue noted in the review. Other than that it seems to be a good value for the price.

I am looking for some good data or a discussion on the use of air assist and various gas alternatives. For example, does anyone use nitrogen or Co2 air assist to reduce burning? What is the proper psi for an air assist and what factors play into the psi calculation? These are a few things I've pondered but haven't experimented with.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OPLaser support forum ? View topic - Nozzle Stuff

It's all in the nozzles Indy, Get the nozzle flow right and the benefits are huge

Purchased a laser engraver, my experience with Boss Laser-scorch-jpg

Nice and close, 8 psi and a 1mm exit hole.(2mm standoff from the job) and no scorching either side

Adding HPG (High Pressure Gasses) aren't really of much use, the entire Gas system of the cheaper Chinese machines aren't made to work with Nobel / Mixed gasses so the consumption cost of using them is HUGE.

cheers

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Indyglassman. I need to apologize to everyone on this thread as well as Boss engravers. I did not visit Boss engravers and was confuse with Gboss who I did visit.
    Sometimes I don't read the threads properly before I reply. I hope this won't happen again.

Downloads
    Uploads

No problem--Time to upgrade your eyeglass prescription sky LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by sky1 View Post
    Hi Indyglassman. I need to apologize to everyone on this thread as well as Boss engravers. I did not visit Boss engravers and was confuse with Gboss who I did visit.
    Sometimes I don't read the threads properly before I reply. I hope this won't happen again.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Purchased a laser engraver, my experience with Boss Laser

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    OPLaser support forum ? View topic - Nozzle Stuff

It's all in the nozzles Indy, Get the nozzle flow right and the benefits are huge

Purchased a laser engraver, my experience with Boss Laser-scorch-jpg

Nice and close, 8 psi and a 1mm exit hole.(2mm standoff from the job) and no scorching either side

Adding HPG (High Pressure Gasses) aren't really of much use, the entire Gas system of the cheaper Chinese machines aren't made to work with Nobel / Mixed gasses so the consumption cost of using them is HUGE.

cheers

Dave
    I guess this is why so many are buying the Glowforge made here in America and easy to use with the new camera design inside and software. The Muse Spectrum looks interesting too but I bet its Chinese built for them. I might have to just go with a Glowforge since the other American companies don't have its features and want more money.

Downloads
    Uploads

The glowforge is more cheap chinese junk too . All you that are waiting will be in for a big surprise. Most of it is made in China and then brought here for assembly. Don't believe everything you read at GF forum. When and if the machine gets shipped and its a big if you will find that not half of what was promised will probably not be. I hope I'm wrong but all indications are that it will change a lot.Maybe you will get a machine like what most laser cutters are. These are not 3d printers like DS says anyway there just an engraver cutter.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Still like to see the other laser companies use the camera idea in their systems and have software to use it.

Downloads
    Uploads

The camera is a good idea but getting it to work the way its suppose to could be a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by videorov View Post
    Still like to see the other laser companies use the camera idea in their systems and have software to use it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Most of the laser have a camera add on if you want to pay for it.

Downloads
    Uploads

So besides the big 3 which others have the option?

Quote Originally Posted by fixtureman1 View Post
    Most of the laser have a camera add on if you want to pay for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast