Experience with Boss Laser

Thread: Experience with Boss Laser

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Experience with Boss Laser

Does anyone here have any experience working with Boss Laser? I contacted them several weeks ago requesting a customer reference local to my area (Madison, WI). They have been very spotty in getting back to me and when they have, the news hasn't been good. Their first reference candidate declined, they then said they had two other candidates that were possibilities and neither one of them seems to be panning out either. I have tried callign them multiple times during the business hours listed on their website and all I get is an automated answering service that says I called outside their normal business hours. I am beginning to think this is a bad sign: perhaps they are either too small to make this happen (i.e. support may be a problem in the future) or their product may be problematic enough that they can find anyone willing to suggest it to others. They seemed like a good bet initially, but they haven't been able to make a good enough impression yet to get me to pull the trigger.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I looked at their 24x36 and their costs came out way higher than what I paid for my Rabbit Laser, and it comes from Ohio.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Seriously Look at Rabbit Lasers .You'll get a great laser and top notch support.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Their first reference candidate declined,
    Job done.

If a client they think will give them a good reference declines then that's it for me.

I'd happily give Ray Scott/Rabbit lasers a reference, twice in the last year they have got parts to me I needed in a hurry at a great price and I'm in the UK! The HX machines they sell are bomb proof and seem to last forever.
    Ray himself LOVES lasers and will go the extra mile for anybody.

cheers

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Rabbit laser QX-30-5030 is the same thing Boss is selling, just higher price tag. Who knows maybe he finetunes them or adds something else. I've visited Boss in Orlando and will say they're very helpful. The laser cuts wood & acrylic just fine, but it couldn't produce a clean sharp smaller font on 6061-T6 (anodized type II class 1). The letters had a spotty look to them, very slow engraving speed, and didn't care for the adjustable Z bed design. That being said, the laser wasn't for us, but for only 3k 50w you can't beat that.

Default Boss Laser review

I have a BOSS LS-1416 and love it. I'm really new to lasering, but my husband and I wanted to take our art to the next level so we did some research and settled on a Boss Laser. Price had a lot to do with it, as was customer support & being a company in the US that we can get replacement parts from down the road...stuff like that. I have nothing but great things to say about Mike & all the help he gave me. He was so patient with me, even when I botched the software instal! He went above and beyond to make sure I was up and running as fast as possible. The machine itself is gorgeous & very roomy with the pass through doors on all sides. It came with the water pump, air pump, duct tubes & a toolkit with software. The machine itself is super easy to use & is pretty much straight forward after you get familiar with it....and we had NO prior experience with the software or settings. We were up and running & lasering all kinds of materials really quickly. We've had our machine (we affectionately have named "Logan 5") since early January 2014, with no problems at all. Cleaning is a breeze & setting the focus on the Z axis on the motorized work table is way easy since it is automated. I was initially really worried about the upkeep & settings since this is a completely new venture, but with the continued support from Boss, I'm a super happy camper.

My husband is a luthier so we wanted to start offering our custom guitar pickups & accessories with designs. Here's what he's doing; Experience with Boss Laser-plain-logo-wound-jpg
    I am a jewelry designer & glass artist, & work with all kinds of materials. Recently I found some antique Nigerian coconut shell beads that just begged to be engraved. So, this is what I've been doing: Experience with Boss Laser-beads-cropped-logo-jpg As you can see, the designs are super crisp.

We're super happy with Boss Laser. My only criticism is that there should be a bit more in the area of documentation as far as recommended speed vs. power settings go, as well as a more detailed manual how to use ALL the functions in the LaserCut software interface (I'm probably using only 10% of the functions since I cant figure out how yet to use the other options).....the manual the manufacturer offers is ridiculously hard to interpret for practical use! And, the software itself is good, but I did run into some bugs that took me some time to troubleshoot; such as making sure your vector files dont contain layers....the software crashes & closes if you do....that was a PITA to figure out! But, that's just software. Other than that, I would recommend to anyone interested in a laser to give them a look because their customer service rocks, and the machines are very very well done. Renee

Our homepage: www.WigginsBrand.com
    CO2 laser: BOSS LS-1416 by Boss Laser

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    Job done.

If a client they think will give them a good reference declines then that's it for me.

I'd happily give Ray Scott/Rabbit lasers a reference, twice in the last year they have got parts to me I needed in a hurry at a great price and I'm in the UK! The HX machines they sell are bomb proof and seem to last forever.
    Ray himself LOVES lasers and will go the extra mile for anybody.

cheers

Dave
    ray scott is a good guy,we met in jinan for one time
    very kindly look face with white hair
    good person

tina from g.weike laser
    EMAIL: tina@wklaser.com SKYPE: lysunshine521

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been in their warehouse in FL...they have a service provider around Alberta, CAN. Well organized
    and they're big into testing tube powr, lenses, control cards, rails,etc.

I would disagree that they're 1416 is same as Rabbit laser QX-30-5030. Boss 1416 starts at 40W,
    w/ auto focus, beam combiner instead of red dot pointer, rear, side pass thrus...and EngraveLabv9.
    Id love to see Ev9 offered standard but price is fair. Its what I'm saving up for and should have one in July.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just bought a boss laser. We are an awards engraving shop doing a lot of laser engraving on black brass for plaques. We have owned the laser for 10 days and so far are extremely unhappy with what we need it to do. We surprised to see how slow it is. We bought this machine to help us with the volume of work we have and our newer laser is now a third slower than our 10 year old one. We have worked out the kinks of setting a home spot and and do not love how close the z is. We could probably deal with all these obstacles if the engraving itself was clean and sharp. We have used different settings of power and speed, scan gaps and the text still looks choppy. This is upsetting us the most. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get a clean, sharp engraving text?? We are so close to sending it back.

Default Re: Experience with Boss Laser

Hey Engraver12 did you manage to get your issues sorted out?

Downloads
    Uploads

We are considering a Boss Laser as well, still not completely sold but really like the price compared to Universal or Epilog. Were you able to get your issues resolved?

Downloads
    Uploads

I run a Boss 2436- 100w along side of a 12x24 Universal in the shop. We prefer the Boss especially for cutting. Very reliable for us for a good while now. Good alignment is key to sharp cutting and engraving quality. You have to check it and keep the focal lens cleaned -routinely. We run it daily and now looking to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by engraver12 View Post
    Just bought a boss laser. We are an awards engraving shop doing a lot of laser engraving on black brass for plaques. We have owned the laser for 10 days and so far are extremely unhappy with what we need it to do. We surprised to see how slow it is. We bought this machine to help us with the volume of work we have and our newer laser is now a third slower than our 10 year old one. We have worked out the kinks of setting a home spot and and do not love how close the z is. We could probably deal with all these obstacles if the engraving itself was clean and sharp. We have used different settings of power and speed, scan gaps and the text still looks choppy. This is upsetting us the most. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get a clean, sharp engraving text?? We are so close to sending it back.
    I know this is a very old thread, but I thought id give my 2 cents worth from my research in to buying a laser, I Dont have one , but what I have read, is having the correct lens is important to what you are doing, its my understanding the boss lasers come with a lens <2.00" > focal length that is a compromise between cutting and engraving, if you are dong strictly small engraving you should change the lens to the ( 1.5" focal ) lens for best results.

Hope this helps someone.

Downloads
    Uploads

My 6 year old Rabbit 6040 60 watt engraves just fine with the 2" lens. If his Boss is or was having a problem . I would think its out of alignment , or dirty lens or mirrors .or not focused right