STL help on V6 please

Thread: STL help on V6 please

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default STL help on V6 please

I have Solidworke 2013, and BobCam v6. I have an STL file I would like to get a tool path for. I can load it into Solidworks, but none of the Bob Cam commands work. I can't even select the model. I must be missing something really basic, but whatever it is, it alludes me. Can anyone help please?
    Thnaks,
    maury

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: STL help on V6 please

I was curious about this. SolidWorks doesn't work with STL files of any decent size. They "show up", but are just visual - you can't edit, select points, etc. BobCAD works great with STL. So the marriage of the two appears is may be limited by the SolidWorks backbone?

CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mcphill, thanks for the reply. It seems you are right about Solidworks not liking large STL files. I did some more poking around after I posted, and found how to get a STL file into Solidworks as a solid model. Bob Cam will work with that. It turns out that some options are required, In the OPEN Menu, select File type as STL, then click OPTIONS. A dialog pops up where you select SOLID MODEL. Also select the dim units. Then brouse and open the file. If the file isn't too big it will load as a solid model, though not editable.

Bob Cam will create a tool path with the model, but it is a bit squirrely about it. Sometimes you have to click a command more than once to get it to work.

maury

Downloads
    Uploads

The stand alone BobCAD handles STL files exactly the same a any solid model, very slick. This is one of the last reasons I stick with it rather than going to the SolidWorks plugin.

CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining...