Just In Bobcad customer experience - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bobcad customer experience

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bobcad customer experience

I'm not talking about the whole cloud going poof , I'm talking about companies who eventually put the axe to something . If a software is installed and registered to a computer then the company could die , change strategies etc , except usually that doesn't affect a software that is fully installed on a computer . Though that may sound hypercritical of what I said earlier about my older installs , so most times it stays intact

i'm sure a lot of delcam users were excited to see what autocad would do with those softwares when they bought them out . now they are orphans

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

I'm talking about companies who eventually put the axe to something .
    Whatever else may be said about Autodesk they are a professional company, do you really imagine that they would deliberately axe something that they have invested in to the tune
    of billions of dollars and abandon all those customers? Autodesk is a profit driven company and abandoning customers is not a profitable thing to do, I don't think they'd ever consider it.
    Even were they to do so I would lose, at worst, one years subscription, if it were not re-coverable.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

they only care for one thing and thats money , just like every other corporation . The share holders are going to want more . The free deal is motivating some to buy subscriptions and it's hurting their competition which is the larger factor . I'm sure bobcad is feeling it ! . Fusion is toilet water compared to what they make from their main softwares . Eventually the free version will be a demo version at best , and when they decide they made enough from the investment they could easily axe fusion without hesitation, or build something new off it .

Don't get me wrong , I'm not some radical who thinks the govt and everyone is out to get me and all that crap , though they sure seem to want my money . I still have faith in humanity , but I don't see humanity in corporations . Subscription based software has handcuffed the users , keep paying or lose it

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    Autodesk want to make money just like all the rest of them, and that's exactly why I feel that Fusion is for the long haul. They are developing it into a one stop shop,
    and hoping to secure dominating market share and I think they are on track to secure it. Going to have to work hard to match the likes of Mastercam an NXcam,
    but if they have a cost competitive solution then even Mastercam and NXcam could suffer a loss of market share.

Subscription based software has handcuffed the users , keep paying or lose it
    I disagree. All the other players have a one off cost for a perpetual license but annual fees to stay current. In effect a large software purchase MUST be supported
    by annual fees or risk a $10K-$20k purchase going out of date. In effect 'keep paying or lose it'. Is that not the complaint about BobCAD?

The annual fees of Mastercam are less than Fusions Basic subscription, and about the same as Fusion + Machining Extensions.
    The value is there whether you like it or not.

Make no mistake I no more like Autodesk than Microsoft, but I do have to, even begrudgingly, admit that they have good products that I will pay for them if I want them.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

true on the maintenance but mastercam maintenance fee is area dependent . I think the company I was working for was paying 1000 , not sure if that was per seat or for the 2 we had . I had the impression it was each .

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    . In effect 'keep paying or lose it'. Is that not the complaint about BobCAD?
    g
    Ya well , can't argue that .That new bulletin goes to show how the rules can change real fast . At least I know my license is good til my computer dies . They don't seem to call with upgrade options anymore which due to the past may be a good thing but ............................
    As much as I don't like fusion and have my restraints I still see it as a possible future option . I do mostly surfacing and it's plenty capable for my needs . The one stop shop thing I can understand , but as with any new bulletin comes bad news as we saw here . I'll be surprised not to see the subscription take a jump in price

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

I'll be surprised not to see the subscription take a jump in price
    It has. About a year ago the Basic subscription was still $500USD/year, as it had been for several years. Then it was announced, I think July of last year that it was going up
    to $545USD/year or 9%. In an inflationary environment I was not surprised.

A few months ago, I purchased an introductory offer for the Machining Extensions, it cost $1200USD/year, down from the full price of $1600USD/year. I have not heard whether they plan to increase that
    price also. The subscription comes due towards the end of July, and unless the business can pick it up I'm going to have to pay out of my pocket and it's by no means assured that I can do so.
    The Machining Extensions add continuous four and five axis, collision avoidance, toolpath editing and a more complete suite of machining ops. Still not Mastercam but getting there.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

in the big scheme of things it's a good price for the extras for 4 and 5 axis . Anything I'd do 4 axis can be hacked together using code from 2.5d software , and thats the way I used to setup in the production shops . Now for the most part my 4 axis parts are basic enough I hand code the operations , pretty basic operations .

I'm sure a lot of companies are taking advantage of the low cost of fusion especially for 5 axis . I can't dispute that

Regardless of it all , I still despise it

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    yes, I've handwritten four axis code, but it's pretty tedious. Not too bad if you have a lot of parts to make, but for a few parts or one-off parts it's just too time consuming.
    I'm not even sure I could hand write genuine simultaneous five axis code.

All the other credible competing software that does simultaneous five axis and collision avoidance start at $10,000 and up, so yes Fusion provides a capability that I could
    not otherwise afford.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    v23 used a dongle , don't you have one ?
    V21 used dongle, V23 does not.

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Downloads
    Uploads

V23 most definitely can use a Dongle.I have 2 seats with it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Good for you, they would;d not sell it to me that way.

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    V21 used dongle, V23 does not.
    I have 2 dongles for v23

Downloads
    Uploads

Fusion sucks so hard i couldn't bare it.

Funny in a thread complaining about 25 year old software licensing the “solution/alternative” is AUTODESK SUBSCRIPTIONS!!! Lmao

I’ll stick with my BobCad 4+ 5+ full simultaneous Moduleworks toolpaths!!

I’ll pass on the AutoCost software….

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    V23 most definitely can use a Dongle.I have 2 seats with it.
    Jr LOVES his High Speed Pocketing!!!!

The first leaps away from v21 horse and buggy!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Funny in a thread complaining about 25 year old software licensing the “solution/alternative” is AUTODESK SUBSCRIPTIONS!!! Lmao
    there are always going to be alternatives . If I can no longer register a version I bought a few yrs ago then wtf good is there in a perpetual license .
    I like the version I"m using but if something happens and I can't install that license to a new computer then I can assure you that I will be looking at all the options

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    there are always going to be alternatives . If I can no longer register a version I bought a few yrs ago then wtf good is there in a perpetual license .
    I like the version I"m using but if something happens and I can't install that license to a new computer then I can assure you that I will be looking at all the options
    I went to Windows 10 2 years ago with V23 and V28,,,,BOB was very fast at helping me out

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    I went to Windows 10 2 years ago with V23 and V28,,,,BOB was very fast at helping me out
    Yeah, the insinuation that BobCad wont respond to a customer and hangs up the phone and refuses and further communication from the customer is a joke…

But this thread turned into 2 pages of “AutoCost” is such a wonderful experience and a perfect opportunity to your google searches!

“Just google what i say”!!!

Lol

No thanks.

Funny, currently in the CAD section of this forum, a user is seeking an ALTERNATIVE to AUTOCOST (imagine that)

Go look at who took over the thread with how AUTOCOST is the answer to everything and what a wonderful product and COMPANY it is!!!

Lmao

Downloads
    Uploads

Jr , I loaded v23 on a windows 11 pc recently which went just fine , but I also have a dongle which didn't require any support . It's too bad they didn't carry on with dongles

[.....]
    If my computer dies I will lose v30 and v31 according to what is stated , any version under v32 will not be able to be re-registered . So , perpetual doesn't mean much under the circumstances . If what I am reading is wrong then I'd be more than happy to stand corrected . If I'm not wrong then I'll cross that bridge when I get to it .

You can sh*t on the guys who are using a different software from you but I say to each his own . Everyone has varying reasons for picking what they use . I hate the fusion software myself for numerous reasons but it is pretty capable and the cad is light years ahead of bobcad . I design in a different software then export to bc because the cad sucks for modelling , so as a one stop shop they are pretty strong

Last edited by burs; 02-08-2023 at 08:03 AM. Reason: provocative comments

Downloads
    Uploads

Please stay polite in this thread (and others)

I had to remove a few posts here.

Downloads
    Uploads

So, Lets compare "Fusion 360 to BobCad V23!!!!'

lol (NOT)

BobCad V23 is like 7 years older than Fusion 360 even existed.

Fusion is so much more advanced than BobCad? Nah.

Fusion 360 is the latest greatest from Autodesk ALWAYS. Lets see Someone license Fusion360 2013!!! lmao.

So unless Someone is using BobCad V35, then smoke is being blown....

I can't license my 30 year old software, so I am going to sign up for subscriptions from AUTODESK and solve all my problems!

I am a long standing BobCad Customer, but this refusal to support 30 year old software is a deal breaker! I am going to sign up for AUTODESK! The answer to all my problems. My new Autodesk even cleans the company restroom!

BobCad making changes to legacy support lifecycles is SO Terrible and damaging to me, I am going to sign up to the company that has NO Legacy support lifecycles and forces me to pay them EVERY YEAR!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast