Need Help! Extrude Font

Thread: Extrude Font

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Extrude Font

I'm trying to extrude a true type font but ending up with skin wall or facets instead of solid. Some fonts are solid and some are not.
    What causes that?

also The fonts have many lines or facets and when I extrude the ones that work the computer slows to a snail.

Appreciate your help

Rob

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Extrude Font

I work only in V20 and V23?

Off the top of my head I would take the type, smash it or whatever BobCAD calls it to turn it into line work vectors. (Sort of like Extract Edges for solids. That or use BobART) then chain select the outline of the type, and go to Create Planner surface, then go back again and Extrude Surface.

Not at my shop computer so going from memory. Old memory.

Downloads
    Uploads

So far its working for few letters. The one with the problem fails planar. I'll work on it. Thanks for the direction

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

...skin it? interesting subject (topic)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by artracing View Post
    So far its working for few letters. The one with the problem fails planar. I'll work on it. Thanks for the direction

Rob
    Make sure your letter outline can be fully selected in a single chain selection. (Hold SHIFT and click) If it can't, do whatever needs to be done to the chain to correct that. Also say with like a capital A. Click the outer outline with the direction arrows going one direction and the inner outline going in the opposite direction. (Two total shift clicks) Not sure what version you're in but this is old version methods. One point here being you have to have legitimate chains without gaps or other mixed in garbage. The other is combined chains need to be selected in opposite directions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by the_gentlegiant View Post
    Make sure your letter outline can be fully selected in a single chain selection. (Hold SHIFT and click) If it can't, do whatever needs to be done to the chain to correct that. Also say with like a capital A. Click the outer outline with the direction arrows going one direction and the inner outline going in the opposite direction. (Two total shift clicks) Not sure what version you're in but this is old version methods. One point here being you have to have legitimate chains without gaps or other mixed in garbage. The other is combined chains need to be selected in opposite directions.
    Yes, I have one font that has issues but its many sub lines. Been trying to clean it up as you said. So far the planar solution is working.

The next problem is my laptop as slowed to a crawl with all the extrude letters.

Are there some initial setup for computer for 3D. I have not done a lot of 3D. I did have the same problem number years ago and
    Bobcad support came in and did something,
    I try to keeps solids off but at times you need it on to see.
    Its at a point now its almost impossible to move the image.

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I have one font that has issues but its many sub lines. Been trying to clean it up as you said. So far the planar solution is working.

The next problem is my laptop as slowed to a crawl with all the extrude letters.

Are there some initial setup for computer for 3D. I have not done a lot of 3D. I did have the same problem number years ago and
    Bobcad support came in and did something,
    I try to keeps solids off but at times you need it on to see.
    Its at a point now its almost impossible to move the image.

Rob
    Fonts can be bad geometry because they come from vector drawing and the definitions aren't for accuracy...

The slowdown will come from all those faces extruded piling up, as opposed to a smaller number of faces.

The key will be to rebuild it after some initial cleanup.

What version are you using. The newer versions have some rebuild stuff built into the spline commands. I have to revisit it with you. I don't have the older versions anymore...

What you're looking for is all the seam edges to be gone when you extrude the text geometry (Except for WANTED hard edges)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Fonts can be bad geometry because they come from vector drawing and the definitions aren't for accuracy...

The slowdown will come from all those faces extruded piling up, as opposed to a smaller number of faces.

The key will be to rebuild it after some initial cleanup.

What version are you using. The newer versions have some rebuild stuff built into the spline commands. I have to revisit it with you. I don't have the older versions anymore...

What you're looking for is all the seam edges to be gone when you extrude the text geometry (Except for WANTED hard edges)
    I figured as much. I exported the file as DXF and then brought that in. See to help clean up some letters. A few are a mess.
    I have version 32. But i don't have knowledge of how to rebuild. Im long time Newbie.

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

I figured as much. I exported the file as DXF and then brought that in. See to help clean up some letters. A few are a mess.
    I have version 32. But i don't have knowledge of how to rebuild. Im long time Newbie.

Rob
    I have v32 also!

The dxf export could also be a place for you to look. To see if it can create "splines and curves and arcs" in the export, as opposed to faceted "line segments". We'll look at the originating software, after we see if we can fix it up in BobCad..

I'll make a video in a bit....

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a video where I bring in a faceted arc and show how it extrudes into 40, seperate surfaces. Which will start to make the display heavy. (And any other things you want to start doing with it)

I rebuild it with the spline fitted command..

You can look at your fonts and rebuild as needed

Lets discuss the origination of the faceted geometry.. Maybe we can fix up that part....

Downloads
    Uploads

As an added note, the comments by the_gentlegiant are very good and where the process start. Chain selection will point out the open gaps and should be done first, before the rebuild....

He seems old school, so i can point out that the "opposing direction chain selection" is not needed anymore... just a heads up...

A lot of useful information, thank you guys. I always find answers here.

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethPoole View Post
    A lot of useful information, thank you guys.
    I always find the answers here, but there's too much fuss with fonts. I read all this and realized that it is easier to download a ready-made font you like and not worry, which I did. On the site https://upfonts.com/iciel-gotham-medium-font/ I found a lot of great fonts, some of them downloaded and installed on my computer and phone. I liked the font gotham medium the most, it is easy to read, does not torment the eyes and looks very nice. You can pay attention if you don't want to mess with the font settings.