Need Help! How do I do tapered groove V31 Pro

Thread: How do I do tapered groove V31 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How do I do tapered groove V31 Pro

I'm trying to mill 32 tapered slots in a circular pattern, they start approximately at x.188 z-.028 and end at x.320 z-.031 and I want to mill them with a 90° engraving cutter and repeated radially around the Z axis. How can I do this with V31 Pro?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do I do tapered groove V31 Pro-tapered-groove-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How do I do tapered groove V31 Pro

I ended up just drawing a line at Z-.028 the appropriate length and copying in a circular array, did a simple 2D profile with no offsets and then manually editing the end depth of the path. Kind of sucks but it works, just wouldn't want to have to do a lot of it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by L98FIERO View Post
    I ended up just drawing a line at Z-.028 the appropriate length and copying in a circular array, did a simple 2D profile with no offsets and then manually editing the end depth of the path. Kind of sucks but it works, just wouldn't want to have to do a lot of it.
    Much easier way IMHO is to use the 3 Axis Wireframe strategy, this will automatically follow a line in the Z so if you use the "Extract Edges" utility to get the bottom edge of the grooves (Put on a seperate layer) then you only need select one of the lines and then do your Rotary pattern and it is done, no need to draw any lines at all.
    So :-
    3 Axis Wireframe selected
    Extract edges
    3D engrave strategy (Rough or Finish to suit)
    Select any line in bottom of any groove
    Compute toolpath
    Do your rotary pattern toolpath (11.25deg x 31 copies)

Once you are used to the 3 Axis Wireframe you will find it great for doing all those Z axis 3D single line moves, just another idea of how to do it that I find very quick and easy, lots of other ways I am sure but this works for me

Regards
    Rob
    How do I do tapered groove V31 Pro-wireframe-example-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do I do tapered groove V31 Pro-wireframe-example-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Rob, tried it and it works, go figure! There's a lot in Bobcad and it's just not something I've used much before, 90% of what I do is 2½ axis.