Newbie Can’t get the right surface

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can’t get the right surface

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Can’t get the right surface

Designing an intake runner which changes shapes from oval to circle. I have the dimensions in and have done every option on bobcad v29 and can’t seem to get it right. I can connect lines between the two dimensions creating the runner wall, but it ignores the lines I draw. I’ve done cross section without those lines and results are always the same. When you look down the throat of the design the port is shrouded by the program’s extrapolation every time.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Can’t get the right surface

Downloads
    Uploads

use ruled surface
    draw your circle at one level in Z
    draw your ellipse at the other level of Z
    break divide by 2
    use ruled surface on 1/2 of the circle and half of ellipse
    mirror image,,then stitch

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    use ruled surface
    draw your circle at one level in Z
    draw your ellipse at the other level of Z
    break divide by 2
    use ruled surface on 1/2 of the circle and half of ellipse
    mirror image,,then stitch
    Can’t for the life of me find that option. Searching, googling or YouTube videos.

Good lord. 30 seconds after making this after looking for who knows how long lol

Downloads
    Uploads

the help menu within bob covers it

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by boosted67 View Post
    Designing an intake runner which changes shapes from oval to circle. I have the dimensions in and have done every option on bobcad v29 and can’t seem to get it right. I can connect lines between the two dimensions creating the runner wall, but it ignores the lines I draw. I’ve done cross section without those lines and results are always the same. When you look down the throat of the design the port is shrouded by the program’s extrapolation every time.
    Cross Section is what you want. It will allow you to add defining sections for your throat, as opposed to just 2 entity skin...

The issue with what you show, will be, you want your entities to have "EQUAL" segmentation. (You'll want to break/divide your circle to match the little throated piece.

Here are a couple examples. The first zeroed one, is just a default circle and elipse. So just a straight cross section, produces good results.

The second 2, I created you lower throat, that has "6 segments" in it... I divided the arc to 6 then, and got these skins.... (bbcd file attached)

The last thing is when doing these skinning functions, be sure to work with the shift click, instead of just windows select. Do your work so the chain start/end can be in the same place on both entities.

Can’t get the right surface-cross-throat-jpg

If you need more direction, maybe someone else can jump in to show this. I am ill and cant play at a high level right now....

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    the help menu within bob covers it
    Massive PITA. I broke the circles down by 2 but the chains still start where ever they want. Since the circle at the top is larger, the chains start and cover more ground per click. So like a curtain, it’s pulling closed at the top more than the bottom. As the chain starts around the bend it’s shrouding the lower section. There is no editing the chain length up top. You click and it lights up. Half the time in the wrong direction and clicking the arrow most times won’t change the chain direction. I have to reselect the ruled surface and start over again.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Cross Section is what you want. It will allow you to add defining sections for your throat, as opposed to just 2 entity skin...

The issue with what you show, will be, you want your entities to have "EQUAL" segmentation. (You'll want to break/divide your circle to match the little throated piece.

Here are a couple examples. The first zeroed one, is just a default circle and elipse. So just a straight cross section, produces good results.

The second 2, I created you lower throat, that has "6 segments" in it... I divided the arc to 6 then, and got these skins.... (bbcd file attached)

The last thing is when doing these skinning functions, be sure to work with the shift click, instead of just windows select. Do your work so the chain start/end can be in the same place on both entities.

Can’t get the right surface-cross-throat-jpg

If you need more direction, maybe someone else can jump in to show this. I am ill and cant play at a high level right now....
    Seems easy enough. I may need to break more on the top since it is a longer line. Should keep them straight like yours. My bottom is a rectangle I snapped some circle to and trimmed. I’m using shift click but the arrows pop up now and absolutely flat refuse to change directions by clicking on them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Something was wrong w that particular file. It stopped even highlighting lines. Went back to my base file, broke top in 12 segments and lower into 6 and it cross sectioned no problem.
    I’ve been this far before believe it or not lol. I’m just trying to get better at the software. I offset .250 and .187 top to bottom for runner thickness and cap. Now to figure out how to radius the inside at the top. Yeahhhhh. Lol
    And bobcad crashes and closes again. Jfc

Downloads
    Uploads

Regular saves with version numbers on the end of your file help when something goes wrong and you need to roll back to a version that's not broken.
    A fast PC with a good graphics card and lots of RAM makes a difference.

I quite like targeted ads if they're not intensely annoying so I'll enable ads when your advertisers stop using annoying sounds, annoying slideshows and annoying animations

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by boosted67 View Post
    Something was wrong w that particular file. It stopped even highlighting lines. Went back to my base file, broke top in 12 segments and lower into 6 and it cross sectioned no problem.
    I’ve been this far before believe it or not lol. I’m just trying to get better at the software. I offset .250 and .187 top to bottom for runner thickness and cap. Now to figure out how to radius the inside at the top. Yeahhhhh. Lol
    And bobcad crashes and closes again. Jfc
    BobCAD won`t fillet the solid in this instance, (it is quite normal for it to crash trying to do this operation,) what you need to do is go to the "Utilities" tab and use the "Stitching > Unstitch Solid to Surfaces" then you can use the Fillet under the "Surfaces" tab, you can select one slope and the corresponding vertical, set a value for the radius and then it will radius, a bit labour intensive/PITA and when you have done the rads go back to the "Utilities > Stitching >Stich Surfaces to Solid" and you should be back to having a solid with rads between your circle and your oval.

See attached example, might be of some help to you

Regards
    Rob

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can’t get the right surface-cross-section-example-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

I have done stuff in the past using the Skin function and seems to work well
    Seems to break into segment automatically

RAF

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can’t get the right surface-skin-work-4-jpg   Can’t get the right surface-skin-work-2-jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast