Need Help! CAD/CAM Software - Need Assistance?

Thread: CAD/CAM Software - Need Assistance?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CAD/CAM Software - Need Assistance?

This SC is Considering purchasing the BobCad/Cam software that would be suitable For use mainly to create/draw/& mill shop & jewelry items, rings. 2D - 3D & 4 Axis capabilities are required and at the same time a SC can get a handle on it.

Would like to hear from others with this software that has used it for making shop items and also designing & milling out 3D 4 Axis ring designs & other similar items? Have had no experience or knowledge considering these applications so I decided to post this to our BobCad-Cam forum family to see if I can get your hands on experience & evaluation on this matter.

Any an all of your suggestions, assistance would be appreciated. Thank you very much. PW USAF 62-66

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pepperwood View Post
    This SC is Considering purchasing the BobCad/Cam software that would be suitable For use mainly to create/draw/& mill shop & jewelry items, rings. 2D - 3D & 4 Axis capabilities are required and at the same time a SC can get a handle on it.

Would like to hear from others with this software that has used it for making shop items and also designing & milling out 3D 4 Axis ring designs & other similar items? Have had no experience or knowledge considering these applications so I decided to post this to our BobCad-Cam forum family to see if I can get your hands on experience & evaluation on this matter.

Any an all of your suggestions, assistance would be appreciated. Thank you very much. PW USAF 62-66
    Hi PW,
    This gent will offer help and advice. Have made rings in the past.

To give the best, most accurate advice, can you post up some images of the type of designs you would be working with?

IMHO, rings are best worked in the "wrapping" part of the software, with plenty if BobArt mixed in..

Wrapping allows you to do your designs and work in 2.5 D, as rings and defined arcs anyway...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CAD/CAM Software - Need Assistance?

Hello Mr. BurrMan .... Thank you for taking the time to reply. It is encouraging to find someone that has been able to use BobCad to make it do rings. At this time I am not familiar enough with forum on how to post images. I'll have to work on this.

The images I'm contemplating are simple prong settings, masculine as well as female rings with/without stones. Wedding band type. Engagement, etc. Hope this may help? What would help me mostly is if you have made rings in the past with BobCad. If you may be able to post an image or photo of finished product. Or just tell me where to go?

Unfortunately I discussed this with the sales rep. If there were any finished 3d or rings that I could find/see, That used the software. He could not locate any or tell me where I might be able to find something.

You make an interesting point. I haven't the foggiest of the "wrapping" 2.5 D part of the software and how that is suppose to work. This was to be included with the new version 31 and include the Bobart.. To be candid this is all a beginning/learning experience from Square 1. .

All I have is the complete Taig CNC Machine set up with mach 3 & rotary/4axis capability to start with. Thank you very much again an look forward to your help and assistance with this matter, if you're up to it?

Kindest regards,

Pepperwood USAF 62-66

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Mr. BurrMan .... Thank you for taking the time to reply. It is encouraging to find someone that has been able to use BobCad to make it do rings. At this time I am not familiar enough with forum on how to post images. I'll have to work on this.

The images I'm contemplating are simple prong settings, masculine as well as female rings with/without stones. Wedding band type. Engagement, etc. Hope this may help? What would help me mostly is if you have made rings in the past with BobCad. If you may be able to post an image or photo of finished product. Or just tell me where to go?

Unfortunately I discussed this with the sales rep. If there were any finished 3d or rings that I could find/see, That used the software. He could not locate any or tell me where I might be able to find something.

You make an interesting point. I haven't the foggiest of the "wrapping" 2.5 D part of the software and how that is suppose to work. This was to be included with the new version 31 and include the Bobart.. To be candid this is all a beginning/learning experience from Square 1. .

All I have is the complete Taig CNC Machine set up with mach 3 & rotary/4axis capability to start with. Thank you very much again an look forward to your help and assistance with this matter, if you're up to it?

Kindest regards,

Pepperwood USAF 62-66
    Here is a ring that was done ALONG time ago... I had a video that showed the setup, unfortunately, it seems to have disappeared from Youtube...

It was kindof a hard job as there were some very specific requirements from the girls who wanted the ring.

Anyway, I'll see if I can find the video. Can always make another if needed... Al is much better at it...

CAD/CAM Software - Need Assistance?-1ring_too-jpg

CAD/CAM Software - Need Assistance?-2ring_too_too-jpg

CAD/CAM Software - Need Assistance?-3ring_too-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

BTW: It was done on a taig with the 4th rotary attachment!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nicely done. Not sure whether I could/would be able to figure out all the steps that you had to go through to put together the design with BobCad? Pretty outstanding design and finished ring. I presume you initially done the design in wax and then invested in plaster, burnout and cast it.

Thanks so very much for taking the time to explain & post the photos. I was beginning to wonder if the software was capable of doing this kind of work and if anyone was able to figure it out. Still have a way to go before I can now actually determine what software to go with. That is user friendly that this SC can get a handle on it. It is encouraging to know and see what you were able to do. PW

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nicely done. Not sure whether I could/would be able to figure out all the steps that you had to go through to put together the design with BobCad? Pretty outstanding design and finished ring. I presume you initially done the design in wax and then invested in plaster, burnout and cast it.
    The ring was cut on the 4th axis from billet. Machine to a buffer wheel.

There are some steps to setting up a wrapping group. As someone who is just starting, expect some time and steps to get going, with ANY system you choose.

All the software you may want to look at, will have a "demo" version to try...

You can look up a youtube channel called "BobCad after dark" to find good video's on pretty much all the subjects of this software...

Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent suggestions & information. Will have to take the matter up as mentioned & look into the "demos" available. Thanks so very much for the insight provided. I should have initiated this approach before. Thanks again for sharing! It has helped. PW