Need Help! Boring simulation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boring simulation

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Boring simulation

How are boring bars set up for simulation?
    I've made numerous attempts to create a boring bar that will not cause interference in simulation with no great amount of success, either the tool interferes or the shank or both. I can draw the bar in the tool library, it looks right but when it's run in simulation the bar shape is wrong and there is a lot of red. BobCad uses a much different interpretation of lead angle than I've ever seen, it's what I've always called and seen described as clearance angle, maybe that's the issue but the tool does look correct as drawn. Does anyone have a reasonable description of how to get it to work, the description in the help section is pretty sketchy for any tool and non-existent for boring bars specifically. Current process is write the program and manually read and check to see if it will work, isn't the simulation supposed to do that or have I missed something?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Boring simulation

Is this on Lathe or Mill ??

Can you post your .bccd file so it can be seen what you are trying do ??

Regards
    Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

Bccd file? Maybe that's part of the problem, where is it? It's for a lathe.

Downloads
    Uploads

That is the BobCAD file that you save and work in.

What version of BobCAD are you using ? V26,V27,V28 etc

Downloads
    Uploads

V30 Pro Is it a .bbcd file? I've added the part file and the crib file for the boring bar

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by L98FIERO; 07-05-2018 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Add attachments

Downloads
    Uploads

I think what needs to go along with the file request here is the "Machine definition" files...

In the data folder under MachSim is a folder list of the machines loaded. Find the name of your currently selected machine for the file and zip that folder and attach it....

That way, we can look at the collision errors too!

Downloads
    Uploads

There you go, it's an old Fanuc 6T-b

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Something isn't right with the tool definition!

Maybe you and Rob can walk through how to get that tool right! The toolholder is bigger than the stock!

Boring simulation-tool-definition-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boring simulation-tool-definition-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I have to agree with Burr, the tool looks way too big and there is no way that a tool that shape and size is likely to work, it does not appear to have an angle at the back corner opposite the insert and on an undercut like the one shown it is almost garanteed to foul the stock.
    I don`t have V30 Lathe but I could download it just for "fun" if you can`t get anyone else to help you sort it but in the meantime try re-modelling your tool, that might do it for you

Regards
    Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll agree that the bar looks too big but then I tried to make it the correct size, but Bobcad doesn't seem to have the capability to make what I need. I've attached the toolholder design information I put in. Is there a suggestion on how to make it work, a 3/4 BB with a .125 projection *should* go into a Ø1.25 bore? I even tried making the tool and holder 1/8 inch thick and still have issues.

There has to be some other issue though, even using the same information, my simulation of the tool and holder looks much different than yours. I've also attached an image of the actual bar, you can see that I 'cheated' to try to make the simulation work. The tool does work, it's just that the simulation doesn't so it has to be checked manually.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boring simulation-sim-jpg   Boring simulation-flr2062-x-3_4-boring-bar-jpg   Boring simulation-flr2062-jpg   Boring simulation-boring-bar-jpg  

Last edited by L98FIERO; 07-06-2018 at 07:54 AM. Reason: grammar

Downloads
    Uploads

that looks like an internal threading tool

Downloads
    Uploads

The image that Burr has uploaded is from the Backplot, not the simulation, you are better off using the Backplot for quick checks of your toolpaths etc and it does show a full 3D tool whereas the simulation only seems to show a very thin "blade" for the tool, looks broken to me, from what I can see the tool holder won`t allow itself to be modified, I too have tried to change the size of the tool holder but it just stays the same, not good !!!

Looks like a threading tool to me as well

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes that one is a threading insert, the .062R insert hasn't arrived yet but on the other hand, it is the boring bar.

OK, I did get it to work! I had to lie to Bobcad, I used a thickness of 1/8 inch and .5 width for the toolholder and the insert was .125 thick, .125 projection and a .125 tool length. I also noticed that the odd shape of the tool in the simulation is because it cuts on the Z axis rather than the Y in an isometric view which sort of resembles the way it's programmed, sort of! Even then, the simulation basically showed a 2D tool and holder. The back plot does give a much better representation including the thickness I used though neither is very suitable for boring tools.

Last edited by L98FIERO; 07-06-2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: New information

Downloads
    Uploads

More progress!!!!! I was going to post the exe of the simulation but at 48MB as a .rar file..... It still protests a bit but we are making progress!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boring simulation-sim-jpg  
    Last edited by L98FIERO; 07-06-2018 at 10:34 AM. Reason: grammar

Downloads
    Uploads

I think a discussion with Rob regarding the creation of this tool and the process, whether drawing the geometry or just punching in numbers, would help here (he understands the tooling.

I will look at the machine definition with regards to the files setup a bit later...

Downloads
    Uploads

The simulation seems to have issues in that there is no way to create the clearance on the underside of the boring tool, it simply extrudes a surface which of course creates interference below the cutting edge. I suppose if there was a way to create a 3D model of the boring bar it would work as the simulator does take the solid into account.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by L98FIERO View Post
    I suppose if there was a way to create a 3D model of the boring bar it would work as the simulator does take the solid into account.
    Pretty sure you can model everything about a tool and the holders. I dont know anything about this because i dont know anything about tools, so i dont do it...

Rob? Al? Beuller?

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the best I can do. Just guessing, but it looks like what you were trying to use, and it sims without errors...

- - - Updated - - -

It's definitely a tool definition thing

Code:
    https://youtu.be/m2waVn8QR4w

Downloads
    Uploads

That looks great Burr but I suppose that gets me to a different point. I see you've used Rhino to create the tool, where is there an explanation of how to have Bobcad use a tool from a 3D model, I couldn't find a way to import one? There are videos on how to create mill tools inside Bobcad but I've seen nothing for lathe tooling.

Apart from that, your video shows you panning and rotating with the mouse, is there a setting to turn that on? I thought that was lost in V30 as I can no longer do it.

BTW, thanks for the help, you and a few others are great help for the rest of us.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by L98FIERO View Post
    That looks great Burr but I suppose that gets me to a different point. I see you've used Rhino to create the tool, where is there an explanation of how to have Bobcad use a tool from a 3D model, I couldn't find a way to import one? There are videos on how to create mill tools inside Bobcad but I've seen nothing for lathe tooling.

Apart from that, your video shows you panning and rotating with the mouse, is there a setting to turn that on? I thought that was lost in V30 as I can no longer do it.

BTW, thanks for the help, you and a few others are great help for the rest of us.
    I drew a 2d outline of what "looked like your tool, in MoI (my bobcad is not fully functioning, a long story)... no 3d model. Same as drawing it in BobCad.

I TRIED to make a tool with it, but as i mentioned before, i dont really know how. I just waddked through the dialogue with "pick reference" and pick geometry" etc... lol

Had to go back into the deeper dialogues and change a few values again, hoping to stumble on it...

I stumbled. Hence the video that shows something "close", but no help with what you need to do with a real tool.

Someone who knows how to setup a tool properly will have to help you...

Navigation: same as its always been.
    Maybe a new thread and we'll see if we can figure out why it quit working for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast