Need Help! Drag knife and Bobcad v26

Thread: Drag knife and Bobcad v26

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Drag knife and Bobcad v26

Does bobcad have whats referred to as "corner actions" for drag knife applications? (Donek tool)

Sharp corners are achieved with what are referred to as corner actions within the CNC tool path. These corner actions instruct the CNC to raise the blade such that the tip is just barely in contact with the material surface. The machine then moves through a very small circle around the tip of the blade causing the blade to rotate, while the tip of the blade remains in the same location. The machine then moves the blade back to the cutting depth and resumes cutting.

Do I need special software?

No special software is required if you do not need or require sharp corners in your cuts. If you round off or fillet all the corners on the part you intend to cut, you can simply treat the Drag Knife as an engraving bit and cut on your vector/line. Care must be taken when creating your tool path to ensure the tool starts and ends on each cut in the same orientation.

If you want to cut sharp corners in your cut parts or do not wish to worry about blade orientation at the beginning and end of each cut, you will need either SheetCAM, Vectric VCarve Pro 7, or Vectric Aspire 4. All of these CAM packages offer drag knife tool path capabilities with corner actions. SheetCAM Offers offset compensation as well making it possible to cut details smaller than the tools offset as well as producing greater precision in your finished part.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Drag knife and Bobcad v26

In a pinch, I have drawn the arc at sharp corner for the cnc to follow. Not so difficult. It would be nice is BC had this feature.

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by artracing View Post
    In a pinch, I have drawn the arc at sharp corner for the cnc to follow. Not so difficult. It would be nice is BC had this feature.

Rob
    I can fillet corners...but if you want sharp corners the tool needs to go up just to top of material and circle around then go back down...do able but not fun to setup

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you put in a feature request with Bob ?
    They do listen,,sometimes

Downloads
    Uploads

an example of how the toolpaths would look...could do something manually , but that would be quite a pain....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    no intention of upgrading any time soon...just a hobbyist..

Downloads
    Uploads

I know the plasma side had corner options. I haven't used that in a LONG time. It used to have an option where it would cut like a 4 on the corner to get the blade straight for the next straight line.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    I think I saw the request put in a year or more ago.
    It would be a HUGE selling point. Anyone who does CNC vinyl needs this.
    I actually invented another application for it, but it’s now propritory for me.
    Bobcad, please do this as a addon to all your versions.
    I would pay for it.

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

I use a vinyl plotter and Sign FX for vinyl, are you cutting something too thick and hard for a plotter to handle?

I quite like targeted ads if they're not intensely annoying so I'll enable ads when your advertisers stop using annoying sounds, annoying slideshows and annoying animations