Training Professor V20

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Professor V20

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Training Professor V20

Does anyone know of a reason why we couldn't sell our Training Professor CD Video Series V20? I haven't found any restrictions about it but it feels a little like selling your newspaper back after you have read it. We bought the training set to try to lean BobCad V20 to see if it would do what we wanted (which it could). We ended up going with another program though.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

someone should buy it if it is priced to sell,not sure about the program the learning cd's don't require a registration number

thanks Kenneth
    www.lambertsrc.com

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by partsman
    Does anyone know of a reason why we couldn't sell our Training Professor CD Video Series V20? I haven't found any restrictions about it but it feels a little like selling your newspaper back after you have read it. We bought the training set to try to lean BobCad V20 to see if it would do what we wanted (which it could). We ended up going with another program though.
    I have the BobCADCAM V18 training CD's. I did not find them to be useful at all to learning good modeling or machining practice with BobCADCAM. Total waste of money.

jon

"I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them." ... Jimmy Hoffa

Downloads
    Uploads

the v20 are nothing like the v18 the v19 is nothing like v18
    IMO the cds are great even v18 if you don't already know everything there is to know about cad-cam, I learned to use bobcad by useing the cd's,so I guess that would depend on how much you need to learn and how much you already know as to wheather they are wothless or not.

thanks Kenneth
    www.lambertsrc.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

V20 cds are worth every penny. I've used BCC since V17, and there's no way I could have learned to do solids without the cds.

Martin

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kenlambert
    the v20 are nothing like the v18 the v19 is nothing like v18
    IMO the cds are great even v18 if you don't already know everything there is to know about cad-cam, I learned to use bobcad by useing the cd's,so I guess that would depend on how much you need to learn and how much you already know as to wheather they are wothless or not.
    I've had several people tell me that the V20 videos take the same approach of going through the menus and trying to explain every command. This is no way to learn best practice modeling or machining in BobCADCAM. This is the reason why I believe you and others liked the links to videos that were posted so much and were so excited about them... because they actually teach best practice modeling and machining ! I believe TJones also commented something to the effect that the videos posted were better because they were *actually done by a machinist*.... TJones can correct me if I'm wrong about what he posted. I think I got it right. Based on the e-mail I have received asking for help and a link from a very, very frustrated BobCADCAM user on the BobCAD Official Technical Support Forum this weekend I know that BobCADCAM users are not getting a fair shake when it comes to the Offical BobCADCAM documentation or videos. How many people have requested a complete VB Scripting Guide on the BobCAD Official Technical Support Web Forum since BobCAD V18 yet they still have nothing ? This despite the FACT that the official BobCADCAM V20 manual is called:

"The Complete Guide To BobCAD Version 20 Software".

If the offical videos and the "The Complete Guide To BobCAD Version 20 Software" were any good you would not have the clamoring for the video links that were posted that show *the basics* of good modeling and machining practice with BobCADCAM.

jon

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm willing to give our original offical BobCADCAM V18 Videos away to the first person that drops me an e-mail and request them. Since they don't teach best practice modeling or machining I don't have any use for them. They are done by the same person who did the V20 videos.

jon

Downloads
    Uploads

They may have been but they are totally different .

thanks Kenneth
    www.lambertsrc.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Why are you even on Bobcad link it seems you are very good at al cad cam programs ? I am here to learn Bobcad not to be discouraged. Yes the videos that Sorin posted are better than the learning cd's but all of us were not born with a cad-cam program in our hands, that might be why they are learning cd's for the program. Do you have anything good to say about Bobcad? I think this forum is for Bobcam users and surely you are not useing Bobcad sense it is such a terrible program , there has got to be some reason you convinced your boss to upgrade to v20! I would like to know what part of the program was good enough to convince you to do that.

thanks Kenneth
    www.lambertsrc.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Jon,

I did say that I felt Sorin's videos were great because they are made by a machinist that actually has to use the software to make parts. I do not have any of Bobcad's videos to comment on though. I am not sure what all they contain but going through menus are almost a requirement for making Help files. I am not sure how this relates to a training video however.

I have made a few manuals and help files for some grinding programs and must say everyone has required me to put in every menu item in the software. I wish I had the CD's just so I can comment. I know for certain however that when giving a class going over each menu item causes the class to fall asleep.

At least on a video you can fast forward.

Try this www.bobcad.com/tech

There is a manual there for V20 scripts. Not complete but it is there. Bobcad adds commands between updates and they may not be in the manual. Also there are several undocumented commands that we do not know when they were added.

Last edited by tjones; 01-24-2006 at 10:39 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I too have used both v18 video and the new v20 and yes the v20 while being made buy the same highly allergic constantly sniffling guy, they are done in more of a task oriented layout. You can also choose a certain task from a menu instead of having to fast forward thru a multi hour video file. V20 video salesman did seem to make a few claims that I feel the set failed on. One thing in particular was that it was to explain how to create and edit your own post processors. Unless I missed it or have an incomplete set, I failed to find any info of the sort. All in all, helpful... would I need it if the book was better? no Ill live with them tho, really helped fill in the blanks when it came to the 3d surface stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads

To be honest I did find the V20 videos to be very helpful. You are not going to walk away a seasoned programmer after watching them but you will walk away with a good understanding of how the software works and how to get started. We started shopping for software over a year ago with 0 CAD/CAM experience and, before getting the cds, we waisted many hours randomly poking around the software and reading the tutorials. The cds gave us a great place to start and we were able to progress nicely from there. There were many "oh.. so thats how you do that" moments while watching them. They take you step by step, although fairly briefly, through every menu and feature.

BobCad bashing seems to be quite a sport here. I have to say that we evaluated dozens of CADCAM offerings in the last year or so and BobCad came out at the top end of our list for what we wanted to do with it. Its not for everyone. There are many faults with it but in that price range they all had plenty of them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Would rather have the V20s to compare because I never had V18 software. They had it but never used it until I came back to work and went straight for the upgrade. They upgraded to V19 the to 20 and I will see very soon if 20.6 fixes my precision issues in 20. It wasn't so bad as to ever crash or do damage just to make it really hard to polish. While testing the dlls for 20.6 I had plenty of problems but thats what you get with testing.

The new programmers are working furious on these changes and thats why they get errors after the fact. 20.6 seems to have addressed most of mine but the best is yet to come.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

"yes the v20 while being made buy the same highly allergic constantly sniffling guy"

Too funny. You definitely made my day. Thanks !

jon

Downloads
    Uploads

Red face Basic Scripting

Jon,

What is the difference between Visual Basic Scripting and Basic Scripting?

I looked online for a book containing Basic Scripting and found nothing.

Call me stupid, but I don,t know the difference.

Visual Basic sounds like it has to do with CAD and Basic sounds like functionality. Am I close, or Am I out in left field?

(the blue guy is me, the other guy is Scripts)

tobyaxis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i cant recall exactly or vouch for the truth to it, but i think i read in one of the forums that bobcad wont provide a complete list of thier scripting vocabulary. is this somehting you hear about?

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis
    Jon,

What is the difference between Visual Basic Scripting and Basic Scripting?

I looked online for a book containing Basic Scripting and found nothing.

Call me stupid, but I don,t know the difference.

Visual Basic sounds like it has to do with CAD and Basic sounds like functionality. Am I close, or Am I out in left field?

(the blue guy is me, the other guy is Scripts)

tobyaxis

With Visual Basic you can build stand alone applications. Machinist Toolbox is built with Visual Basic. NC Plot is built with Visual Basic (see the NC Plot Forum here on CNC Zone and give it a try.... it's free to try while it's in Beta and it sure beats the pointer in BobCADCAM ! :>) Even G-Zero is built with Visual Basic.... it's a language based CAM program. www.g-zero.com

Visual Basic Scripting is a macro language that does not support building stand alone applications. It's designed to be used inside a program to add functionality that the user of that program desires.

Nice to see you post here, Toby. I think you will like CNC Zone

jon

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by erase42
    i cant recall exactly or vouch for the truth to it, but i think i read in one of the forums that bobcad wont provide a complete list of thier scripting vocabulary. is this somehting you hear about?
    Yes. It's been a problem since V18. From what I can tell nothing has been done about it since V18. What I do is guess a lot and make use of the script recorder and then look at the code it produces. A lot of people resent having to do this because they expect proper documentation.

jon

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jon,

That SUMs it up for me.

tobyaxis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hey jon, what sort of things do you accomplish with the scripting in bobcad? Ive managed to write a couple simple ones. one that allows me by entering dimentions of length and height to automatically draw an arc and measure its radius. Something that do very often in my work. ive since switched to an excel spreadsheet which gives me the numbers i need but also calculates materials usage and pricing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast