BobCAD? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: BobCAD?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have had BOBCAD since version 14, even though I have never made apart with it!
    I finaly figured out the reason I was having trouble by buying or trying a dozen other programs.
    I was trying to buy a solution to the problem of thinking through my work, and I had no experience.
    Bocad takes a different thinking than some other programs that "do it all for you" IT expects you to have a general idea how you want to make the part, it doesn't take an idea I might have about a part and figure out how to make it for me. IT records toolpaths, based on what I put in and then generates machine code.
    Bobcad has the most extensive post processor library of any opf the stuff Ihave tried, Even a multi thousand dollar package.
    So the answer is always the same Garbage in Garbage out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Bobcads moving up

I've been in the machine shops for 35 years. One thing I can say is that if you think somethings good, someone will think it's bad. If you think it's bad, someone will think it's good. If we all liked the same thing, what a boring world it would be..
    Everyones different and most of the time when someone likes a certain software, it's because thats the one they used the most and got used to. i started on mastercam and for years thought it was the only program worth using. That was untill I took the time to learn others. Now i think I could use almost any program with good results if i take enough time to learn it.
    I think bobcams version 20 is dollar for dollar the best thing out there right now. Like any program, take the time to configure it in the begining to get it the way your used to working. It's very configurable...
    I really think it has advantages over mastercam in a lot of ways, as mastercan has it's.
    A lot of people say Bobcads support is slow. Sure is, but if they got the money others get for their software, they could hire lots more people and have a great tech support. Me.....I'll wait a few hours for an answer cause I know they'll spend the time to get my problem solved.
    Hey but that's me..

Downloads
    Uploads

Lively group....so who is flicking BobCAD....I need something to start on....well focus on....well gnaw at.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

well, just to let you know how much I like bobcad.... well I spent about a total of 8hrs programming... reprogramming.. fixing programming from bobcad for a part for nasa, I bet the part could have been programed in half hr on a decent cam system and machined in half the time.(took 8hrs to machine)
    This is bobcad 19. Also, the sales people drive everyone nuts, I downloaded the demo a while back and practically before I got it downloaded they were calling me and hounding me to buy it. I havent had any experience like that before.
    They hounded my boss at work so much to buy it he gave in because he had a hard part to program, it probably could have been done by hand in the same amount of time it took to do in bobcad.

For some stuff, bobcad is partially decent, but I wouldnt choose it over ANYTHING else.

Jon

Downloads
    Uploads

BobCAD is for some and not for others. Did you contact tech support with your problems or, if it was a bug, did you let the staff at BobCAD know so they can rectify it. The only way software developers can keep their customers happy, is from customer feed back.

"A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

One of the 'bugs' is that it puts a G42 in everywhere for a tool offset that should not be there, its basicly the way it opperates, you dont have 'opperations' then post the code, it posts the code and if you want something changed you have to redo it.

Kookaburra, have you used bobcad before?

Jon

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I have used BobCAD before and I still use it. You can choose to use G41, G42 or not. If you choose to use it BobCAD should only put it in the program where needed. If you are getting it on every line then check that you have your g-code modal or non modal option set correctly or if you don't want it at all, then simply turn compensation off in the NCCam.

As far as operations are concerned, yes, that is a thing that BobCAD lacks, however there is a possibily that it will be included in the next version so I hear.

"A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNCdude
    Dung, you have a good point but the last part of your post is absolutely rediculous. That's all the attention I'll give it. As far as the first part, yes BobCAD is a highly useful tool on the shop floor. Yes, we do take experience into the picture. This is also why we offer so much training with our systems.

Due to our price structure, a lot of beginners start with BobCAD. They become familiar with the basics and then as they progress they have questions. We assist them. There are jobs BobCAD V18 would have trouble with. This is why there is such a thing as development.

Have a good day.

CNC Dude

Chris,

In looking through posts and scripts it's my opinion that HuFlungDung knew exactly what he was talking about when it came to BOBCAD-CAM and was a very highly skilled BOBCAD-CAM user who IMO, BOBCAD-CAM should have worked with to improve the product.

This is especially obvious to me because I don't feel I'm anywhere near as productive as I should be with BobCAD-CAM because I don't feel I have a full understanding of how BOBCAD-CAM makes it's decisions. Our shop upgraded to V20 and while it's better I still have a lot of issues with getting the control I really want in BOBCAD-CAM.

I always seem to have to edit my G code and I don't wish to do this. I wish to have BOBCAD-CAM generate the code I want... not close.... exactly what I want.

My programming times on simple parts, while getting better, are still to high when compared to what I can do in other CAD-CAM systems.

HuFlungDung may never return but understand that I think BobCAD-CAM lost a very valuable resource when he decided to change to OneCNC. The shop that I work at will not be changing so I need to find away to be much more productive with BOBCADCAM than I currently am. Scripts definitely help but I am experiencing way too many problems with the basic tools and making these tools react in a reliable and repeatable manner. I constantly get G code I don't want that I have to edit and I find this to be objectionable as well as a massive time waster.

I certainly could use your help in getting much more productive much quicker.

jon

Downloads
    Uploads

Jon,

Your boss can afford to pay you to troubleshoot and edit programs but cannot buy you some software that posts out correctly? Does he like it when you have to prove out every program in single step mode on the machine, too? There is some kind of a lesson in economics to be learned there, methinks

For as much fun as I had at the time when I was heavy into the Bobcad scripting scene, looking back on it now, it was a colossal waste of my time. Every time you turn around to do something, you have to invest more hours writing scripts to do it.

For the modern shop with a typical variety of work, work from which you must make a profit, there is simply not enough time to reinvent the wheel with scripts, hand editing, etc. I cannot fathom saving pennies on software, while handing out pounds in wages to my programmer/machinist.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung
    Jon,

Your boss can afford to pay you to troubleshoot and edit programs but cannot buy you some software that posts out correctly? Does he like it when you have to prove out every program in single step mode on the machine, too? There is some kind of a lesson in economics to be learned there, methinks

For as much fun as I had at the time when I was heavy into the Bobcad scripting scene, looking back on it now, it was a colossal waste of my time. Every time you turn around to do something, you have to invest more hours writing scripts to do it.

For the modern shop with a typical variety of work, work from which you must make a profit, there is simply not enough time to reinvent the wheel with scripts, hand editing, etc. I cannot fathom saving pennies on software, while handing out pounds in wages to my programmer/machinist.

Murray,

I believe I completely understand what you are saying.

Here is the difference. I work for a shop I really like. You believe you own your shop. There are things you can change that I can't.

If I wish to stay employed at the shop I work for, I have to accept their choice of BOBCADCAM. I learn a tremendous amount from my boss and I very much like working for him. I won't leave based on their choice of a CAD/CAM system. Further, the owner of the shop I work for is a very nice man in a business filled with jerks.

If you have *any* tips on how to make some of BOBCADCAM tools predictable I would very much appreciate an e-mail or whatever. I have to find someway to cut programming time even if it's still not competitive with OneCNC, MasterCAM, etc.

IOW, I have to make the best of BOBCADCAM for now.

Again, I would appreciate any notes or help you may still have on how to be semi productive with BOBCADCAM. BOBCADCAM blew it big time for not finding away to work with such a skilled user like you. I'm sure OneCNC won't make that mistake. I always found Bob Francis to be very likable as well as a straight shooter. He deserves to be very successful.

jon

Downloads
    Uploads

I understand your position, Jon and that its not your place to buy the software that you have to use. What kind of machining operations are typical at your shop?

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yup, Onecnc appreciates the heck out of Hu and so do all of the users on the Onecnc forum, myself included. Let's face it the guy has a huge brain full of machining information, is willing to share it, and is a genuinely nice guy. You'd have to be crazy to ever turn a guy like that away, it isn't like guys like Hu are standing on every street corner waiting to help you improve your product.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nervis1
    Yup, Onecnc appreciates the heck out of Hu and so do all of the users on the Onecnc forum, myself included. Let's face it the guy has a huge brain full of machining information, is willing to share it, and is a genuinely nice guy. You'd have to be crazy to ever turn a guy like that away, it isn't like guys like Hu are standing on every street corner waiting to help you improve your product.

Excellent post.

The word crazy never occurred to me. Other words did. None of them can be typed here with the exception of two:

Incredibly stupid.

jon

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hu,

Lots of semi conductor type work, Lots of fiber optic work, RF type enclosures from a chunk of aluminum with lots of detail, walls, etc. All long time customers.

Parts used in custom machines for the semi conductor industry.

There are lots of fab plants in the Phoenix, Arizona area.

jon

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234