Regrinding tools: shims vs "Tooling Data" parameters

Thread: Regrinding tools: shims vs "Tooling Data" parameters

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Regrinding tools: shims vs "Tooling Data" parameters

The standard way to offset the material lost in each new tool grinding (or after every "n" grindings at least) is to use shims to accommodate both punch and die heights.

However, modern machines (our Vipros is not that new but has this feature) include "Punch Height" and "Top Pos Adj" parameters (in fact there´s also a "Cut Line" parameter available but the manual advises never to touch this parameter).

So, my questions are:

1) What are the pros and cons of each method ? Having these parameters available makes shims unnecessary ?
    2) "Punch Height" parameter looks very much self explanatory, but the "Top Pos Adj" parameter is unclear to me (and mentions shims in the description). Could anyone give me further explanation on how to set it after a tooling reground ?
    3) Are both the shim and adjusting the tool necessary ?

Also, I acknowledge the fact that these parameters are station related, and each station may work with different tools, so it might be "easier" or more consistent to use shims and not touch these parameters after every tool change.

I will appreciate your comments.

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Regrinding tools: shims vs "Tooling Data" parameters

Shimming the die after grinding is absolutely necessary. You do not want dies that are next to each other at a different height. This will cause the material being punched to dent and warp.

After grinding a punch, you will have to adjust the length of the punch holder to maintain a certain length. In imperial units it is 8.200 inches, which is 208mm. I typically don't adjust the "Punch Height" parameter which should be set at the actual punch length.

The "Top Pos Adj" refers to the waiting position of the punch when the table moves without punching. If you increase it, the punch will "wait" in a higher position. If you decrease it, the punch will "wait' in a lower position.

Hope this helps

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your help. Your explanation regarding die shimming is perfectly clear and I had not noticed the fact that different die heights when they are close to each other might affect quality of the job (although you have given me before a similar tip, which I follow, regarding forming tools close to punching tools). I appreciate it.

Regarding punches, we have a collection of old tools and new tools and some would require a shim to get to the standard length after grinding if I am not mistaken.

Regarding "Top Pos Adj", does it only reflect on a faster job or there are some other mechanical issues involved ?

Regrinding tools: shims vs "Tooling Data" parameters-punch_height-jpg

Yes, some of the older punches and punch holders may require shims to achieve proper length and setback. Setback is the distance between the end of the punch and the stripper plate. The newer tools are adjustable and don't require shims.

"Top Pos Adj"---If you lower this setting the sheet cycle time will indeed be faster. There are occasions when you need to increase it. For example when you have a warped sheet or forms already in the sheet. You may also need increased stripping time when punching thicker material.