New grizzly G0704

Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: New grizzly G0704

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New grizzly G0704

Juts got the new 2010 Grizzly catalog and saw this new mill http://grizzly.com/products/Drill-Mill-with-Stand/G0704

What do you think? Better than the X3? I have been on the fence about doing an X3 for a year now and now I see this. More travel, 1hp, a stand, etc....

Was looking at a CNC Fusion Kit fror the X3- would have to scrap idea that and go it alone if I went this new route...

Just looking for any input from others that saw this as well. Thanks and have a great New Year!

Similar Threads:

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

it looks alot like the lathe master LMT25L

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have never seen that before - I think you are right. Very similar if not the same with a few tweaks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by madtownrob View Post
    Juts got the new 2010 Grizzly catalog and saw this new mill http://grizzly.com/products/Drill-Mill-with-Stand/G0704

What do you think? Better than the X3? I have been on the fence about doing an X3 for a year now and now I see this. More travel, 1hp, a stand, etc....

Was looking at a CNC Fusion Kit fror the X3- would have to scrap idea that and go it alone if I went this new route...

Just looking for any input from others that saw this as well. Thanks and have a great New Year!
    The machine itself is about 100 pounds lighter than an X3--That's not a good sign for rigidity. The base is about the same size on the bottom, but much less beefy.

The table is larger and so is travel, but that saddle looks very skinny. I doubt the table will hold the 150 pounds that the X3 will.

The X3 is also taller. The X3 Throat is almost 2 inches larger and it has a bit more spindle height above table. The 1 HP motor should draw more than 3.5A, so I don't think that is real.

Drilling capacity & end mill capacity are only 3/4 that of X3. Dials are calibrated .002 compared to X3 .001 and .0005 on Z.

For Grizzly to be able to sell this WITH stand for about same as X3 means cost savings happened that probably decrease its utility.

All in all, I get the impression that this mill is lighter duty than X3. I place it somewhere between the X2 and X3--And certainly below the 1.33 HP SX3.

CR.

http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks CR - after getting the LM post - looks like this is a BF20.

Lighter is not better.....was really liking the travel on the X and Y

As far as the SX3 vs. X3 - most of the recommendations that I have read is to buy and CNC the X3 - not the SX3....

So I guess I have even more to read-up on!

Downloads
    Uploads

SX3 vs X3:

http://crevicereamer.com/Page_26.html

(S) X3 CNCFUSION travel extensions:

http://crevicereamer.com/Page_34.html

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Now that a major retailer is offering these mills, they will no doubt increase in popularity.
    Not being one that has to rely on someone else making my conversion kit, I would take this mill
    over an X3 or SX3 anyday.
    The machine is lighter, but the column is boxed not open like an X3, a major design flaw.
    Rigidity would no doubt be superior to an X3.
    These Weiss/BF/Optimum type machines are far superior to the Siegs is quality too, just read some of the other threads currently running.
    Glad to see Grizzly step up to the plate.
    One more note, please don't attempt to ridiculously overtravel your mill, it is NOT a safe or recommended action by anyone that has machining experience.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Could this indicate that the BF machines are becoming more readily available in the USA? I'm sure that would make a lot of people happy, who are interested in the BF30 and BF46 variants too.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

CR - thanks for the links - I like that you have your webpages setup for FAQ's that pop up. I have read a number of them before but missed those 2 specifically

Hoss -

I read an earlier post from you where you did recommend that BF20 if it was available over the X3 - at least after I found out what this mill is. The only thing that scares me about the conversion is the Z - just where would I design/mount the stepper too? The front Fine Z knob or the top coarse Z?

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree longrat, the superior quality is bound to win over many folks.
    If they get the BF-46 soon, I'll be kicking myself for getting the RF-45 clone.
    Should be a good year.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by madtownrob View Post

Hoss -

I read an earlier post from you where you did recommend that BF20 if it was available over the X3 - at least after I found out what this mill is. The only thing that scares me about the conversion is the Z - just where would I design/mount the stepper too? The front Fine Z knob or the top coarse Z?
    I wouldn't use either knob, you'd just get added backlash, a direct coupling to the Z feedscrew would no doubt be the way to go.
    The motor could mount on top of the column.
    Hoss

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Design sometimes is better than just weight

I have a BF20L from Penn Tool and really like it. Even though I've heard the X3 is better than the X2 and C3 Sieg machines, after owning them and constantly adjusting them, I really was looking for an alternative when I decided to get something bigger. It's good to see that the US is finally getting more choices in the hobby market than the same machines painted different colors! The BF20 is a good design. Has large tapered gibs, and decent sized leadscrews and nuts, bigger than the X3 varients, I climb cut with it at will, it's very stable. It's ready to use when I want it, spend my machine time working WITH it instead of ON it. The long table comes in handy; it's nice to be able to have a couple setups on the table at once, cut gears between centers, and work on larger items without having to do multiple setups. I bought the Optimum/Top Tech version before Lathemaster (and now Grizzly) came out with the Weiss R8 version, which certainly is more convenient in the US tooling wise. I liked that it was a little lighter, as it was possible for me to disassemble it and move it into my apartment. If I really wanted to add weight to it I could also pour some "epoxy granite" in the base, so far I haven't seen the need.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    Now that a major retailer is offering these mills, they will no doubt increase in popularity.
    Not being one that has to rely on someone else making my conversion kit, I would take this mill
    over an X3 or SX3 anyday.
    The machine is lighter, but the column is boxed not open like an X3, a major design flaw.
    Rigidity would no doubt be superior to an X3.
    These Weiss/BF/Optimum type machines are far superior to the Siegs is quality too, just read some of the other threads currently running.
    Glad to see Grizzly step up to the plate.Hoss
    Hoss:

I think you are absolutely right about this mill. I knew nothing about it and was just comparing specs. Now that I have looked into it further, I can see it is a well built, quality mill.

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    I wouldn't use either knob, you'd just get added backlash, a direct coupling to the Z feedscrew would no doubt be the way to go.
    The motor could mount on top of the column.
    Hoss
    I found this old thread with a bunch of info about converting the BF20 to CNC.
    Several show the Z mounted on top of the column with plans to boot.
    Run this german guys site thru Google translate, he has lots of good pics of the construction.
    http://www.dirt-page.de/metall/cnc/umbau1.htm
    Hoss

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got my Grizzly catalog today and was very happy to see some new items such as this mill. I was a bit upset to see that some of their prices really jumped up on some of the lathes and mills. I've got my eye on a new lathe and mill the both machines went up several hundred dollars from last year making them even harder for my to save up for.

I hoped to get a larger mill/drill this year, but the X3 or the G0704 may have to fit the bill for now. I have a X2 right now and I could really use something larger for my projects. I find my self running out of the Y axis often which makes me really interested in the G0704 mill with larger travels than the X3.

I have been comparing the spects between the X3 and G0704 too, and agree that the X3 may be a slightly more rigid machine, but in the end ether machine is going to be way better than my old X2 !!! I just wish the Z height was a bit taller on the G0704. It's easy to run out of room when using a rotary table with a 3 jaw chuck on it.

Dale P.

Dale P.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been waiting along time for this mill to come here! And now Grizzly has it at a great price.

The only bad thing I heard about it was that it has slop in the quill, other than that it looks well made.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default BF20, LM25L, G0704 CNC Retrofit

Just thought I'd let everyone know that DamenCNC out of the Netherlands sells CNC retrofit kits for these machines, and are willing to ship to the USA. Shipping would be pricey I'd imagine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The 2" quill movement is a little low too. Drilling holes over 1 1/2" deep would be a pain, but I guess I don't do that too much anyway and could just use one of my drill presses for the task.

Dale P.

Downloads
    Uploads

The quill would be a moot point for most of us looking at this for a CNC retrofit.
    It would be locked in place for CNC operation.
    I dang near ordered one this weekend but my shop is crowded enough now.
    The price is SO tempting.
    Hoss

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Inch or Metric Screws?

Hi CR, my first post btw. I did not see the ".002" calibration spec anywhere for the dials. Could you please tell me if you got this from a spec sheet for the Grizzly version or did you have the actual Grizzly mill (or another version)? I thought the Grizzly version just became available? I was curious since this might mean that they are using metric screws instead of true-inch screws like I believe the Lathemaster uses. Thanks for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post

Dials are calibrated .002 compared to X3 .001 and .0005 on Z.

CR.

Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast