New Machine Build Emco F1 conversion

Thread: Emco F1 conversion

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Emco F1 conversion

I want to convert my F1 so I can you Mach3 to run it...

The 3 axis kit I'm looking at is this http://www.probotix.com/3_axis_stepp...or_driver_kit/

The problem is that I want to control the spindle as well. It's a 180V / 3Amp / 440W (~0.8HP) DC brushed motor. If anyone has a suggestion for a "cheap" solution I'll be happy to hear it. Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Digital Machinist Magazine did a total upgrade of the Emco F1 mill, written by Eugene N. Niegoff. I bought the 4 back issues; winter '06, spring 07, summer 07 & fall 07, for about $26. The info was worth it, in my opinion. He upgrades using Mach 3 OS and Gecko drivers. I recommend reading this before beginning your project. He covers the spindle motor upgrade, also. I haven't started my upgrade yet, and I have no connection to the magazine, other than being a subscriber.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

the original motormounts are standard nema size so most motors will fit rightaway.I'm replacing mine with 2.0nm steppers wich is probably way overkill.

about the spindlemotor
    The driver thats controling your spindle right now is just fine.It has a 110/220volts ac input(depending on your region)and a 180volts dc output.For rpmcontrol a simple potmeter can be used for manualcontrol.I guess mach and a likes should be able to be programmed to output the right signal to this driver.i haven't been able to find out what the correct signal is but i assume that it'll be around 0 to 12volts were the 0 is 400/min.rpm and 12v is 4000/maxrpm

these were all the instructions i received with the purchase of my own emco f1 i've have yet to find an occasion to start that project.

pls keep us posted and throw in lots o pics and i will try to be as helpfull as i can be.

Finally CHIPS you can have as much as you can without the doc. complainting about your cholesterol.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Emco F1 conversion

my problem is a mystery to me, I have, to my knowledge, tried everything to get my running spindle motor. The spindle motor is a DC motor max. 180 volts, placed on the spindle motor is a Rotery encoder with the outputs A and B and Z (Z but I do not use). The breakout board (5-axes) is a Mach3 HG08, ordered (CNC4YOU) Axes X, Y, Z, A, work perfectly. The B input is used for the spindle motor. Inputs are: GND, Vcc, CK, CW, EN (EN not connected). The first 5 are connected to a DG2S-16035 Servo drive (with 8 inputs total) via a UTP cable. Input 1 (CK) 2 (CW) 3 (GND) 4 (NOT USED) 5/6 (VCC) 7 (external DC power) 8 (External DC gnd). Encoder input of the DG2S-16 035 is connected via a UTP cable to an encoder interface, and the encoder interface is reconnected to the Rotery Encoder on the spindle motor. summarized: I have all the wires, cables, checked for fractures, but all cables are good. The settings in Mach3 (see photos). I have to be sure all components exchanged with new components, ie, the DG2S-16 035, the External Braking Circult Connector, Encoder Interface, and even the Breakout board (HG08), the Rotery Encoder, on The spindle motor, the result was the same, no rotating spindle. this is my schedule, drawn in paint.
    Emco F1 conversion-image-jpeg

Downloads
    Uploads

First, this thread is from 2008 with no activity since.

How do you have your spindle set up in Mach 3?

Relays disabled or not? Proper relay for each direction?

Do you have the axis enabled and the ports and pins are set correctly?

How are you asking for the spindle to start? Can you operate the spindle motor manually?

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Spindle set up in mach3(first picture)Emco F1 conversion-image-jpg
    Ports And pins(second picture)Emco F1 conversion-image-jpg
    I change The both zero's change to a one(1) on this picture you see both zero's, but in real they are TWO one's(1)
    Manual start with The program from The DG2S-16035 Servo drive (Servo configurator drive)Emco F1 conversion-image-jpgEmco F1 conversion-image-jpg
    Emco F1 conversion-image-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

I dont know anything about servos and their set up. However I possibly see an issue or 2.
    Your 1st screenshot shows that CW or CCW are both output 1. I would think it should be for 1 direction only. Place a 0 in the dialog box of the direction you dont use.

On your 2nd screenshot you show pins 10 and 11 for the step and direction of the spindle. No port address has been selected. Again IMO (which could be wrong) select pin 10 for the direction, 11 is an input pin IIRC. Select port 1 as the direction port. This might be what you are referring to in the statement "I change The both zero's change to a one(1) on this picture you see both zero's, but in real they are TWO one's(1)", however if that is the case, it should show this.

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by slow_rider View Post
    I want to convert my F1 so I can you Mach3 to run it...

The 3 axis kit I'm looking at is this PROBOTIXâ„¢ :: 3-axis-stepper-motor-driver-kit

The problem is that I want to control the spindle as well. It's a 180V / 3Amp / 440W (~0.8HP) DC brushed motor. If anyone has a suggestion for a "cheap" solution I'll be happy to hear it. Thanks!
    Did you find The problem already??

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello, know that this was a long time ago, but did you change out motors and electronics to be able to use MACH3?