Need Help! Mini-lathe crosslide issue

Thread: Mini-lathe crosslide issue

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mini-lathe crosslide issue

It appears to me that you have positioned the component in that location for filming purposes only as that's not where it goes...I don't believe. Having said that, have you mounted its corresponding piece on it and measured that. It's hard to believe that would leave the factory so out of whack, so I would guess if you mated the other piece to it, the fit and measurement would be correct.

Stuart

"THE GRIZZ" photo album - https://goo.gl/photos/yLLp61jooprtYzFK7
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT2lq9obzEnlEu-M56ZzT_A

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    It appears to me that you have positioned the component in that location for filming purposes only as that's not where it goes...I don't believe.

Stuart
    Yes, I put the piece like that only for filming purposes only.

Having said that, have you mounted its corresponding piece on it and measured that. It's hard to believe that would leave the factory so out of whack, so I would guess if you mated the other piece to it, the fit and measurement would be correct.

Stuart[/QUOTE]

The other matching piece doesn´t have that "step" on it, I can make a new video to show you both pieces if you want. I don´t know if all the chinese lathes are like mine from factory but that height difference makes that not the whole surface is matching the other and I think it´s bad. I also don´t know if there is a way to solve it or I may buy a new part.

Downloads
    Uploads

Could you draw a picture from an end view showing the surfaces and that step. I'm having a hard time visualizing those two surfaces, the step, and how they're situated on the bottom of the cross slide.

I grabbed this picture of what I believe is the same generic Chinese import lathe as your and there appears to be a step in the cross slide way similar to what you may have. What it's purpose is, I don't know. Is this the same as your machine?

Mini-lathe crosslide issue-metal-lathe-m100-5-jpg

Stuart

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini-lathe crosslide issue-metal-lathe-m100-5-jpg  
    Last edited by atomarc; 04-30-2023 at 08:38 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I made a new video, I hope to clarify my explanation. My English is soooo rusty! I should practice a little bit more.

My main worry is that not all the surface is contacting because of that "step". I believe that something is wrong there, but you can tell me better.

Last edited by lean032; 04-30-2023 at 10:17 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

It appears that the dovetail with the step was ground so only a portion of the flat surface rides on the mating flat surface of the carriage. I think its fine. If you roughly assemble the cross slide to the carriage, take a depth mic or caliper, and check the height on both sides of the cross slide to carriage, you'll probably find it's right on the money. Without a bunch of precision grinding and maybe scraping, there isn't much you can do, and It will last for a very long time as it is now. That's my take on it.

Stuart

Downloads
    Uploads

I will do that! Thanks for your support dear Stuart!

Greetings from Argentina

Leandro

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lean032 View Post
    Hi everyone. Can you help me with this? (sorry for my english)

Thank you!
    It's called a cross slide because it sits 90 degrees to the z plane across the bed.

I would correctly orient the crosslide and check again, however even with the error you indicated, in the correct plane it wouldn't make much difference to the machine accuracy because you adjust tool height with an adjuster or shims.

I would build the machine and stop overthinking it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by servtech View Post
    It's called a cross slide because it sits 90 degrees to the z plane across the bed.

I would correctly orient the crosslide and check again, however even with the error you indicated, in the correct plane it wouldn't make much difference to the machine accuracy because you adjust tool height with an adjuster or shims.

I would build the machine and stop overthinking it.
    I made another video for you in wich you can see what´s exactly going on. Thanks for your support!

Downloads
    Uploads

I have 2 of those lathes , neither has the that relief step . . It looks to me like someone started cutting too deep then realized their mistake and corrected it .
    Overall , you won't lose the rigidity that your concerned with , but you may end up with a bit of premature wear due to the smaller contact surface
    What is the width of your contact surface ? it looks to be around .25" (6mm) . If thats all you have for contact then I suggest replacing that piece .They sell that piece on aliexpress for 40-50 dollars which makes it hardly worth re-machining it

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    I have 2 of those lathes , neither has the that relief step . . It looks to me like someone started cutting too deep then realized their mistake and corrected it .
    Overall , you won't lose the rigidity that your concerned with , but you may end up with a bit of premature wear due to the smaller contact surface
    What is the width of your contact surface ? it looks to be around .25" (6mm) . If thats all you have for contact then I suggest replacing that piece .They sell that piece on aliexpress for 40-50 dollars which makes it hardly worth re-machining it
    Yes, unfortunately it´s only contacting 5.3 mm width

Downloads
    Uploads

thats not enough contact . It's fine if you are using it on occasion but if you plan to get a lot of use from your lathe then thats likely to wear over time .
    I'm going out on a limb to expect thats a 7x14 or 7x12 lathe , heres a replacement (or it should be) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...d=Uv9fZQL1cmnz

alternative is to put it back together and return it to the store you bought it from

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    thats not enough contact . It's fine if you are using it on occasion but if you plan to get a lot of use from your lathe then thats likely to wear over time .
    I'm going out on a limb to expect thats a 7x14 or 7x12 lathe , heres a replacement (or it should be) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...d=Uv9fZQL1cmnz

alternative is to put it back together and return it to the store you bought it from
    Thanks for your response and support. I´ll take a look at that page to get the replacement. The problem is that, as I live in Argentina, there are a lot of restrictions to bring imported products and you end paying like 3 times the cost of it (not to say that our economy is destroyed)

Do you think that grinding it would be a possible solution?

Downloads
    Uploads

chances are you'd be opening a can of worms with doing any re-machining to the bottom of that slide . There isn't much clearance between the slide and the top of the saddle . If you machine that surface chances are it will lock down on the top of the saddle , meaning you'll have to re-machine the dovetail deeper on the slide , or , machine an equal amount off the top of the saddle . Replacing it would be the easiest solution

If getting the parts is that much trouble then I suggest running it as it is and monitor it , just keep it well oiled
    Even with only the 5mm contact surface - it will take a fair while to see any signs of wear if you keep it well oiled . The friction isn't to an extreme so it may surprise and not wear at all within a certain amount of reason .