Base for benchtop mill?

Thread: Base for benchtop mill?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Base for benchtop mill?

Thinking about a base for a benchtop mill. It's not terribly heavy - maybe 250 lbs tops. I have a sturdy bench made of angle iron but it has no good shelves or storage underneath. I could add something but considering getting a large toolbox and mounting it on top. That would give me lots of drawer space for tooling. Tooling will add considerable weight so I may be reaching the weight limit. Thoughts?

Thinking of something like this and adding a butcher block top or something similar to distribute the load of the machine. Maybe a bit longer toolbox so I have room for the PC (it's CNC) and some additional work space. The control box is about the size of a tower PC so could go behind or on the end - probably behind to keep cables short and neat.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...ack-64458.html

We used a Husky tool box for a similar manual mill at work and it seems to work fine except the wood top is only a bit over an inch thick and bowed slightly in the middle so it hits the drawer. The back edge is supported by the tool box back and looks fine. Thought about bolting an angle across the front to stiffen it up but haven't gotten around to it.

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Base for benchtop mill?

It would probably work fine assuming you are at like a 25 size mill or less. The G0704 base is pretty flimsy, as are the PM bases that I have seen. Reinforcement is a good idea if you go the toolbox route, but reinforcing sheet metal can be somewhat tricky. Especially thin low quality sheet metal. The big problem I personally have with using the toolbox as base is that it's kind of a waste of a work bench, IMO. Also, you kind of lose access to the tool box if the machine is running which isn't great. With my 0704 I built a base that holds the coolant, control, and enclosure then parked a tool box liked you posted right beside the machine for all the tooling. After a few years that box is basically full, as is the tool cart beside it. I use the work space on top of the bench to store stock, store completed parts, measuring instruments, etc..

Downloads
    Uploads

What's a 25 size mill? Haven't heard that term before. Got some examples? This is bigger than an X2.

Downloads
    Uploads

I did the toolbox base route on my G0704 and I felt it worked well. The box was braced internally and externally, larger casters were installed and all the drawers were usable. I'll try to insert two screen shots of the setup, but if you can take some time, you can see how it was done in my thread. https://www.cnczone.com/forums/bench...24194-cnc.html

Stuart

Base for benchtop mill?-screenshot-23-jpgBase for benchtop mill?-screenshot-24-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Base for benchtop mill?-screenshot-23-jpg   Base for benchtop mill?-screenshot-24-jpg  
    "THE GRIZZ" photo album - https://goo.gl/photos/yLLp61jooprtYzFK7
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT2lq9obzEnlEu-M56ZzT_A

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim27 View Post
    What's a 25 size mill? Haven't heard that term before. Got some examples? This is bigger than an X2.
    Precision Matthews PM25.
    Roughly the same size to G0704.
    A little bigger than the X2 and double it's weight.