New to me Yuasa mill - any info? Air collet?

Thread: New to me Yuasa mill - any info? Air collet?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New to me Yuasa mill - any info? Air collet?

Picked up a Yuasa mill cheap - $100 for this one and a Asian X2? mill that was hacked up to add steppers and controls for both. Not operational but doesn't look like much is needed besides a good cleaning and sorting out the wiring. The Yuasa looks to be an old but very nice CNC mill. Ball screws, 1.5 Hp Pacific Scientific PM spindle drive, Servo motors, R8 collet. It's a beast of a benchtop mill. Only thing that could be better is the size of the table. Haven't determined the available travel yet.

The tag has Yuasa and very limited other info. I see the company is still around but have a lot of bigger stuff now. Anyone know anything about this one? It has an air line off the top of the spindle that apparently is a collet closer? I know nothing about those so need to find out a bit about them. The original controls didn't come with it but some Gecko drives and a drive that looks a bit like a chopper treadmill drive for the spindle.

I will add some pictures when I have a bit more time...

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New to me Yuasa mill - any info? Air collet?

Here are some pics...
    On the backside of the top of the spindle an air hose connects to the white cover just below the pulley. It can be seen in the head picture but you can't tell if its a hose or electrical cable.
    New to me Yuasa mill - any info?  Air collet?-axis-motor-jpg
    New to me Yuasa mill - any info?  Air collet?-head-jpg
    New to me Yuasa mill - any info?  Air collet?-base-table-jpg
    New to me Yuasa mill - any info?  Air collet?-spindle-motor-jpg
    New to me Yuasa mill - any info?  Air collet?-tag-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New to me Yuasa mill - any info? Air collet?

Table travel set by limit switches is about 6" x 4" although the ways and lead screw look like the limit switches could be moved to get a bit more. Still pretty limiting. Z lead screw and ways are really long - didn't measure that.