Labvolt cnc stepper motor chopper drive settings

Thread: Labvolt cnc stepper motor chopper drive settings

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Labvolt cnc stepper motor chopper drive settings

Hi
    Can someone explain the dip switches and how to increase amps to stepper motor on these chopper drives

Currently if i go any faster than 14ipm the steppers lose steps

This is whst orig specs are 14 ipm max

Which is odd since i found info online stating that a chopper drive should produce more torque not less torque....

Losing steps at 14ipm or more seems odd ..the axis all move smooth by hand.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Labvolt cnc stepper motor chopper drive settings-untitled70-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Labvolt cnc stepper motor chopper drive settings

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby5041 View Post
    Hi
    Can someone explain the dip switches and how to increase amps to stepper motor on these chopper drives
    Which is odd since i found info online stating that a chopper drive should produce more torque not less torque....

Deleted.

Last edited by dazp1976; 08-16-2021 at 06:55 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi
    Hang on!!.

Might need to scratch my last post.
    Is it the light duty machine?.
    I downloaded a datasheet for the 220v version Eng.
    Guess what... On page 5 it clearly states: Feed Motors: Rapid traverse speed: 14ipm.
    It looks like that is it for you matey.

Dataheet from here:
    https://labvolt.festo.com/solutions/...tem_light_duty

Did you actually read anything about it first?.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is an old 1998 technology labvolt cnc...which is a sherline 5400 mill ( very capable home hobby mill for alum brass steel)

The stepper drivers are powered by 42v

I dont know stepper specs but they are nema 23 about 57mm tall

Which from my experience with all other cnc and 3d printers should handle over 100 ipm

Ive got tiny nema 17 on my 3d printer that csn do 100ipm rapids

Last edited by Shelby5041; 08-16-2021 at 08:23 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

note: im in the USA...mate

Yes i know about the orig labvolt specs im very familiar with the machine as it has been a 2yr project..there is very little online regarding these machines as far as retrofitting...most i had to do on my own...but those specs are built in controller controlled due to being a learning machine for safety and training purpose..and another note..i have the labvolt 5500 lathe and it has exact same steppers and same drivers and same ps and it can do 30ipm... per orig specs..and contacting festo didatic is a waste as they only respond to orig specs and will not elaborate on their proprietary system...as i said this is a sherline 5400 mill which has been same design for over 25 years basically..sherline has helped me out on mechanics but the electronics are labvolt proprietary which i eliminated the controller ...so the built in throttled ipm should have been eliminated

The controller was removed...its mach3 controlled now

Ive got a clamp on amp meter ill mess with switches today to see if i can get amps to increase

Last edited by Shelby5041; 08-16-2021 at 09:09 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes i know about the orig labvolt specs im very familiar with the machine as it has been a 2yr project..there is very little online regarding these machines as far as retrofitting...most i had to do on my own...but those specs are built in controller controlled due to being a learning machine for safety and training purpose..and another note..i have the labvolt 5500 lathe and it has exact same steppers and same drivers and same ps and it can do 30ipm... per orig specs..and contacting festo didatic is a waste as they only respond to orig specs and will not elaborate on their proprietary system.
    The controller was removed...its mach3 controlled now
    Ive got a clamp on amp meter ill mess with switches today to see if i can get amps to increase
    Check the stepper specs if you can using the model number that should be on them.
    Shouldn't really exceed what their maximum rating is with peak settings on the drivers.
    If you can't check specs then monitor motor heat with every change.

Do you have model numbers for the drivers and steppers?.

I realise you're in the u.s. but generally manufs keep the power output to machines the same. Just change the unit to suit the input supply as per country.

3D printers are completely different. They have no spindle loads working against them, hence why they only need small motors.

Downloads
    Uploads

hi daz

im referring to no load..rapid traverse only

my cheap 3d printer with nema 17 can do 100ipm not problem this damn labvolt nema 23 setup can only do 14ipm rapid ..any higher and it loses steps like crazy
    Labvolt cnc stepper motor chopper drive settings-d-m-drive-jpg

here is a better pic i found.online (this is not my board personally) .hoping someone can direct me of how to adjust the amps using the dip switches on the driver board..its a bit confusing

im trying to figure out how to increase amps to the stepper motor so i can reduce step loss but i just dont understand the DIP switches..i love these boards becasue they are old school and compenents are replaceablre..the one chip L297 just pulls out by hand and the other L298 just needs desoldering..and they are cheap to repalce..i have fixed a couple of these..the L298 chip on the heat sink is the most common failure..but remeber these boards are 25 years old so that is expected...most anyhting made today be lucky to last 2-5 years...Labvolt cnc stepper motor chopper drive settings-d-m-drive-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Labvolt cnc stepper motor chopper drive settings-d-m-drive-jpg  
    Last edited by Shelby5041; 08-18-2021 at 09:48 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just got a labvolt 5500 lathe and want to change out all the stepper drivers and put in a mach4 controller. Did you get yours working?