G0704 CNC Conversion - driver/BOB/Motor wiring woes

Thread: G0704 CNC Conversion - driver/BOB/Motor wiring woes

Downloads
    Uploads

Default G0704 CNC Conversion - driver/BOB/Motor wiring woes

Hello All -

I recently completed the physical CNC conversion on my G0704. I am running into some troubles getting everything wired correctly. I am trying to just wire up one driver/motor at this time to test and then will do the others.

Components:

BOB - CNC4PC C11G - With a Serial to USB (UC100) adapter. Mach 3 sees the UC100 driver fine.

Unknowns about the BOB:
    Light is on, on it, but is red, not green. Limited documentation means its "disabled", not sure how or why.
    5v is coming from the power supply
    Do I hook anything to the COM or Ground ports on the Output ports side? Looks like the COM ports have 5v on them.
    I have output ports 1 and 2 going to Signal pul+ and dir+ on the KL5056E (not sure if they should be going to the + ports, or the - ports on the KL5056E)
    I connected/jumped the en and 5v ports on the outputs side, as directions said this should "enable" the board.

KL-5056E Driver
    I matched the 4 wires from the motor to the 4 corresponding high voltage ports per the documentation.
    GRD and V are coming from the power supply

KL23H2100-50-4BC Motor on Y Axis
    Just matched the 4 wires to corresponding places on KL-5056

When I turn out power, motor has a light hum to it, so appears to be getting some level of power. No action when attempting to Jog or doing anything with it in Mach3.

Any thoughts or ideas on troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated, I added a few pictures too.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G0704 CNC Conversion - driver/BOB/Motor wiring woes-img_0809-jpg   G0704 CNC Conversion - driver/BOB/Motor wiring woes-img_0808-jpg   G0704 CNC Conversion - driver/BOB/Motor wiring woes-img_0810-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G0704 CNC Conversion - driver/BOB/Motor wiring woes

Quote Originally Posted by cetagloh454 View Post
    Hello All -

I recently completed the physical CNC conversion on my G0704. I am running into some troubles getting everything wired correctly. I am trying to just wire up one driver/motor at this time to test and then will do the others.

Components:

BOB - CNC4PC C11G - With a Serial to USB (UC100) adapter. Mach 3 sees the UC100 driver fine.

Unknowns about the BOB:
    Light is on, on it, but is red, not green. Limited documentation means its "disabled", not sure how or why.
    5v is coming from the power supply
    Do I hook anything to the COM or Ground ports on the Output ports side? Looks like the COM ports have 5v on them.
    I have output ports 1 and 2 going to Signal pul+ and dir+ on the KL5056E (not sure if they should be going to the + ports, or the - ports on the KL5056E)
    I connected/jumped the en and 5v ports on the outputs side, as directions said this should "enable" the board.

KL-5056E Driver
    I matched the 4 wires from the motor to the 4 corresponding high voltage ports per the documentation.
    GRD and V are coming from the power supply

KL23H2100-50-4BC Motor on Y Axis
    Just matched the 4 wires to corresponding places on KL-5056

When I turn out power, motor has a light hum to it, so appears to be getting some level of power. No action when attempting to Jog or doing anything with it in Mach3.

Any thoughts or ideas on troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated, I added a few pictures too.

Not much detail in the images tbf.
    Manual for that bob:
    https://www.cnc4pc.com/pub/media/pro...r_manual_2.pdf
    There's lot of wiring examples on the bob product page too:
    https://www.cnc4pc.com/c11g-multifun...cnc-board.html

Typical wiring example (common cathode) from another bob for reference:
    This is using the £5 board I've used for years.

Whereby: Yellow & green are in the Y axis pul/dir (P4/5)
    Purple is enable (P14 or other output of choice)
    Blue is from the 5v positive
    Red/black are from the larger DC supply to driver such as 24-50v or 24-80v etc depending on driver.

My question is though. Why the hotchpotch UC100? The 400eth isn't much more $.

This is the manual from the board I used in the image and may help as a reference to give you an idea.
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/rcUoUkdcE18/maxresdefault.jpg

Greetings,

For testing, try disabling the charge pump. I wouldn't recommend running a real machine with it disabled, but for testing it eliminates another variable. IF that's the problem, you can go into the mach set up screen and do the enable and setting for pin17 IIRC.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info and explanation. I used the UC100 as it was commonly used on this conversion, based on a lot of the research I did prior to sourcing parts for this conversion, so I went for it. I did use both the C11g guides and the KL5056 driver guide for the wiring, so I believe it to be correct.

What pictures/detail would be more useful to help explain the setup? I guess that at this point, the initial problem i need to solve is that I cannot get ANY green lights on the BOB, and it appears from the documentation that I should be seeing that if the wiring is correct. I have the enable jumpered per the documentation (EN/5v), and that should enable the board from what I am reading.

On the C11G BOB, I have one red light or two red lights, depending on whether or not I have the e-stop pushed. Should I get green lights, without any kind of inputs from Mach? Kind of seems like I should, but its not entire clear in any of the documentation.

I did disable the charge pump with the jumper to rule that out for the time being.

Downloads
    Uploads

Another question(s):

The c11G has a jumper for "IEEE1284 Compatible". I don't know if this should be set to "Compatible" or "Not compatible". It simply says that some motion controllers are not compatible. Or does it even matter?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello ,
    Have you found a solution to your problem ? I was going to suggest posting a picture or list what directions you went by to wire this up ? It would help us be able to tell what belongs and what does not belong . and if you could post your mach3 settings that would be useful as well sometimes you will get red lights until the proper setting is turned on in mach3