Need Help! Upgrade driver or stepper? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upgrade driver or stepper?

Default Re: Upgrade driver or stepper?

Quote Originally Posted by tkalxx View Post

Changing to a 0.2" thread pitch ball screw will make a massive difference (however not 10 times more like ChrisAttebery suggested):
    Yep, it was a SWAG. In reality I'm sure he'll just be happy if it there's a noticeable improvement.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
    Yep, it was a SWAG. In reality I'm sure he'll just be happy if it there's a noticeable improvement.
    Ahhh gotcha, didn't quite catch that! I agree though, with the upgraded motor and a finer pitch thread it should be a massive improvement.

Downloads
    Uploads

Progress! Well more like 2 steps forward and another step or 3 back. I have some other machining I need to do and is fine with just setting and locking the Z axis. I don't have it back together yet. I was messing around just setting the Z and found the extra friction!

The Z gib is not shaped right and the forward weight of the spindle is causing it to bind. It moves easy if you push at the right spot. That spot also happens to be where I was pushing it for my previous testing! Push it in the wrong spot and it feels locked. So more fun to be had but at least I know what's going on.

Last edited by tjbaudio; 02-21-2021 at 03:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Downloads
    Uploads

I think this is some sort of progress.

Downloads
    Uploads

I got the machine fully tore down today. Not good news on the Z axis ways. I found some scratched or galled surfaces on the gibb side. Slides smooth till you put a little pressure on it. then it locks up.

So now to plan a repair or replacement. Thinking bronze gibb and some how scrape the batting surface. How well does bronze on bronze work? I am concerned the cast iron is to crappy to last even with new surfacing and gibs.

Downloads
    Uploads

All sorts of professional machines use steel gibs, not bronze. Make sure the gibs fit properly. make sure the screws that are against the gib don't tilt or push it in the wrong orientation.

Downloads
    Uploads

Repair is on long-term hold. I was offered an RF-30 for free. I pick it up in a few months. Plan is to get the RF-30 cleaned up and running. Not planning on cncing it.

Once I have that working I can use it to fix this CNC.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123