Wrecked bearing, coolant contamination

Thread: Wrecked bearing, coolant contamination

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wrecked bearing, coolant contamination

Coolant and some chips got into my spindle bearings on my G0704.

I am shocked I haven’t heard of this before after taking apart my spindle for an autopsy of the bearings.
    I get that there can’t be a seal around the shaft due to high speed but there must be a way to stop coolant from getting in there.

I was so happy with my high pressure coolant, but milling with a 1/8” end mill choked up tight in an R8 collet slotting .375” caused a spray angle that had a good shot into the bearings, they made a bad noise and locked up enough to stall my stock motor, belt conversion spinning at ~4000rpm.

I am going to machine a disc and shrink it on, and put an oil ring behind that, pics to follow....

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Wrecked bearing, coolant contamination

I just use an o-ring above and below the spindle nut to form a labyrinth seal, it's pretty good but not perfect. Adding an oil drip took it to the next level. I've wrecked plenty of bearings over the years due to many reasons, but this spindle arrangement has been really good, basically maintenance free.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    Adding an oil drip took it to the next level.
    I’m very curious about the oil drip. Please tell me more.

I have seen a lot of bearing carnage too, I’m a millwright in a sawmill, last night at 3am we got a call because a conveyor stopped moving, found the tail drum bearing (2 15/16” shaft) had crapped out it’s rolling elements and the shift was eating into the pillow block. The company doesn’t want down time and in this spot it is a 2hr plus job to get to out and changed, that’s IF the shaft is still useable. All we did was repair the grease line going to it and pumped in two tubes of grease and let it run, until next scheduled down day....... in 3 days!!!
    I head back in a couple hours to see how it’s doing.

My spindle gets Vectra via the automatic oiler. My bearings were less than $20 for the pair. 6k all day and they are cool and quiet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth4 View Post
    Coolant and some chips got into my spindle bearings on my G0704.

I am shocked I haven’t heard of this before after taking apart my spindle for an autopsy of the bearings.
    I get that there can’t be a seal around the shaft due to high speed but there must be a way to stop coolant from getting in there.

I was so happy with my high pressure coolant, but milling with a 1/8” end mill choked up tight in an R8 collet slotting .375” caused a spray angle that had a good shot into the bearings, they made a bad noise and locked up enough to stall my stock motor, belt conversion spinning at ~4000rpm.

I am going to machine a disc and shrink it on, and put an oil ring behind that, pics to follow....
    You can get Rubber shielded AC Bearings that would help you with this problem, you can make a Labyrinth seal which will help also, so adding a slinger as part of a Labyrinth seal is the best way to go

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

My spindle gets Vectra via the automatic oiler. My bearings were less than $20 for the pair. 6k all day and they are cool and quiet.

Would you mind sharing the pair of bearings part numbers and supplier please? Thanks so much for your help.

Dave

Dave->..

32005 and 32007.

I forget what "brand" they are, but they both came direct from China. It was some random three letter name. I got them on ebay. They actually started sounding noisy and I put SKF bearings in the spindle, but I burnt those up and was in a pinch, so I put the noisy Chinese bearings back in to get the parts made. To my surprise they got quiet again after running them a bit with the automatic oil and they have been in the spindle ever since.

I have two complete sets of these (links below) in my drawer that I will install once the Chinese set go bad. Anyways, sorry for the long story, but some active lubrication seems to go a long way towards making the bearings last. Especially so with coolant.

https://www.vxb.com/ProductDetails.a...uctCode=32005X
    https://www.vxb.com/ProductDetails.a...tCode=Kit17439

Downloads
    Uploads

32005 and 32007.

I forget what "brand" they are, but they both came direct from China. It was some random three letter name. I got them on ebay. They actually started sounding noisy and I put SKF bearings in the spindle, but I burnt those up and was in a pinch, so I put the noisy Chinese bearings back in to get the parts made. To my surprise they got quiet again after running them a bit with the automatic oil and they have been in the spindle ever since.

I have two complete sets of these (links below) in my drawer that I will install once the Chinese set go bad. Anyways, sorry for the long story, but some active lubrication seems to go a long way towards making the bearings last. Especially so with coolant.

https://www.vxb.com/ProductDetails.a...uctCode=32005X
    https://www.vxb.com/ProductDetails.a...tCode=Kit17439
    I actually appreciate the long story with all the info you shared, as it's very much appreciated. Thank you and Happy New Year to you!

Dave->..

Downloads
    Uploads

...add positive air pressure of 1 to 3 psi to bearing housing (quill)...Bestway if, possible on your machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...add positive air pressure of 1 to 3 psi to bearing housing (quill)...Bestway if, possible on your machine.
    That is only possible if you are using oil mist lubed Bearings, you can not do this with Grease lubed Bearings unless you design a special chamber around the spindle In front of the Bearing, which would be difficult to do with this spindle

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

pressure,,,sea level

Last edited by machinehop5; 01-07-2021 at 01:29 AM. Reason: see level