PM-30 Build Suggestions

Thread: PM-30 Build Suggestions

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PM-30 Build Suggestions

I am weighting my options on upgrading my CNC from a converted Harbor Freight Mini Mill to a PM-30. I like that you can squeeze extra y travel out of the 30 and that it has a decent sized belt driven spindle/motor out of the gate. Since I already have a small cnc mill, a cnc router, and a manual mill i was considering building my own conversion kit. I was wondering if anyone had made a G0704/pm-25 conversion work on one of these. I also am considering just buying a conversion because I am slowly and painfully milling parts that I sell online on my current machine. I am eager to get up and running and think the purpose built conversion could be done quickly and efficiently.

My second question is does anyone know how many rippems (rpm) the factory spindle bearings can handle on one of these bad boys? If I were to change the ratio of the belt drive how fast can I go? I am not looking for blistering speeds but I will be using this machine for small production runs and the more rpm I can get the better.

Any other insight on common issues one might encounter while converting one of these machines would also be awesome!
    I plan to use closed loop nema 34's and linuxcnc.