Problem X axis table PM25 clone

Thread: X axis table PM25 clone

Downloads
    Uploads

Default X axis table PM25 clone

Table doesn't seem to be very true.
    Moving from right to left the first 250mm is level. Then it starts to lift and by the time it gets all the way across it's almost 0.1mm difference.
    Seems like it's a bit of a banana. Gib seems to be set correct.

At the minute I have left it with most of the right side hanging over with a 30kg vice sat on the end in the hope of 'bending' it back a bit.

Any advice or ideas?
    Is it just a case of 'it is what it is'?

Similar Threads:

Default Re: X axis table PM25 clone

Do you plan on working on anything that's 45cm long? If not, it probably doesn't matter too much.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    Do you plan on working on anything that's 45cm long? If not, it probably doesn't matter too much.
    At the moment 210mm is the most. I'll cut all those (to get some money in) then strip it down again afterwards.
    If I can't sort it out I guess levelling off a spoil board is my only option.

My G0704 table is like .003" low on both ends. I recently did a cylinder head project (16.5" long, 6" wide) and to get the mating surfaces really flat I lapped the head on my surface place. That said, you could always get your table surface ground.

Downloads
    Uploads

Install a cup grinding wheel In the spindle and surface grind the table in place.

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay so I investigated a little further today. Table itself looks flat and don't know if you'd agree with my assessment but....
    Once everything is loosened off, sliding the table by hand doesn't affect a dial indicator that much.
    It's looking like my ballscrew mounting is slightly slanted by a minimal amount (like 0.05 to 0.1mm).
    Once the table is moved a distance it starts to be dragged down by the screw on the fixed bearing end.

The ballscrew mounts (and the rest) were machined on my Sieg X2 which would explain a lot!!

Knowing what I know now I would tell anyone wanting to do a mini mill conversion not to bother.
    Save up a few extra hundred and get one of these 25 size machines to fit out.

Can you slot your mounts and level it out?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    Can you slot your mounts and level it out?
    I'm going to cut a few things on the right hand side for now then whip the whole thing out again.
    I'll put the mount/screw assembly in a vice and lightly skim the bottom 0.05mm at a time.
    Will be a pain to keep taking it out etc but I like the machine and is worth getting it perfect.