Looking for desktop machine suggestions

Thread: Looking for desktop machine suggestions

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Looking for desktop machine suggestions

Hi folks.

I'm looking for recommendations on a small desktop CNC lathe with a 6" or so swing and a length of 12-15", with a decent sized motor. I'd prefer a turnkey system. Did I mention it needs to be affordable (under $3k)? If the only way in at that price point is used, then who would you trust with your money?

Please, no "Get a Bridgeport", etc. I need to be able to move this thing somewhat easily while turning out wheels, axles, and other small parts in mild steel and brass.

Thanks

Chris

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for desktop machine suggestions

Excluding hobby types, there just isn't much to choose from. Emco still makes Concept Turn 105, but it isn't hobby priced. They do make a smaller one, but I'm not sure what you'd do with it. You can find much smaller(5-6" chuck) used lathes for less. Older Emco (120,220, 320, 325) are still around and there are a few other makes in similar sizes, like the various GT27 types in the US. In Europe also look for smaller Spinner, Schaublin, Weiler, and probably others I don't know about.

Downloads
    Uploads

A turnkey solution meeting your requirements doesn't exist for your budget.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all. I have adjusted my budget to better suit the market. I appreciate the input thus far.

I was looking at this machine: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 3e5fuNQWIE

I imported a large industrial laser cutter a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised by the quality. If you stick with established sellers and avoid the Ebay "bargains", you can find a decent machine.

Chris

These are the type of parts I need to produce in small quantities.

Looking for desktop machine suggestions-3pt5-trucks-unptd-jpg
    Looking for desktop machine suggestions-3pt5-wheels-closeup-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for desktop machine suggestions-3pt5-trucks-unptd-jpg   Looking for desktop machine suggestions-3pt5-wheels-closeup-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That looks like a lot of machine for the money.
    Please keep us updated about the final cost including shipping and duties( assuming you are in the US?).

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cncuser1 View Post
    That looks like a lot of machine for the money.
    Please keep us updated about the final cost including shipping and duties( assuming you are in the US?).
    Yes, there seems to be real value there. I am based on east coast of USA.

I've also placed an inquiry on this machine: Bench Top CNC | Little CNC Machines | Yornew Automation Equipment Co., Ltd.

Some good videos on youTube for it.

Hmmm...

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

A piece of advice: Step one of evaluating a machine is taking stock of the castings it is based on....... design principles, size(weight), rigidity.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cncuser1 View Post
    A piece of advice: Step one of evaluating a machine is taking stock of the castings it is based on....... design principles, size(weight), rigidity.
    Advice taken. Do you see any potential issues with the machines I am considering? I know they aren't the size and weight of a typical Haas/Bridgport/Etc., but they should be competent. Yes?

Thanks

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know enough about turnkey CNC to comment in depth. The first thing I noticed though is one is 5 times heavier and 5 times more powerful than the other. A summary read of the specs is these two machines are in different classes.

Do you have an idea of what you need in terms of spindle RPM, spindle power? What material are the wheels( Stainless or mild steel?). What is the diameter of your largest raw material ( ideally you'd want the raw material to fit inside the spindle bore).

I think getting feedback from previous buyers would also be important. $4600 seems like a good price, maybe too good, that is why I'd be reassured by feedback from successfully completed transactions.

Downloads
    Uploads

The Yornew machine looks like a dressed up 7x14 mini lathe. I.e. essentially a toy.

The CK0640A looks better.

I would want to see 'under the skirts' i.e. the iron structure, before buying.