G0704 CNC electronics.... take two?!

Thread: G0704 CNC electronics.... take two?!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default G0704 CNC electronics.... take two?!

Hey guys,

Current Mill Configuration:
    G0704
    570oz X/Y Steppers
    906oz Z Stepper
    Warp 9 Ethernet smooth stepper
    X/Y/Z proximity switches for homing

Since my MX4660 is currently not working, I would like to order new components to get the mill back up and running. I was looking at using individual drivers and a break out board this time around. What has everyone's experience been like using Kelling drivers? I would be using the KL-5056E (replaced the 5056D) for the x and y and their KL-8070D for the z. For a break out board I wias thinking the C11G.

There are a couple guys on YouTube using the Kelling drivers and they seem to work well. Id love to hear what other people are running and how they like it, or if you have suggestions for components not listed here. I'm still new to all of this and want to get this mill back up and making parts.

-Ryan

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G0704 CNC electronics.... take two?!

I'm using GeckoDrive G203V on all 3 axis of my X3 mill. Rock solid and very small compared to other drives I have had. I'm using them at 48 volts but they are good for up to 80 volts and 7 amps.

https://www.geckodrive.com/g203v-dig...tep-drive.html

This is them inside my cabinet.

G0704 CNC electronics.... take two?!-dscn8163-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rcheli View Post
    I'm using GeckoDrive G203V on all 3 axis of my X3 mill. Rock solid and very small compared to other drives I have had. I'm using them at 48 volts but they are good for up to 80 volts and 7 amps.

https://www.geckodrive.com/g203v-dig...tep-drive.html

This is them inside my cabinet.

G0704 CNC electronics.... take two?!-dscn8163-jpg

How long have you been using this setup for? Do you mind briefly explaining your setup, I see a lot of boards in your cabinet that I'm not sure i know what they are.

Side note, where did you get your cabinet from? I have been looking for an alternative to my old computer case that isn't going to break the bank.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice layout! - Do you have a picture where you call out all of the components and what they are used for?

[url]www.CNC-Joe.com[/url]
    CNC Is Not Just My Passion.. It's My Addiction !!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

The cabinet is a Yuco. Actual measurement is more like 23x23x7-3/4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YuCo-YC-24X...UAAOSwROldtxa~

Starting at the upper left is a terminal to distribute the 220 power coming in to the various power supplies and the DMM DYN4 servo drive. Next is the contactor that switches power to the DYN4. The large gray box is the DMM DYN4 servo drive that runs the 1.8KW servo motor that drives the spindle. Next are the breakers that protect the 220 to 48 volt toroidal power supply that is at the end of the top row. Row two starts with the 4 Gecko G203V stepper drives. I now have 4th one in there for a future A axis. The next two items are Zero crossing SSRs that switch the 220 power to the 48 volt power supply. The circuit board at the start of row 3 is a Mesa 7i76 which is driven by a 6i24 that is on the Mini ITX form factor.J1800 motherboard. Next to the right is a Mesa 7i83 which give me 0-10v output to control the DYN4 and 24000rpm aux spindle I have on the machine. The last items on the 3rd row are some terminal blocks, relays, fuse holders and last a 24volt power supply for field power. That long aluminum thing at the far right is a braking resistor for the DYN4 servo motor. The bottom row is the motherboard, hard-drive which is now a SSD and the PC power supply. In another attached cabinet is a line reactor that feed the DYN4 drive, another contactor, more filters and a Huanyang VFD for the 24K rpm 1.5KW spindle. Everything in the cabinet runs on 220 (well 245 measured) volts.

If I had the room a bigger or deeper cabinet would have been nice. It was a bit of a squeeze. If I had use typical stepper drivers it would have been even tighter. Using DIN rail was the best decision I made. Later when I wanted to add something I was able to just slide everything over and make room.

Many thanks to all on this forum that helped me with advice on component selection and VFD setup and also those that inspired me with their modifications like the DYN4 servo motor upgrade.

I have been using this cabinet for about bit over a year. My first case was also a gutted PC case.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks rcheli.

I ended up ordering the Kelling 5056E/8070D drivers, a C25 smooth stepper I/O board, and a C6 spindle control board. Once I they arrive and I get a chance to play with them ill update this thread. I hope they are more robust than the MX was.

-Ryan