Machining Wood on G0704?

Thread: Machining Wood on G0704?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Machining Wood on G0704?

Hey guys, I have a couple ideas for projects I would love to do on my CNC converted G0704. One is a small woodworking project and I was curious who has done any working on their machines? I've seen a few videos of guys making an adapter that bolts to the quill and use a trim router. I have yet to see any videos showing how well they actually cut wood?

Would love to hear your experience if you have cut wood on your machine before. Pics of links to videos would be amazing!

-Ryan

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Machining Wood on G0704?

A machine that will cut metal will cut wood just fine. You could hang a router on the spindle or just use the main spindle at reduced feed rates. I use router bits in my main spindle when cutting wood (I also use carbide tipped router bits for machining all metals as the need arises)

Here are a few pics of milling some MDF. I built a dust control adapter that clamps onto the spindle and hooks up to my shop vac.

Machining Wood on G0704?-img_0261-jpg

This is a gear case mockup to test the fit and confirm the tool path before I carved up a rather expensive chunk of aluminum. Using a 1/2 inch carbide tipped router bit.
    Machining Wood on G0704?-img_0263-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Machining Wood on G0704?-img_0261-jpg   Machining Wood on G0704?-img_0263-jpg  
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I've done it on my G0704. A vacuum is highly recommended. Otherwise it's no issue at all.

Downloads
    Uploads

Jim, what speeds/feeds are you using to cut the wood? Right now I have stock spindle bearings and motor, so I'm limited to around 2100rpm.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by janz99 View Post
    Jim, what speeds/feeds are you using to cut the wood? Right now I have stock spindle bearings and motor, so I'm limited to around 2100rpm.

I was most likely in that spindle speed range. I normally don't run my spindle too fast. You just have to match the feed speed to the spindle speed. I'm guessing I was running around 10 IPM or so. That was a few years ago so I really don't remember the exact numbers.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Great to hear guys. I'll have to look into the cutters I would need, most likely a 1/4 or 1/2" ball and then a long shank/flute length router bit in 1/2" as well. Any suggestions on good places to find cutters online? Currently i'm just using some hand me down 4 flute carbide endmills from work in 3/8 diameter.

Downloads
    Uploads

For online purchases, Router Bit World or Amazon is good. Locally, Home Depot or Lowes is a good source

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    For online purchases, Router Bit World or Amazon is good. Locally, Home Depot or Lowes is a good source

Where did you purchase the brushes you used on the brushes on your vac hood setup? Im thinking I could print something like that up for my mill.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by janz99 View Post
    Where did you purchase the brushes you used on the brushes on your vac hood setup? Im thinking I could print something like that up for my mill.
    I think those came from a shop vac brush attachment.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA