emco pc mill 50 & similar - Page 3

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: emco pc mill 50 & similar

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

phat, the fanuc looking control panel is an unnecessary luxury. All you need is the PC (ISA controller card) and the software.

It seems all to common that the controller cards are overlooked as a standard PC card, and vanish with the PC's that were once used to drive the machines. That happened with my machines also. I bought 2 new cards from EMCO in Columbus Ohio, I think between $600-800 each (3 years ago).

The machines I have are "55's". I've read in posts somewhere that the 50 and 55 use different cards.

KevinM

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

UNIMAT.... have you solved your PCMill-50 issues yet?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kevin,

Thanks for letting me know that the Fanuc Keyboard part is not needed. I heard back from the guy I purchased the machine from and the card is gone. At first it was looking like the card was going to be found but in the end it was thrown out by mistake. Crap. I have sent an email to Emco in Ohio but have not had a reply back. I am going to call them to see what the current price is. I was not really wanting to do a retro but if the card is 600 to 800 I may consider scraping the control and start over with modern electric. From the pictures that I have seen the cards are different between the PC 50 and 55. Thanks for the replay and will let you know what road I decide to travel.

Brian

P.S. Anyone have a extra RS-485 for a PC-50, Can't hurt to ask. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Emco Turn 50

I received a Turn 50 without the computer or software. In reading this forum I notice that there are several references to a dongle RS-485 board. Can someone tell me if it is really a dongle or simply a RS-485 interface card. I purchased a National Instruments dual port PCMCIA card for my laptop and hope to use it to run the Lathe once I find the software (an old version of WinNC). I am hoping it does not need to be an Emco board. They are rediculous in their pricing.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you are still on this forum, I would appreciate it if you could send me a pdf copy of the PC Mill 50 manual. I have just picked up a PC Mill 50 and acquired teh interface card and software. What I don't ahve is any manuals other than the electrical interconnect manual.
    Thanks,
    lanb@pobox.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Since this is the forum is the closest I can get to a PC Mill 50 forum I will try this question here. I have an Emco PC Mill 50 with cards, including the RS485 cards, that were pulled from a working machine. I have the MSD disk that matches the cards and a licensed version of WinNC for the Sinumerik 810M and WinCAM. The problem I am having is that when I follow the very brief instructions in the manual I get the following error: (from both WinNC and WinCAM)

Alarm: 2523 ORD1 INIT error on RS485 PC Board

This alarm occurs both with and without the RS485 card installed and with and without the PC Mill 50 attached to the RS485 card. I have tried all of the jumper locations on the board to no avail. I have tried reinstalling the software between jumper changes as called for in the manual. (Although, since the software is installed by an Emco SW installer it is not in the registry so to delete it I simply delete the various icons and remove the install directory)

The PC I am using is a Pentium 1 60 MHZ with Win98 SE installed and no other accessory cards installed.

If anyone has been able to solve this problem, I would really appreciate hearing from them.

Thanks,
    Lan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi! I'm completely new to CNC machines, having gotten a pair of "benchtops" barely a week ago. As a result of the local university moving their engineering lab, and these (Emco PC Turn 50/PC Mill 50) machines no longer considered acredited, they are now mine

I'm self taught on a manual lathe & mill/drill, but I'd be the first to admit that I wouldn't make a pimple on a real machinist's a$$!

I've got the lathe set up and ready to go, but the mill is still on the floor (connected to its terminals & pc). I am fortunate, in that I received ALL the required hardware (Emco Fanuc & PC terminals, computer, RS486(?) board, cables) and WinNC software, plus manuals for both machines and software. For $100.00.

The only material that these machines have ever cut, has been wax; would I have any problems resulting from cutting steel or aluminum?

I'm hoping to be able to produce some small adapter blocks that I use when adding an Oil cooler to certain models of BMWs. These were "hand made" (on my manual mill/drill) from 1" x 3/4" steel that I would buy from MSC.

Edit: (forgot the pictures of the blocks)

Any insight will be appreciated, as I don't want to damage either of these machines out of ignorance.

Thanks!

Randy

Randy Forbes, Sports Cars Plus, LLC
    [url]www.spcarsplus.com/gallery3[/url]

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a PC Mill 30 and while it can cut aluminum albeit slowly, it could never cut steel. These small machines were meant for teaching the mechanics of CNC machining. For steel you would want a much heavier spindle and a coolant system. I use a vortex air cooler when machining aluminum but there is just no way I have found to add liquid coolant and recovery system. $100... you lucky dog!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by txcowdog View Post
    I have a PC Mill 30 and while it can cut aluminum albeit slowly, it could never cut steel. These small machines were meant for teaching the mechanics of CNC machining. For steel you would want a much heavier spindle and a coolant system. I use a vortex air cooler when machining aluminum but there is just no way I have found to add liquid coolant and recovery system. $100... you lucky dog!!!
    Thank you. I will start with aluminum and see how it goes. Actually, to really be on the safe side, I'll probably start with wax!

Without knowing any better, I'm going to assume that the PC 30 is smaller than the PC 50 Series (?).

I too was planning on using a vortex cooler, just to save from the oily mess, more than anything else.

Yes, lucky; the $100.00 was a token donation (I was told I only had to donate $5.00, but I wanted to make it at least look sincere )

Thanks again!

Randy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quite a score Randy! How did you find out about these machines? I am always looking for clues on where to get such items. I have a PC Mill 50 that I am just now getting operational and will be looking of a PC Turn 50 in the future. I am about to order WinCAM from Emco so that I have a full CAD/CAM capability for prototyping in aluminum. When I got my PC Mill 50 I allso got a PC Mill 30 but I need to figure out what is wrong with the spindle drive electronics in that one. But, I got the PC Mill 50 working in all three axis and the spindle once I fugured out how to install the WinNC software .

Good luck and have fun making chips!

Lan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The PC Mill 30 is quite a bit smaller and lighter machine although the 30 is much sturdier than a lot of the desktops like a sherline or light machines.

If I am not mistaken the documentation for the 50 mentions mild steel as a material teis mill can cut. Yep just checked the manual and it mentions cutting 9s10 steel at 25m per min.

The 30 primarily mentions phenolic and wax in the manual.

I am in the process of buying a copy of WinCAM for the PC Mill 50 since I do not want to mess with gcode programming directly to the extent possible.

Keep in touch. I will be curious how your adventure goes. BTW, Emco still offers support via phone for the 50 adn has a number of parts and accessories still available.

BR,
    Lan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lanb View Post
    Quite a score Randy! How did you find out about these machines? I am always looking for clues on where to get such items. I have a PC Mill 50 that I am just now getting operational and will be looking of a PC Turn 50 in the future. I am about to order WinCAM from Emco so that I have a full CAD/CAM capability for prototyping in aluminum. When I got my PC Mill 50 I allso got a PC Mill 30 but I need to figure out what is wrong with the spindle drive electronics in that one. But, I got the PC Mill 50 working in all three axis and the spindle once I fugured out how to install the WinNC software .

Good luck and have fun making chips!

Lan
    Hi Lan, thanks! A local friend works in the engineering technology department, so it was definitely a stroke of luck (the machines would've otherwise been left behind in their move to a new building to be junked, possibly not even for their scap value).

I have been able to "jog" both machines through their x, y (& z) axis, but I have yet to turn the spindles "on" as I'm still reading the first (of three) textbooks my friend gave me. I don't know how to enter (or edit) a program yet; there's nothing wrong with the machines, it's me that has the problems

The PC Mill 30 is quite a bit smaller and lighter machine although the 30 is much sturdier than a lot of the desktops like a sherline or light machines.

If I am not mistaken the documentation for the 50 mentions mild steel as a material teis mill can cut. Yep just checked the manual and it mentions cutting 9s10 steel at 25m per min.

The 30 primarily mentions phenolic and wax in the manual.

I am in the process of buying a copy of WinCAM for the PC Mill 50 since I do not want to mess with gcode programming directly to the extent possible.

Keep in touch. I will be curious how your adventure goes. BTW, Emco still offers support via phone for the 50 adn has a number of parts and accessories still available.

BR,
    Lan
    Okay, good to know. For what I want to do (see previous posts) I could use aluminum, so if it will be easier on the machine(s), I'm okay with that.

Like I said, I have all the manuals and documentation, but I got the machines during a particulary busy period and haven't really had the time to devote to reading up on them, let alone to grasp the programing. I'm actually in Southern Louisiana as I type this, but once back home, I'll get the mill set up on its bench and get serious about them. I've got a couple of people lined up that will help me get jump-started (including the guy who made them possible), but I wanted to, at least, get some understanding under my belt before they try to teach me__I didn't want ALL OF IT to be overwhelming with zero concept on my part. As I read Basic Numerical Control (author escapes me at the moment) I am retaining some of it, so I think there's hope...

Yes, as I get "off the ground" I will post my progress here.

Thanks again for your help.

Randy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Woo Hoo! Wrote my first bit of code today (with a little bit of help from someone that teaches it) and finally got to see the mill's spindle turn.

We've got the first portion of my oil cooler adapter block programed, but I still need to measure and set all the tool offsets.

My tutor will be coming back on Thursday, so I hope we can get the remaining tasks written up, and debug a couple of lines that have errors (alarms).

I'm stoked!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

BTW, does anyone have a source for (or any surplus) ER 25 collets and/or the collet/tool holder? I'm looking for some 11-10 mm & 12-11 mm collets and the holders.

I'm guessing that if anyone has any, they're hanging on to them I would like to get at least two (2) more, just to fill out the tool library for this project.

I'm thinking that I could trade copies of the manuals or software for them...

Thanks!

Randy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, from what I have read an ISO30 or BT30 tool-holder will work. The difference appears to be in the provisions for the pull stud.

Tool Holders:
    Going with the BT30, there is EBay where you can search using just bt30; you can buy directly from Emco, you can contact Zak Lyons zlyon@emcomaier-usa.com; Andrew Manus may have some he can be found ad www.manus.biz; or you can try Maritool, look at http://www.maritool.com/Tool-Holders...duct_info.html

Collets:
    If you are in a hurry you can order individual collets from mscdirect.com. If you can wait there are entire collet sets available on EBay new direct from China. I just ordered a set and am wiating for it to arrive. I have read good things about the chinese collets on various forums but have not gotten my yet so I cannot comment.

Someone else will probably chip in th ename of another vendor that sells on ebay that has Emco toolholder, pull studs and collets but I cannot remember the store name.

I am jelous, I was ready to try some milling last sunday then decided I needed to lube my mill before doing any real work with it. Should have a gallon of lube today so I can get on with it.

BR,
    Lan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

BTW, does anyone have a drawing or source for pull studs that will fit the PC Mill 50 correctly?

Thanks,
    Lan

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a guy in Canada that makes the holders & pull studs, quality & prices are ok to
    He is mostly on Ebay's emco page

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    There is a guy in Canada that makes the holders & pull studs, quality & prices are ok to
    He is mostly on Ebay's emco page
    Thanks, I expect that this is who you're referring to: http://cgi.ebay.com/EMCO-CNC-MILL-TO...4.c0.m14.l1262

Do you know if the 55 Series also fits the 50 Series? A couple hundred bucks is a bit pricey, but if you say that's in line, then I guess it is (I have NO idea).

Lan, looks like you could get your pull studs here too.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Last edited by Randy Forbes; 09-09-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Duplicate post...?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, from what I have read an ISO30 or BT30 tool-holder will work. The difference appears to be in the provisions for the pull stud.

Tool Holders:
    Going with the BT30, there is EBay where you can search using just bt30; you can buy directly from Emco, you can contact Zak Lyons zlyon@emcomaier-usa.com; Andrew Manus may have some he can be found ad www.manus.biz; or you can try Maritool, look at http://www.maritool.com/Tool-Holders...duct_info.html

Collets:
    If you are in a hurry you can order individual collets from mscdirect.com. If you can wait there are entire collet sets available on EBay new direct from China. I just ordered a set and am wiating for it to arrive. I have read good things about the chinese collets on various forums but have not gotten my yet so I cannot comment.

Someone else will probably chip in th ename of another vendor that sells on ebay that has Emco toolholder, pull studs and collets but I cannot remember the store name.

I am jelous, I was ready to try some milling last sunday then decided I needed to lube my mill before doing any real work with it. Should have a gallon of lube today so I can get on with it.

BR,
    Lan
    I did order the individual collets yesterday (from MSC, as it turns out), so I should be getting them tomorrow.

The E-mail for Zak bounced back, but I sent one to their generic "info" center, and the Manus link didn't work for me either. I did go on the Meritool website, and their holders are definitely less expensive, but until the right pull-studs are located, they won't be of mush use. Let us know if you pursue that route.

Thanks!

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast