Spindle motor options for PM30 mill just a thought about Chinese router spindles.

Thread: Spindle motor options for PM30 mill just a thought about Chinese router spindles.

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Spindle motor options for PM30 mill just a thought about Chinese router spindles.

I don't actually own a PM30 but a similar machine based on the same castings and would like to raise the spindle speed to about 5-8k.
    Has anyone tried to use a down geared 10-20k router/spindle as spindle drive power source?
    Would this be a stupid idea?

Kind regards/Stefan

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle motor options for PM30 mill just a thought about Chinese router spindles.

Unless it is water cooled it will be a noisy solution. That will not be a good choice. Assuming that 8000 is the minimum speed for the motor you would have to gear it 16:1 to be able to get down to 500 rpm. At 24000 assumed max motor speed with 16:1 that would give you a top speed of 1500 RPM.

I used a DYN4 1.8kw and it is real quiet. I geared it up (1:1.8) and I can go from 150 to 5400 RPM. The motors max speed is 3000. I can also rigid tap with it.

John