I'm considering getting a small lathe for CNC conversion. I've pretty much decided on a 10x22 size lathe. Hate to go any smaller and the space available is very tight. Seems like the right size. I think I've narrowed the choice down to a Gizzly G0752 ($2550) or a Precission Matthews PM-1022V ($2300). I'd really like to hear opinions, particularly from owners of those machines. Is there a pick either way on quality?

As I now see it they compare on features as:

• G0752 has a 3 phase motor with real VFD (plus) while the PM has a DC motor with unknown controller.
  • G0752 has a threaded spindle nose while the PM has a "quick change" nose. Can anyone who's used the PM comment of this spindle nose?
  • PM has T-slots in the cross slide while the G0752 doesn't. T-slots would be useful for a tooling bar and/or back side cut-off tool.
  • PM has a QCTP which would have to be purchased for the G0752.

Other differences seem irrelevant for CNC conversion. Mainly the PM has a powered cross slide. Hate to pay for this and just tear it out.

So the features that can't be changed later are the spindle nose and cross slide T-slots. The motor/controller could be changed out on the PM but not cheaply.

Look forward to hearing your opinions. Thanks.

Hugh