New Machine Build CNC Optimum DM45 Milling Machine - Need advice - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: CNC Optimum DM45 Milling Machine - Need advice

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC Optimum DM45 Milling Machine - Need advice

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Added: I would not consider the Gecko 540 to be a state of the art controller / breakout board especially with only 4 inputs!
    You got my vote on this. There are much better and more economical options available today and I continue to see Linuxcnc users struggle to get this hardware working becasue its not designed for industrial 24 volt controllers. I did note one discussion where a recommended workaround by an Aussie distributor was not right and that the error pin required connection to a common earth which broke the advantages of the carefully designed isolated Mesa circuitry.

Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC Optimum DM45 Milling Machine - Need advice

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I've posted on here. I'm making a bit of progress on the machine at the moment. I've made the frame for the enclosure, still working on the pan. I almost have the Z axis complete. I'll post pics as soon as it's done. I have a question, and I'm hoping someone could possibly help.

I purchased my ball screws from a Chinese supplier. They have deep groove ball bearings attached. I have noticed a lot of people are using angular contact bearings. I'm wondering if the deep groove bearings will last or have a similar precision
    to the AC's. They seem like they are easier to install, not requiring a pre load. I'm not concerned about the fact the AC's are going to cost more. My worry will be making sure I get the pre load correct.

Has anyone used the deep groove bearings and had any success?

Cheers, Bob

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345