Stripped the column cap head screws on g0704 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stripped the column cap head screws on g0704

Default Re: Stripped the column cap head screws on g0704

I actually watched the video before I posted. A quick search turned it up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    It sounds as if the hex that the allen wrench fits into is what is stripped. If that is the case then the bolt will still be under terrific torque.
    That's what I'm scared off. I was thinking of using a dremel tool and cut off the Screw head. But since it's under torque might not be a good idea.

I was thinking because there are two other screws that are fine they will hold the column in place and I'll use a left hand drill and then a screw extractor to avoid having the bolt head pop off and fly out like a bullet.

Do you think an m12 screw can be extracted using a screw extractor of the right size?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    Just for reference, these are the bolts the OP is talking about

Attachment 422902
    Yup these are the screws I'm trying to get at.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm afraid I might just have to buy a new column and bar which is around 400 together. I guess I have to pay for my stupidity.

I was trying to tram the column, I was noticing

.001 deviation in the y-axis so I was tightening and loosening to get it right.

You are vastly over estimating the amount of force the heads of those bolts will have once drilled off. They won't even release in an instantaneous manner, they will deform and loosen before fully drilled.

There is nothing dangerous about drilling those bolt heads off. Stop being dramatic. Get your drill out, get a drill bit, and remove them.

Downloads
    Uploads

When you drill the head of a bolt off you gradually reduce the cross section that is still holding the tension. As you get closer and close to breaking through the tension will release gradually and you won't even notice that the bolt was under tension once off. That part won't be a problem.

As far as a screw extractor being able to do it, yes a big enough screw extractor will take one out . They get tighter as you try to loosen the bolt. Those extractors that I linked are not "normal" screw extractors, but have a shorter spiral section, a faster spiral and don't need as much depth as a "normal" extractor. They work really well on SHCS. I have a set of them. You can probably use a regular screw extractor, but the hex hole might not be deep enough as those need some depth to get a good grab.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    You are vastly over estimating the amount of force the heads of those bolts will have once drilled off. They won't even release in an instantaneous manner, they will deform and loosen before fully drilled.

There is nothing dangerous about drilling those bolt heads off. Stop being dramatic. Get your drill out, get a drill bit, and remove them.
    I'd use Cobalt drill bits on those. basic HSS take me forever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12