started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill - Page 2


Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 53

Thread: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

  1. #13
    Member BrianPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    16
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    Quote Originally Posted by sundewzer View Post
    How was the quality on your PM25? I am in the middle of my conversion on the 30MV. The biggest issue was when I moved any of the axis before I tore it down there was a horrible grinding noise from the grease being loaded with sand, I am guessing from the castings. Also I received it half the screws were loose including the largest one holding the column on. I will a little shocked when I was able to remove two of the 4 bolts by hand. All the lead screw except the y axis had powder coat on them along with a couple of the mating surfaces. One of my Z axis bearing was missing a ball. I am just unlucky or do I need to lower my expectations? I know for the price one can't expect perfection but from all the review I read I was expecting a bit better then what I got. I also have a lathe from them inbound on the slow boat and I am a bit concerned. Should I just plan on doing a full tear down on that as well to get everything cleaned up? I know there is no way I would have ran this mill out of the box.

    I have everything for my conversion sitting in the corner taunting me. I don't want to cut into the base until I get the conversion kit. David and ArizonaVideo is diligently working on them and I think it should ship this week.
    The only issue I had with my PM-25MV was that I had to add 0.004" of shim stock into the bottom front of the column to get the y-axis to tram correctly and the Z-axis square to the table- its not perfect still, but a thou over the travel of the y-axis is good enough for my needs right now. The bolts holding the head weren't super tight, but I had to loosen them for tramming anyway. Other than that, its just cosmetic stuff, but I didn't buy it for the looks..



  2. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    57
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    Quote Originally Posted by sundewzer View Post
    How was the quality on your PM25? I am in the middle of my conversion on the 30MV. The biggest issue was when I moved any of the axis before I tore it down there was a horrible grinding noise from the grease being loaded with sand, I am guessing from the castings. Also I received it half the screws were loose including the largest one holding the column on. I will a little shocked when I was able to remove two of the 4 bolts by hand. All the lead screw except the y axis had powder coat on them along with a couple of the mating surfaces. One of my Z axis bearing was missing a ball. I am just unlucky or do I need to lower my expectations? I know for the price one can't expect perfection but from all the review I read I was expecting a bit better then what I got. I also have a lathe from them inbound on the slow boat and I am a bit concerned. Should I just plan on doing a full tear down on that as well to get everything cleaned up? I know there is no way I would have ran this mill out of the box.

    I have everything for my conversion sitting in the corner taunting me. I don't want to cut into the base until I get the conversion kit. David and ArizonaVideo is diligently working on them and I think it should ship this week.
    when I gotten my pm25mv I wasn't too happy with their quality neither I complain about it little to Precision Matthews for the money I spent on it, I was expecting something little nicer. It’s a must doing a full tear down to get everything cleaned up and adjusted again, I feel like I shouldn’t had to gone thru this , but ½ a day later once done very thing worked out great, , Don’t buy the stand! The stand looks nice but I had problems with mind it rocking around on the floor I have a new house and the mill is in the basement I didn’t want to drill holes in the new floor, I ended up buying square steel tubing and leveling caster now it’s lot more solid, I think making a stand or buy a tool box would be lot better option, I also read the reviews before buying and comparing mills I’m happy I chosen Precision Matthews in my opinion I believe there better than others out there
    I made all of my parts at work/ I just received my ball screw from chia I’m getting close I need motors and few more smaller stuff
    like to see pictures of your mill and after the conversion , what are you going to put your electronics in?



  3. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    57
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianPM View Post
    IIRC, it was DHL, and there was a tracking number.

    ETA: I just checked my records... I ordered on the evening of 5/31, received the screws on 6/11, and was contacted by DHL with tracking info on 6/8.
    hi brain, i just received my ball screws today can you do me a favor check your lengths on them and make sure there right and let me know? mind seem a bit long



  4. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    34
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    I have 750mm on X, 350mm on Y, and 600mm on Z. Z can be a bit longer with no problem.



  5. #17
    Member sundewzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    17
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Cool Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    Yes, working on them
    GREAT! Thank again for all the information and helping me pick the motors.

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianPM View Post
    The only issue I had with my PM-25MV was that I had to add 0.004" of shim stock into the bottom front of the column to get the y-axis to tram correctly and the Z-axis square to the table- its not perfect still, but a thou over the travel of the y-axis is good enough for my needs right now. The bolts holding the head weren't super tight, but I had to loosen them for tramming anyway. Other than that, its just cosmetic stuff, but I didn't buy it for the looks..
    I didn't buy it for the looks either, if I did would have went the a Grizzly. Just can't beat that forest service green . What I did buy it for was moving the table and head. These thing are really hard to do when bearing are missing balls and bearing are packed with rust not oil.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/WmP2Xb7j1hoFuVEK6
    This just tells me that they have no quality control in the states. It was hard to turn the handle and the noise was awful. On the flip side all of the mating surfaces look great, that is once I got all the powercoat of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by rmachinist View Post
    Don’t buy the stand! The stand looks nice but I had problems with mind it rocking around on the floor I have a new house and the mill is in the basement I didn’t want to drill holes in the new floor, I ended up buying square steel tubing and leveling caster now it’s lot more solid, I think making a stand or buy a tool box would be lot better option, I also read the reviews before buying and comparing mills I’m happy I chosen Precision Matthews in my opinion I believe there better than others out there
    I made all of my parts at work/ I just received my ball screw from chia I’m getting close I need motors and few more smaller stuff
    like to see pictures of your mill and after the conversion , what are you going to put your electronics in?
    I am putting mine on a toolbox from Harbor Freight. I am guessing I will have to reinforce it. I went a bit overkill on the motors and went with all NEMA 34 Cleapath motors (CPM-SDSK-3421S-RLS). When I priced it out it was about $100 more than the DMM Servos and I got bigger motors that are all the same. Plus I have used Clearpath in the past and there customer support is next to none. I will using UCCNC with the UC300ETH-UB1 from CNCRoom. To answer you question, I don't know yet. I plan on 3D printing something but I am going to wait until I have it all setup to decided the best spot. The other really nice thing about the clearpath motors is I don't need a large enclosure because the controller are on the motors. All I have is the UC300ETH-UB1 and the power supply which I want in the open for cooling, probably on the back of the mill or toolbox.


    Here is the album for all the picture that I will keep adding to if anyone is interest.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ujsUpkb9SF3Q1r8Z7



  6. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    313
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    Quote Originally Posted by shooter123456 View Post
    I have 750mm on X, 350mm on Y, and 600mm on Z. Z can be a bit longer with no problem.
    I ended up with DFU screws of 800mm on X- made a thicker block for floating end. Cut down a 450mm on Y to fit- unsure on exact size. 650mm on Z to allow for my dual single nut design.



  7. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    313
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    Quote Originally Posted by sundewzer View Post

    I am putting mine on a toolbox from Harbor Freight. I am guessing I will have to reinforce it. I went a bit overkill on the motors and went with all NEMA 34 Cleapath motors (CPM-SDSK-3421S-RLS). When I priced it out it was about $100 more than the DMM Servos and I got bigger motors that are all the same. Plus I have used Clearpath in the past and there customer support is next to none. I will using UCCNC with the UC300ETH-UB1 from CNCRoom. To answer you question, I don't know yet. I plan on 3D printing something but I am going to wait until I have it all setup to decided the best spot. The other really nice thing about the clearpath motors is I don't need a large enclosure because the controller are on the motors. All I have is the UC300ETH-UB1 and the power supply which I want in the open for cooling, probably on the back of the mill or toolbox.


    Here is the album for all the picture that I will keep adding to if anyone is interest.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ujsUpkb9SF3Q1r8Z7

    I've gone Nema34 as well.
    For peace of mind really. Allows the gibs to be a little tighter than when using Nema23.
    Must admit though there is a bit of weight there on the X table end.
    Would you add something on the other end to balance it a bit?



  8. #20
    Member sundewzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    17
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    I've gone Nema34 as well.
    For peace of mind really. Allows the gibs to be a little tighter than when using Nema23.
    Must admit though there is a bit of weight there on the X table end.
    Would you add something on the other end to balance it a bit?
    The clearpath motor are only 4lbs and less than 4" long. I don't think a counter weight is required. If something was needed I would just shift the workpiece closer to the side with the motor on it so you have more overhang on the opposite side.



  9. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    313
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    Quote Originally Posted by sundewzer View Post
    The clearpath motor are only 4lbs and less than 4" long. I don't think a counter weight is required. If something was needed I would just shift the workpiece closer to the side with the motor on it so you have more overhang on the opposite side.
    I'll do that for now and see how it goes.
    Motor + bearing carriers weigh in just shy of 4kg on mine (8.5lb ish).
    My slow progress here:
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/bench...m25-clone.html



  10. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    57
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    I'll do that for now and see how it goes.
    Motor + bearing carriers weigh in just shy of 4kg on mine (8.5lb ish).
    My slow progress here:
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/bench...m25-clone.html
    wow your doing a great job!



  11. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    57
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    Quote Originally Posted by shooter123456 View Post
    I have 750mm on X, 350mm on Y, and 600mm on Z. Z can be a bit longer with no problem.
    yea my Z is about .200 longer



  12. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    401
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    If you get your X axis adjusted correctly the weight of the servo/stepper and hardware is absolutely inconsequential. For example, I tighten my ways until the X stalls, but I do that with two 4" vises and a 6" 3 jaw chuck at the end of the table at maximum overhang. I then take off the 6" chuck and generally the table runs freely. The two vises and the chuck are like 70lbs worth of weight. Even if I machine with two vises they are never at the end of the table, alway near middle, maybe slightly offset right to account for my tool height touch off on the left. Suffice it to say, this test shows how insensitive your table should be to weight changes.



Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill