Need help with "CNC'ing" SX4 BLDC controller

Thread: Need help with "CNC'ing" SX4 BLDC controller

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need help with "CNC'ing" SX4 BLDC controller

This controller runs a 1500W Brushless DC Spindle Motor. The ID printed on the board is "XMT_DRIVER_1500" and there is a daughter card plugged in that is labeled "XMT_CONTROL_1000&1500". I can find very little information on this board off the web.

Need help with "CNC'ing" SX4 BLDC controller-2019-03-03-17-27-40-jpg

I know the board is used in the Grizzley G0720 and the SX4 mills. It is also used in the Precision Mathews PM1228 lathe. The Grizzly documentation includes a very good schematic that identifies the wiring however most of the control lines go into a PCB on the front panel.

What I need to know is where to attach to feed it a on/off, cw/ccw, and a speed signal.

If anyone knows about this board, please let me know.

I have found where I can get a replacement board here:
    https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catal...Board-Complete

And a replacement motor here:
    https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catal...rushless-Motor

Grizzly Docs (Pg 39&40):
    https://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0720r_m.pdf

But no details on the board itself.

Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help with "CNC'ing" SX4 BLDC controller-2019-03-03-17-27-40-jpg  
    Last edited by maxspongebob; 04-01-2019 at 06:51 PM. Reason: need to add tags

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help with "CNC'ing" SX4 BLDC controller

Might or might not help you....Look on page 27
    https://www.axminster.co.uk/media/do...107_manual.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

I saw that. It looks like the Green connector has 3 connections that may help.

Looks like S1 is for CW/CCW. On the mill this is connected to the threading reverse switch.
    K3 and K4 are connected to the E-Stop switch. Although this can stop the motor, it can't start it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You need to find out 3 connections between the front panel and the CNC controller:

1. Potentiometer connections for speed control. It should be 3 wires: one ground and one supply voltage (usually 10V) outputs that go at the front panel potentiometer terminals (outboard terminals 1 and 3) and one speed signal input which is the poti middle terminal (no. 2) and which will be 0~10V measured against the ground pin, depending on the potentiometer position.

The CNC controller has an analog output which is 0~10V and should be connected instead of the poti to the motor controller ground + signal pins.

2. The FW/REV inputs must be traced to the front panel switch. There is no clear standard for this and you must see how the front panel wiring is done. Then the CNC controller must mimic this wiring using relays.

3. The emergency stop signal. Same as above. But do not skip it, unless you don't care about the machine or your fingers.

Disclaimer: I do not have your exact machine, but I have electrical knowledge and this is how it should be wired (in general). Now offcourse there are the ocasional oddities, so please measure twice and power once. Or risk extracting the smoke out of the components, and we all know they don't function properly if the smoke got out Need help with "CNC'ing" SX4 BLDC controller

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Solution found:

Little Machine Shop makes a board to do exactly what I wanted.
    https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...ProductID=4645
    It is intended for the XMT_DRIVER_1000 but works just fine on the XMT_DRIVER_1500

I did have to jumper an option pad on the back of the board, but it works.